Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no car, can I get campervan insurance?

Options
  • 03-05-2014 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi, so I don't own a car at the moment and tbh the only type of vehicle I would be interested in owning is a campervan (i cycle most places an rent a car if I need one). As I understand it though you need to own a car and have your camper a your second vehicle if you want to insure it. Is there any workaround or insurance company that will cover someone who just has a camper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Talk to the insurance co's or brokers, Stuarts insurance answered all my silly questions, although it does say that you need a main vehicle and provide proof of no claims

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try dolmen insurance if it's a good conversation or coach built they probably will but if they think you are trying to dodge tax or get insurance for a work van on the cheap the will say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

serious3 wrote: »
    Talk to the insurance co's or brokers, Stuarts insurance answered all my silly questions, although it does say that you need a main vehicle and provide proof of no claims

Only talked to fbd and dolmen so far, I'll give Stuarts a buzz after weekend. It's a main vehicle bit is the sticky, bikes dont seem to count :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

jjpep wrote: »
    Only talked to fbd and dolmen so far, I'll give Stuarts a buzz after weekend. It's a main vehicle bit is the sticky, bikes dont seem to count :-)

I known somebody with a camper as main vehicle think it's with dolmen and it's double so 700 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Yes if you don't have a "main" vehicle the insurance will be 700-ish rather than 350-ish.
    However - if you are a named driver on your partners/spouses car policy, that seems to satisfy the requirement. I think the car would have to be at the same location as you live - you can't just get added to your granny's who lives a hundred miles away - i.e. it has to appear (even if not true) that you use the car for most day to day driving. Me, I prefer the van!

• Advertisement
Advertisement