Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the worst film you've ever seen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

'Strength & Honour' Filmed in Cork about ten years ago and starring Michael Madsen. Without doubt the worst film I have ever seen...certainly the worst Irish film. Well, that and 'Sweety Barrett'.
    crush proof owns that award, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭trey99

666 the demon child, stephen kings the langoleers, giant shark vs giant octopus, all those crappy dance movies like step up, scary movie 3 onwards including.epic movie and the rest, alien vs hunter, great gatsby, the happening, resident evils, doom, i know who killed me, twilight series, land of the dead, after earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Dee Ayyport!

event horizon.

was good at that start but became too gory and violent
    ah now, brilliant film, even if it's a bit gory, its nowhere near the worst ever

Have you ever seen fire in zero gravity?
    It's beautiful. It's like liquid it... slides all over everything. Comes up in waves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

My own most hated:

The Medallion
    As an Irish Jackie Chan fan I was really looked forward to his movie set in Dublin, only for my eyes to be sh*t upon with one the worst disappointments in my movie viewing life. 'Abysmal' would have been a complement for this tripe.

Beyond Borders
    I seems that one unfortunate side-effect of making Angelina Jolie a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador, is that she would soon go on to make a this horrendous star-vehicle which spends pretty much all of its time being a tribute to herself. It's difficult to watch this and not want to throw things at the screen.

Leap Year
    So Oirish! So muck-savage-y! Did you know that the easiest way to get from Wales to Dublin was via Kerry? Did you know that in Ireland absolutely everything is closed on Sundays, and that the trains don't run? And also did you know that you could knock out the power of an entire Irish village with a US Blackberry charger?!! No? You didn't? Well maybe you need to watch this horrendous pile of twee cr*p to correct everything you know about Ireland. FFS...did they even look at a map of Ireland when they made this?!! :mad:

Friends with Kids
    I couldn't finish this one. The two main leads were directing AND writing, which is usually a bad sign. Put that together with Chris O'Dowd putting on a very weird American accent and the presumption that kid-rearing is nothing but misery (there is plenty of that to be sure, but give parents a break, it's not all horrible!). Put that together with some of the laziest acting I've ever seen, and you got a cluster-f**k of bad flim making. Few films make me stop mid-way, and this was one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bad movies can sometimes be good in there own right. Like most stuff Adam Sandler does is tripe in my eyes but it has a huge appeal for a certain audience and is very successful at it.

The worst movie I have seen in recent times is gangster squad. A truly awful movie it was supposed to be a throwback to a 50s gangster movie but all you got was cartoonish violence, campy characters who had no depth and you couldn't care if they lived or died. Entirely predictable storyline and terrible acting performances across the board.

put it on your avoid list if you havnt seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"After The Dark", or "The Philosophers"

An absolutely dreadful movie I forced myself to watch because of a mildly intriguing premise.
    A class of pseudo-intellectuals and the teacher that challenges them on understandings of philosophy.
    Painful, painful stuff. It's sitting comfortably on 75% or so on Rotten Tomatoes, I can't understand why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

crush proof owns that award, imo
    Disco pigs was worse, but even worse was Pavee Lackeen.

I worked in a cinema when that came out, and only the travelling community used to come watch it, and they would literally tear the seats up and throw them around the place....the film itself was rubbish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Year one
    Starring jack black

Worst one ive seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Where the Wild Things Are. Incoherent to put it mildly. I didn't get it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

The Darwin Awards - Basically the film consisted of events leading to Darwin Awards being acted out. If they had left it at that and acted out each story as a sketch it would have been an enjoyable film. Instead they added a plot involving insurance and murder. It was painful to watch.

Grease - I know it is beloved, but IMO it implies it is better to change to get friends and love, rather than just be yourself. Plus, most of the teenagers were played by people well in to their 20s.

The Sound of Music - Too many plot holes.

The English Patient - What was that all about? Was it an attempt to create a film based sleeping pill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Zaph wrote: »
    I thought that film was great craic. Having seen the trailer I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane, but it pretty much delivered what the trailer promised.

Yeah, what's not to like about zombie sheep? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Mamma Mia.

Awful rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Sarky wrote: »
    So dire I hunted down and purchased it, so I could show it to other people.

I once read that the guy who produced these din't write any scripts. He would simply film lots of various scenes and then build them up in to a movie later.

Then he would rearrange the scenes to make a new film, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Freddy got fingered

sweet Jebus :eek::eek::eek:
    The single greatest movie of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I just watched a contender there. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.
    It starts off as the fairy tale we all know and love. A brother and sister, roughly the same age, are led into the woods and left to die by their father. "Many years later", we introduced to these characters as adults - a very young and very beautiful Gemma Arterton, in her mid twenties, and a saggy faced middle aged Jeremy Renner, in his early forties. And it's all downhill from here.
    Why would bother making a film when you've given up on it before casting the two lead roles.
    Oh! They have automatic weapons. Lol.

Ah, now, I don't think that's very fair. It's a b-movie at heart, with big name actors in it. You're not supposed to take it seriously. That would be like watching Army Of Darkness and not liking it because it's dumb. It's meant to be dumb, and because it succeeds in that, there's a serious argument to be made that it's a good movie. Any ways, I enjoyed it far more than the other version, Hansel & Gretel Get Baked.

I've watched some God awful pieces of shit, but probably the absolute worst is Kiss Daddy Goodnight, with Uma Thurman in her first live-action film, and a small (And incredibly pointless) cameo from Steve Buscemi, my favourite actor. It's meant to be a noir thriller, but it's a meandering load of badly shot bollix. It's like they made the film using the treatment instead of the script. There's two films which made me actually angry they were made, and this is one of them (The other is Adult Child Of Divorce, which forgot it stars some great comedy alumni and winds up being tedious).

Where the Wild Things Are. Incoherent to put it mildly. I didn't get it at all.
    Denise Richards;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

peekachoo wrote: »
    *Paging Zaph to After Hours* :pac:

Just to highlight how bad it is, I'm nominating The Room for a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Wind That Shakes The Barley. How it won at Cannes is beyond me. Woeful bad acting. Actors smirking in scenes. No proper storyline and no effort to keep scenes authentic. You can actually see a silver Merc in one scene where soldiers are marching down North Main St in Bandon. I'd class it as a low budget effort.

It's reasonable, but not award-winning good. Most things that are filmed in or feature Ireland are blown out of all proportion by the meeja I find.
    There's a bright yellow Irish Rail phone visible in the railway station scene.

Heard an excerpt for Jimmy's Hall on Matt Cooper, similar-ish sh!te dialogue and OTT Cork accents.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

peekachoo wrote: »
    entropi wrote: »

Damn sub-etha must be on the blink, I'm only getting this page now. :mad:

Tbh, the film was more of a disappointment than downright bad. The source material is incredible and there was always a sense that they never really made the most of it. Some of the casting was questionable too, most notably Mos Def as Ford Prefect and San Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox. That said, there were some nice touches like the light sabre bread knife and Marvin from the TV series in the queue, but the new characters and story lines brought in for the film just didn't work imo.

On the plus side, the theme music is awesome! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

American Hustle. Talk about overrated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

entropi wrote: »
    Listen to the audio tapes / watch the TV series / read the book instead.

I'd have loved to see the play too.

Not the worst film ever , but the worst interpretation of the original work

You may obtain a copy of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy at major book stores throughout the Milky Way, or order direct from Megadodo Publications, Megadodo House, Ursa Minor, by sending 3 pounds 95 for the book plus 579 billion, 812 thousand, 406 pounds ,7 pence postage and handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Nixon, the only film ive ever walked out on.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113987/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Norbit

Norbit
    good god you've put me in a bad mood now, i hate that 'film' with a passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The blind side was on the other night, it was chronic. Can't believe sandra bullock won an oscar for it too, utter shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

anna080 wrote: »
    The blind side was on the other night, it was chronic. Can't believe sandra bullock won an oscar for it too, utter shyte

The alternative title is "Sandra Bullock Is Nice To A Black Person." The working title was "White Guilt: The Movie."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There has been so many rubbish ones I've seen. The worst was 'PS I love you' was a great book but the film just spoiled it for me!

Hallway pass' was it? 'Bridesmaids' is good took me time to warm to it I didn't like it when I first watched it yet it was a great hit! I suppose I just didn't get it or was a bit too much like the female version of the hangover but I prefer 'the Hangover' to 'Bridesmaids'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

Jumper....worst show ever made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Inception.

I hate that movie so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

It's reasonable, but not award-winning good. Most things that are filmed in or feature Ireland are blown out of all proportion by the meeja I find.
    There's a bright yellow Irish Rail phone visible in the railway station scene.

Heard an excerpt for Jimmy's Hall on Matt Cooper, similar-ish sh!te dialogue and OTT Cork accents.

One thing that annoyed me about that film as a Corkonian was that most of the actors who were supposed to be playing tough West-Cork IRA types spoke like well bred UCC graduates.

A lot of the 'action' sequences were unbelievably amateurish, the ambush scene in particular was totally unrealistic. I think that Cannes award basically amounted to a life-time achievement award for Loach...the film itself didn't deserve it.

On another note...'The Social Network'...why am I the only person to hate that film?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

On another note...'The Social Network'...why am I the only person to hate that film?!

No. I detested it too. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

That's my boy, with Adam Sandler. Cant believe i watched it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of the 'action' sequences were unbelievably amateurish, the ambush scene in particular was totally unrealistic. I think that Cannes award basically amounted to a life-time achievement award for Loach...the film itself didn't deserve it.

One of the smoke effect canisters was clearly visible in shot in the ambush scene. The TG4 reenactors would do a marginally better job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

It's not the absolute worst film I've ever seen, but I just watched The Lego Movie because it was hyped up so much and everyone seemed to love it, but what a load of ****e! How the hell did so many people love it? Rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

anna080 wrote: »

I know! I watched it too on TV3, curious to see how great Bullock was in it seeing that she won the Oscar. What a disappointment! It reminded me of a very mediocre made for TV film, not awful, just middling. Her acting was blandly adequate, Surely there were loads of female performances in 2009 that out-classed this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Jesus, I put this on on Sky On Demand a few weeks ago. I made it half way through before almost pushing myself off a cliff. What an awful film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I actually only ever walked out on one film - Alexander, words cannot describe how awful it was.

However the worst film i've ever seen was The Horse Whisperer, I would of left but I was only a kid so had to sit through it all, would rather eat my own face than see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

This film has Christian Slater, Cuba Gooding Jnr and others etc. Rented it on xbox movies and it was priced well below the usual renters. Now I know why! I'm guessing the budget for this was around £10.50 and all the fizzy orange and sandwiches the cast could consume.

Avoid!

SD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

StudentDad wrote: »
    This film has Christian Slater, Cuba Gooding Jnr and others etc. Rented it on xbox movies and it was priced well below the usual renters. Now I know why! I'm guessing the budget for this was around £10.50 and all the fizzy orange and sandwiches the cast could consume.

Avoid!

SD

Which film would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Seems to be so bad it didn't even have a name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Seems there's 2!
    "Sacrifices" and "Lies & Illusions"
    No idea which is shíte & which is the modern cinematic masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Seems there's 2!
    "Sacrifices" and "Lies & Illusions"
    No idea which is shíte & which is the modern cinematic masterpiece.

I thought the title was there, ah well. This cinematic waste of time is Lies and Illusions. *shudder*

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

It's no Happy Gilmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Freddy got fingered

sweet Jebus :eek::eek::eek:
    I don't get the hate for Freddy Got Fingered. I think it's a great film.

"Look Daddy, I'm a farmer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

XXX the one with vin diesel. And most recently a zombie type film with dexter fletcher. "Dead men walking" or "autumn" for the USA market as it was named.
    Both personally the worst films I've ever seen.

It's in the post's subject line... may not be visible on mobile boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Inception was absolutely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

fear and loathing in LA, the worst by a long way

• Advertisement
Advertisement