Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance claim: do I , or not

Options
  • 03-05-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,
    Looking for your advice ,

My partner (named driver) received a glancing blow by a commercial vehicle that effectively tore the front bumper, partial wing, headlight grille etc. Very much superficial damage from what I can see.

My partner recons that that they were not at fault as their vehicle was stopped. But if she was on or over the line is not remembered. No apparent injuries , no visible damage to commercial vehicle.

I have over 10 years claim free, but with step back protection, but the prospect of repairs and a loan car provided by garage, I can see the costs going up. I presume I'll have to repay this in the form of higher yearly premiums .....

I was considering not going through insurance as I may be looking for commercial vehicle work in the future, but don't know which avenue to go ...

Thanks, any advice & help much appreciated.
    Thanking Ye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your vehicle was stationary, how can your partner be at fault? It sounds like the van driver spun her a convincing story about being over the line and therefore at fault, this is nonsense. If you're stationary there is no excuse for being struck by another vehicle, claim against the van driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dialer

many thanks. think your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Hard to say from the little information you have given.
    What line may she have been on.....or over? Street, country road; on the straight or near a bend.?
    I can only assume from the little information disclosed that she was perhaps making a right turn and received the glancing blow from an oncoming commercial vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Hi Dialer

I had a claim last year and I'd think twice about claiming next time.

It was during the high winds here. Whipped the door out of my hand, bent the hinges and the front panel. I think the quote was around €1400 or so.

Anyway I have a €350 excess, and then the premium went up by €320 the next year.

So whilst nobody actually said lets go halves it sure felt like it in the end.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sparkynash

You pay insurance for these things,claim on your insurance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 dialer

many thanks to all & those who posted replies answer advice.

thread can mow be closed.

Advertisement