Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency tax, and now leaving !

Options
  • 03-05-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys ,

So I've been a over a year now working in Ireland, just started my second job 2 months ago and since I didn't got the P45 from my last company until now I've been hugely taxed the last 2 months.

Now, I a leaving my new job next week to go on a long trip, so I would like to know if I should wait to get the P45 from my current company and bring it to Revenue with a P50 saying that I am also leaving Ireland, or should I already bring the P45 from the last company, and then ring them again when leaving ?

Can I expect any tax back (from last year or so), since I am moving out of Ireland or will I just get my owed taxes of my unemployed period in both cases?

Thanks for helping me out!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

When you commenced with company no. 2 you should have rung Revenue and provided them with the new company's company registration number and they could have transferred your credits over so you wouldn't have been on emergency tax. You don't have to wait for your P45 for this.

As it looks like this wasn't done, Revenue probably were not aware you had moved jobs and so your credits were't assigned to the new company and hence you were on emergency tax (new employer should have registered you, but often they are slow doing this).

Hopefully you'll get P45 from company no. 2 speedily.

Ring Revenue and advise that you have now left company no. 2 and travelling overseas. They will advise what forms you need to claim whatever overpaid tax you might have paid. Getting a refund on taxes paid (a P21 Balancing Statement) will only happen if you have overpaid tax, however, also be aware that sometimes a P21 will show up an underpayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Read the thread about leaving during the year and claiming tax back in the taxation stickies

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cocozz

Thanks for your help guys !

Advertisement