Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1RM bench press competition question

Options
  • 03-05-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

1RM bench press competition this evening followed by max reps at BW (legs raised)

I'm usually approx 85kg so am cutting a small bit down to 82.4kg to try max out my reps on the BW comp.

I've never competed before so am slightly torn as to how to open my 1RM attempts so looking for suggestions/advice here!

My prev best is 117.5kg (Jan) and last Monday I benched 110kg x5 without major difficulty.

I'm thinking of going 115, 120, 122.5 for my three attempts, any suggestions on this?

Other option is open at 120 and push for 125, based on my 5RM it should be theoretically possible, all help or suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

I wouldn't cut... 2.5kg drop in bodyweight in order to bench 2.5kg less isn't worth it.

What are the rules of the comp? As in are the benches paused? Have you been training like you will be competing? Have you competed before? Will you be using equipment and spotters (hand off timing etc) that you are familiar with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

Currently at 83kg 3hrs before weigh in, I've been training with 82.5kg and can only get 15/16 which is unlikely to be competitive but reckon if be doing well to get 10+ at 85kg with the legs raised.

Bench is paused,haven't really practiced the pause to be honest and I haven't tested a 1RM in 3 months, just been working to a 5RM each week and a 4x8/10 reps.

I'm basing 120-125 off the 110x5, haven't competed before at all.

Oh and realised I posted this in the fitness logs instead of the general forum so if a mod could move it that'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

Update

Bench Press comp

Weighed in 2 hours before the comp at 81.5kg

Warm up to 110kg x2

1RM paused bench

Lift 1: 115kg
    Lift 2: 120kg fail
    Lift 3: 120kg PR

Max reps @ BW Military Bench (legs raised)

13 reps

Winner of the 80kg+ category did 145kg 1RM and 25 reps

Happy enough, first competition, didn't feel comfortable at all, possibly should have tested the weight loss, normal weight is ~85kg, morning weight today was 83.7 and hit the sauna to 81.5kg, happy with the paused 1RM PR, good event.

Advertisement