Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD - What To See Before You Leave

Options
  • 03-05-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

So I was thinking this week as I'm finishing up soon, if you had 1 day left in UCD, what must you absolutely see? As strange as it sounds, after my last exam I do plan on walking around the entire campus.

For instance, the Science Hub used have a display of old computers (Atari, First Mac etc) or the random collection of Irish wood on the second floor of Ag. Secret lake, tunnels etc etc.

Any suggestions? Think it would be a decent thread as UCD has some weird and wonderful stuff hidden away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

There's some of those old computers still in a glass case on the third floor of the physics building at the top of the stairs.

Eh, the big elk in biology (second floor???) is great, I don't really get it - but the steam engine in Engineering is pretty impressive too. I love the history of UCD thing that's running along the library tunnel as well. The fifth floor of the library building - the school of social justice at the back have lots of old posters which I think are very cool.

On my own last day of UCD, I want to climb up on the concourse shelter and walk along it, I've wanted to do it since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

There are some nice pieces in the Classical Museum in K216 but it does have odd opening hours.

I must take a look into the other libraries on campus. Only been in the Joyce and Richview ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Maldesu wrote: »
    There are some nice pieces in the Classical Museum in K216 but it does have odd opening hours.

I must take a look into the other libraries on campus. Only been in the Joyce and Richview ones.

Speaking of Richview, I'd say half the people in UCD have never been down there!! Is sometinhg to check out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Doug89 wrote: »
    There's some of those old computers still in a glass case on the third floor of the physics building at the top of the stairs.

Eh, the big elk in biology (second floor???) is great, I don't really get it - but the steam engine in Engineering is pretty impressive too. I love the history of UCD thing that's running along the library tunnel as well. The fifth floor of the library building - the school of social justice at the back have lots of old posters which I think are very cool.

On my own last day of UCD, I want to climb up on the concourse shelter and walk along it, I've wanted to do it since I was a kid.

Is the legend that the eng steam engine actually runs just that or has anyone ever heard of/seen it running ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

kilrush wrote: »
    Is the legend that the eng steam engine actually runs just that or has anyone ever heard of/seen it running ??

I've been in Eng 5 years and never have seen it run. However, I'm assured it has been seen running on the open days / information evenings. Apparently, and this is probably myth, it can't be run for all that long as it can actually do damage to the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess I always regretted not actually seeing a movie in the cinema (although I'm back next year I think).

If you haven't seen the tepadarium in the pool complex (the sauna, steam room, jacuzi etc) it's to be seen to be believed (although I saw it on the very first day it opened, so it may have gone to ****).

The very top of the arts block actually has a pretty decent view over Dublin on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

I'm not sure why but I've always wanted to be able to say I've been in every building in UCD. I'm still a fair bit off that goal but just wondering am I really weird in having that on my things to do before I leave list?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

No, I want to see every building and walk the entire parameter. Weird but its on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

ironclaw wrote: »
    No, I want to see every building and walk the entire parameter. Weird but its on the list.

Go into richview lodge, go to the top storey via the main timber steps, there is a door above you about 2metres right before the door to the top floor studio. It's usually open when I was there. Climb up the door and go through the roof space to the other end and there is a small door.
    Go through there and you'll be on the roof which you can climb a little higher on a ladder and get a lovely view.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

ironclaw wrote: »
    So I was thinking this week as I'm finishing up soon, if you had 1 day left in UCD, what must you absolutely see? As strange as it sounds, after my last exam I do plan on walking around the entire campus.

* No doubt you've seen the Secret Lake? That's Number 1 anyway! Take the yellow-stone trail from the UCD entrance heading towards Dublin (stay in UCD), and stay on it.

* Medical library is a lovely lovely building/thing. It's worth a visit alone for the aesthetics.

* Go to the pool/cinema/UCD gym before you go if you haven't been. They're pretty damn impressive.

* Go for a walk around the entire perimeter, starting at the UCD entrance heading on the trails towards the old track. It's pretty realistically countryside over by Fosters Avenue if the traffic is low, and over behind the GAA pitches.

* The new Science building is a neat little thing; there are loads of aforementioned treasures in the old Zoology, Physics, and Biology buildings.

* Belfield House (over by the old track) is a lovely restored period building; it's used for American research, but they'll let you look around if you ask provided there's no class on.

* Go to a UCD soccer game. There's probably one on tomorrow. They are in the Irish equivalent of the Premier League, after all. €5 for UCD students

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You haven't experienced UCD if you haven't experienced the smell in the lads jacks 5 minutes before an exam in the RDS.

Advertisement