Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sailing for beginners

• 03-05-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi all i'm doing my leaving cert this year and for the summer i want to try something new, i live on a river and have always wanted to do something like sailing, i just want to know what the story with it is, stuff like the cost, equipment and just is it something i could do ? thanks :D

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Welcome to the forum. I'd say to start off you should join a club and try it out first they should be able to lone you any gear you need to get you going and then if you like it you can start buying your own, Lidl do a run of sailing gear every so often so keep an eye out for a bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

Thanks, Lidl really has everything ha, my local club would be wexford do you know anything about it ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

No I don't know it but this is on at the moment http://www.sailspree.ie so it's the perfect weekend to go and try it :) there is a map up in the corner showing where they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

Thanks I will have to have a look at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

Wexford do sailing on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, if you wanted to go down to it. The club has always been open anytime I go down and they are offering half price membership fees at the moment.

Their website is www . whbtc . ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Apologies for hijacking this thread but what type wetsuit (if any) would you recommend for dinghy sailing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gaius c wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking this thread but what type wetsuit (if any) would you recommend for dinghy sailing?

One that is about 5mm thick in the arms and legs, so would be about 7mm in the torso.

I started out last year with a thinner one, and it was ok in summer, but freezing at any other time, especially if you'd a capsize or two.

I eventually switched to a drysuit.

For very warm weather I just wear shorts and a tshirt however

Advertisement