Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Norwich, 4/5/14 k/o 4pm SS1

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

A TEAM WITHOUT A STRIKER IS A TEAM THAT CANNOT WIN A LEAGUE OVER 38 GAMES IT'S REALLY THAT SIMPLE

Jaysus Ba was bagging in the goals on a consistent basis for Newcastle, Torres is still decent as is Eto. I think its the lack of service there getting myself. The way some Chelsea fans go on you would swear they had Ade Akinbiyi and Kevin Doyle as there only strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

A team without a striker is a team that cannot win a league over 38 games, it's really that simple.
    While I agree that the strikers haven't been good enough, the way the team played today and in many other games this season any striker would struggle to score goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Paully D wrote: »
    Thanks for nothing Chelsea :mad: :pac:

Sunderland ain't going anywhere. One point from two games is all ye need.

No problem to ye. Delighted for Gus, he's a genuine bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

19th century football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Jaysus Ba was bagging in the goals on a consistent basis for Newcastle, Torres is still decent as is Eto. I think its the lack of service there getting myself. The way some Chelsea fans go on you would swear they had Ade Akinbiyi and Kevin Doyle as there only strikers.

Ba is nowhere near good enough to play for Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

A team without a striker is a team that cannot win a league over 38 games, it's really that simple.

What are Eto'o, Ba and Torres then?

Why was Lukaku farmed out?

Ba scored goals for fun in a poor Newcastle side.

More to it then blaming a "lack" of strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sometimes I feel sorry for this Chelsea side "with no strikers" that we hear about.

The poor Mourinho has to choose from these lot:

1. Fernando Torres (world-class when they bought him) - £50m
    2. Demba Ba - (one of the best CF's in the EPL when Chelsea signed him) - £7.5m
    3. Andre Schurrle (well capable of playing up front) - £18m
    4. Samuel Eto'o

Ba is nowhere near good enough to play for Chelsea

Stop out of that of course he is good enough its just he doesnt get enough chances. Any striker would struggle to score in that side.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What are Eto'o, Ba and Torres then?

Why was Lukaku farmed out?

Ba scored goals for fun in a poor Newcastle side.

More to it then blaming a "lack" of strikers.

1. A striker too often injured, a poor striker and a poor striker.

2. He wanted to go, Chelsea compromised.

3. I don't think we didn't win it because of a lack of strikers, it was because we scored less points than City and Liverpool, which is usually crucial to winning leagues.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Stop out of that of course he is good enough its just he doesnt get enough chances. Any striker would struggle to score in that side.

is this the same Chelsea side with the 2nd most Shots on target in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Doocey wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel sorry for this Chelsea side "with no strikers" that we hear about.

The poor Mourinho has to choose from these lot:

1. Fernando Torres (world-class when they bought him) - £50m
    2. Demba Ba - (one of the best CF's in the EPL when Chelsea signed him) - £7.5m
    3. Andre Schurrle (well capable of playing up front) - £18m
    4. Samuel Eto'o

Loaned out Lukaku :pac:

• Advertisement

Ive watched Chelsea all season and there strikers live off scraps having to drop deep to get the ball. Mourinho didnt help the situation by critcising them although I think there lack of service is the biggest issue why theyve been so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lapin wrote: »
    Sunderland ain't going anywhere. One point from two games is all ye need.

No problem to ye. Delighted for Gus, he's a genuine bloke.
    blueser wrote: »
    You lot are safe; 1 point from your last two games, with the run you're on? Piece of p1ss. You're probably safe now; Arsenal will almost definitely turn Norwich over next weekend.

I hope you are right fellas. Though if there's any team capable of messing this up it's us. Norwich will never have a better chance to beat Arsenal. At home and Arsenal will rest everyone ahead of the cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mister abramovich not really getting value for his money.

Chelsea are just bleh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Mister abramovich not really getting value for his money.

Chelsea are just bleh

Doesn't matter as long as they are winning troph ....never mind. Poor showing from TSFFO, hardly a master class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Doesn't matter as long as they are winning troph ....never mind. Poor showing from TSFFO, hardly a master class.

At least di matteo and rafa benitez won trophies for Chelsea before they got sacked #JoseOut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mourinho won a Chanpions league with Benni McCarthy up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Just saw this result.
    Hilarious stuff, what happened to the Chelski bus?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well just back in Cork.

To sum it up, s**t really.

Norwich denied a clear penalty, was facing the 18 yard line in the west stand and could see it from 30 yards away dont know how the ref or lino didnt give it, was alot more clear cut then the peno Sundeland got 2 weeks ago.

Hazard in real time looked a stone wall peno, watching Sky News in Heathrow showed it to be the correct call.

Apart from Willian and Schurrle from the starting XI, the rest were s**t.

Ivanovic is muck, always has been, the guy couldnt cross the road let alone put in a good delivery.

Ba, well he was beyond useless, no movement and he didnt show enough for the short ball.

Hazard and Luiz were much more effective than Salah and Lamps in the 2nd half but both should have started.

There was a strange atmosphere in the ground that didnt really get going until Luiz hit the bar and the players were booed off twice, half the stadium had f**ked off before the players came out for the end of year congratulations lap, says it all really.

Norwich deserved their point, it was hard earned but the fought for it so take nothing away from them.

Again our lack of killer touch and finishing cost us to a team we ought to be beating.

We've 3rd safely in the bag but celebrating that is nothing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Seemed strange way for Norwich to go about the game, fair enough keep it tight first half, or even 70 minutes or so, but a point isn't good enough for them at this stage, they are going about getting relegated in timid fashion.

Next season will be make or break for Mourinho, needs a very good start, any kind of slow or wobbly start, the pressure will be intense straight away. He has said all along this was a season of rebuilding, whether you believe him or not, he has managed expectations well. Roman will have his finger on the eject button yet again if it goes pear shaped.

• Advertisement

Seemed strange way for Norwich to go about the game, fair enough keep it tight first half, or even 70 minutes or so, but a point isn't good enough for them at this stage, they are going about getting relegated in timid fashion.

Next season will be make or break for Mourinho, needs a very good start, any kind of slow or wobbly start, the pressure will be intense straight away. He has said all along this was a season of rebuilding, whether you believe him or not, he has managed expectations well. Roman will have his finger on the eject button yet again if it goes pear shaped.

We were in the title race up until the 37th game and the SF of the UCL.

Thats a vast improvement on previous years IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We were in the title race up until the 37th game and the SF of the UCL.

Thats a vast improvement on previous years IMO.

But still managed to throw away the league.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Hazard and Luiz were much more effective than Salah and Lamps in the 2nd half but both should have started.

It would have been game over at halftime if Hazard had started.
    The difference when he came on was obvious.

There was a strange atmosphere in the ground that didnt really get going until Luiz hit the bar and the players were booed off twice, half the stadium had f**ked off before the players came out for the end of year congratulations lap, says it all really.

I must say the booing at the end was bizarre considering it was last home game of the season, and the player/family greet was shocking when you see how many fans stayed back. ..

Bm0VZiWIMAAcFss.jpg

also does anyone else find Mourinho's general mood a bit weird?
    Is there some personal stuff going on?
    I read the very heart felt article in the match day program for his son but it also made me think something aint right in Mourinho's personal life.
    I might be looking too much into this but his general demeanour, and attitude has been a bit OTT recently, even for Jose Mourinho.

Mushy wrote: »

Whoever doesnt win the league will feel liek they threw it away at sopme stage.

Right now Liverpool are the most guilty of it considering the position they were in.

City if they had managed to keep there Toure, Aguero and Kompany fit would probably have walked it.

While our performances against lower teams have cost us.

Arsrenals consistency after Xmas has been hit or miss and theyve dropped silly points.

Ultimately, 3 of those 4 will be saying "what if" come next weekend.

given how poor Spurs and more so Utd, this league was there for the taking by the current top 4 but theyve all mnaged to f**k up along the way.

Even our own recent form has seen us go from in the running to having not to play for going into the last game.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    It would have been game over at halftime if Hazard had started.
    The difference when he came on was obvious.

I must say the booing at the end was bizarre considering it was last home game of the season, and the player/family greet was shocking when you see how many fans stayed back. ..

[IMG][/img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bm0VZiWIMAAcFss.jpg

also does anyone else find Mourinho's general mood a bit weird?
    Is there some personal stuff going on?
    I read the very heart felt article in the match day program for his son but it also made me think something aint right in Mourinho's personal life.
    I might be looking too much into this but his general demeanour, and attitude has been a bit OTT recently, even for Jose Mourinho.

I stayed, I always do, for a few snaps and to show appreciation, even if the previous 90mins were sh*te you're there to support them for the season not for 1 game so when peopledid leave it kind of pi**ed me off.

You were only waiting a few minutes until they came back out and done a quick lap.

it doesnt matter when you leave the Bridge anyway as local congestion can be a bo**ocks so I stayed late as I could.

It would take a highly skilled psychologoist to get into Joses mind and understand it and ven at that I'd say you'd be second guessing yourself.

One things for sure he was probaby only betting on Utd Arsenal and City to provide genuine title threat throughout the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whoever doesnt win the league will feel liek they threw it away at sopme stage.

Right now Liverpool are the most guilty of it considering the position they were in.

City if they had managed to keep there Toure, Aguero and Kompany fit would probably have walked it.

While our performances against lower teams have cost us.

Arsrenals consistency after Xmas has been hit or miss and theyve dropped silly points.

Ultimately, 3 of those 4 will be saying "what if" come next weekend.

given how poor Spurs and more so Utd, this league was there for the taking by the current top 4 but theyve all mnaged to f**k up along the way.

Even our own recent form has seen us go from in the running to having not to play for going into the last game.

While what you say is true, some of it can be partly countered.

Liverpool may have thrown it away by losing a match to the team who were in second place at the time. That isn't anywhere near as bad as losing to 3 teams in and around the relegation zone at the time.

Man City, well I find it is much harder to say you threw it away due to players being injured. That isn't the cause of the team.

Chelsea, well they lose to Palace, Villa and Sunderland...win them and the league would have been over by now. That is throwing it away.

Arsenal I can definitely agree upon, but their demise started so long ago they weren't in contention come March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I have to say I now question the wisdom of continually saying they weren't in the title race. Sorry we were until that result yesterday, that's the long and short of it. Players probably feel absolved of certain non-performances if the view is that the coach doesn't think they're good enough anyway.

Coming over all small-horse about the title race would probably objectievly now be looked at as a mistake, yes maybe we are second-guessing JM and he probably wasn't saying the same in private as he was in public but taking things at face value the approach now looks wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

1. A striker too often injured, a poor striker and a poor striker.

2. He wanted to go, Chelsea compromised.

3. I don't think we didn't win it because of a lack of strikers, it was because we scored less points than City and Liverpool, which is usually crucial to winning leagues.

Anybody can hit a pathetic shot straight into the keepers arms from 25yards, hardly a noteworthy stat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Mushy wrote: »

Threw it away a bit before that, as have City, Arsenal and now Liverpool at various stages throughout the season, but yeah Chelsea's seemed to be on a par with City's, that is until they went back into the box seat

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Anybody can hit a pathetic shot straight into the keepers arms from 25yards, hardly a noteworthy stat

That's nice. You should watch Chelsea though and you'll see that not happen considering they have the most goals in the league apart from City and Liverpool

Advertisement