Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workstation for 3d modelling with some gaming on the side :P

Options
  • 03-05-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, hope to get a bit of advice with setting up a workstation primarily for 3d modelling in Maya, z-brush and texturing in photoshop, maybe some gaming on the side if time allows :pac:
    Got my last system spec from ye good people and sent from hardwareversand.

Budget: 2250-2500
    Intel and Nvidia based system.
    New case needed & a new version of windows.
    Hoping for an SSD boot drive, OS and main applications
    If budget can stretch 32gb ram.
    No monitor or other peripherals needed.
    If I'm missing any other important information, please hollar!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've give it a couple of weeks if you can. There's rumours of a ~$400 6-core/$600 8-core CPU showing up with the Haswell refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

With a budget like that you could probably get whatever the hell you want. Like the above said, I'd wait a bit, rumors floating around about Nvidia Titan Z as well as some new Haswells

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Hey folks, just wondering if the new Intel processors are available yet in relation to getting suggestions for this build?

Also am I right in guessing that new Nvidia cards wont be announced until October or November?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Hey folks just want to get an opinion on this setup for 3d modelling

CPU | [Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz]
    CPU Cooler | [Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler]
    MOTHERBOARD | [Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 Motherboard]
    SSD | [Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
    GFX CARD | [Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB]
    PSU | [Cooler Master V850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply]

Not 100% sure on the ram but was thinking of
    Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB - PC3-19200 - DIMM

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

I've been contemplating sticking both a gaming GPU & a workstation (for Solidworks) GPU in the same PC. Will I have issues? Need to physically disconnect cables or go into BIOS on every boot to assign the desired card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You'll have to switch the card I think. A card like the 980Ti will be more than enough for most modelling I would think.

Advertisement