Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Cable

Options
  • 03-05-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I ran a 50 meter cat5 cable from my house to my shed and I'm trying to wire the jacks now.
    My problem is that the green cable was damaged and the rest are fine.
    My question is... Do I have to follow the ethernet T568B standard or can I wire it how I want as long as it matches up with the other side. The cable is intended to be a straight through cable.
    Thanks Guys
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markokavo

Will be ok. Once you match both end.

You will prob need testers to make sure you got connections right both ends.

Good practice to use the proper colour code.
    Stop interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

markokavo wrote: »
    Will be ok. Once you match both end.

You will prob need testers to make sure you got connections right both ends.

Good practice to use the proper colour code.
    Stop interference.

I have my own testing device :P
    Didn't have time or money to go and buy a tester so I use a 9v battery and an led :) does the job :D

Yes I'll ty and sort that to have interferance to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Cat5 cable is twisted in pairs to minimise crosstalk between the cables, by not using T568B you would lose the advantages of twisted pair and may not get great speeds or great distance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I ran a 50 meter cat5 cable from my house to my shed and I'm trying to wire the jacks now.
    My problem is that the green cable was damaged and the rest are fine.
    My question is... Do I have to follow the ethernet T568B standard or can I wire it how I want as long as it matches up with the other side. The cable is intended to be a straight through cable.
    Thanks Guys
    Tommy

10/100 only uses two of the pairs
    The green coloured pair is usually used as one pair
    Just use the blue or brown pair instead of the green.

See pic attached

Any idea where its broken ? / would it be difficult to pull another length of cable in ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    10/100 only uses two of the pairs
    The green coloured pair is usually used as one pair
    Just use the blue or brown pair instead of the green.

See pic attached

Any idea where its broken ? / would it be difficult to pull another length of cable in ?

No ideas where its broken to be honest.
    Yeah was kinda hoping to do this.
    Its not the most difficult task but definitely wouldn't be the easiest either to pull new cable in.
    That and I'd have to order more cable :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I have found, that if the cable is broken then it is most likely where you have made a cut in it to open the insulation.
    If the cable came from a box or run of cable that was good then that is the most likely place.
    Re-examine the ends of the cables, some cables will have a white nylon cord to rip back the insulation without damaging the wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Why do you want a network connection in your toilet? :confused:

Why do you want a network connection in your toilet? :confused:

the rj45 jacks you smartass :P

Advertisement