Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge comes to Galway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Nice one. another HIM on the calendar is no harm. Thats ignoring entry fees and cost/course for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

In fairness Challenge is usually a little cheaper than Ironman races - from the picture looks like the same organisers and same route as per last time. They might get luckier with the swim hopefully this year with it being earlier. I have ran most saturdays down the prom and I have seen hardly a ripple in the water for months

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Full, half and Olympic 21st June.
    course pretty much the same as ironman Galway.

Not sure how the full course will work but the organisers have a good track record with big events.

Really pleased to see a full distance out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

How much would this be expected to cost? For an entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The chances of me getting permission to race on my wedding anniversary are pretty slim :(

Looking forward to the buzz around here around the race though.

• Advertisement

Full......balls:(

Cue loads of comments from the family about spending a fortune heading abroad for one when there is one passing outside the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Any sure why wouldnt you do an IM passing your door?

Nil aon tintean mar do thintean fein

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Full, half and Olympic 21st June.
    course pretty much the same as ironman Galway.

Any links to this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

AKW wrote: »
    Any links to this information?

I've looked for information on this as well but came up blank. The only info I came across regarding distance was in the article linked above that stated that the race would be held on the same course as the Ironman HIM. From that, I presumed that it would be a HIM distance race. Turning that course into an IM race would be logistically interesting.

ronanmac wrote: »
    I've looked for information on this as well but came up blank. The only info I came across regarding distance was in the article linked above that stated that the race would be held on the same course as the Ironman HIM. From that, I presumed that it would be a HIM distance race. Turning that course into an IM race would be logistically interesting.

Nice distance Galway to Clifden & back 184k followed by 8 loops of the prom! ;)

305933.jpg

• Advertisement

Don't have a link but that's what was announced. I agree it will be logistically..... Challenging for a full.

2 loops Salthill - Maam maybe or add in the Inagh to leenane loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wasn't the last half run here farcial?

tunney wrote: »

Thought it was a good event and a decent enough course for a half. My 3 complaints would be transition location away from finish area, supermacs burger and chips after and road surface for cycle.

2 of those could be easily fixed.

what were the reasons you thought it was farcical?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thought it was a good event and a decent enough course for a half. My 3 complaints would be transition location away from finish area, supermacs burger and chips after and road surface for cycle.

2 of those could be easily fixed.

what were the reasons you thought it was farcical?

Comments and reviews of those that did it.

The first one yes, the second one was a lot better organised. Weather and course worked out for everyone.

Good to see that they took on feedback and worked to improve in year 2.

Did they jump the gun with the announcement or is there more details to be ironed out, I don't see any mention of it on any of the Challenge media outlets yet?

Comments and reviews of those that did it.

I have very little to compare it to as I've only done one other half. But that one gets very good reviews and i would pick the 2nd im in Galway over it everytime.

catweazle wrote: »
    Did they jump the gun with the announcement or is there more details to be ironed out, I don't see any mention of it on any of the Challenge media outlets yet?

Wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to gazump the announcement of IM in the East.

AKW wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to gazump the announcement of IM in the East.

Whatever about one - have we really room for two in this country. Even with the population of the UK they struggle to get the numbers for the 3 branded full distance races

They have an announcement finally but not one for Galway :(

http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-bahrain-announced/

Very interesting all the same, between the prize money and course they will get a high end field

Perhaps we might see a return for Izoard to Triathlon for this one, those Bahrain lads are always looking at new software ;)

Nice to see a special mention for Oyrx as well, she has become quite the celebrity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

catweazle wrote: »
    They have an announcement finally but not one for Galway :(

http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-bahrain-announced/

Very interesting all the same, between the prize money and course they will get a high end field

Perhaps we might see a return for Izoard to Triathlon for this one, those Bahrain lads are always looking at new software ;)

Nice to see a special mention for Oyrx as well, she has become quite the celebrity

Once you've done 1 desert tri, there are pretty much all the same.
    The bike route for Abu Dhabi is crushingly boring - this sounds pretty much the same.

If someone can get me into Lost Sheep, I'll be all over it!

Advertisement