Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U21 Football Final

• 03-05-2014 3:08pm

No thread.... same last week for the league finals... weird.

Very poor reflection on the GAA when a player lands on his head, and is given a drink and allowed to play on.

I watch a lot of AFL and a player has to leave the pitch and take a concussion test if he takes a blow to the head.
    He fairly landed on it as well.

Seems like all of Roscommon is at the game as well.... it's like a home game.

Not going well for them so far, Dublin with a big advantage within the first few minutes.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Dublin strolling this, completely one sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

ugh.

Everything going wrong for the Rossies - Dubs strolling it.

Poor fare all right.

One point in a half is obviously going to lead to this sort of one sided affair,

Roscommon have time on their side but they'd be better off forgetting about points now and trying to hit 4 or 5 goals.

You're not catching a team 12 points ahead kicking points, even if they didn't score for the rest of the game, a 12 point half is a big ask.

You need to hit a scoreline like the ones that fill the roll of honour of AI's a 100 years ago i.e 5-5 etc

Very disappointing to travel for a final and to be out of it within 8mins.

Poor fare all right.

One point in a half is obviously going to lead to this sort of one sided affair,

Roscommon have time on their side but they'd be better off forgetting about points now and trying to hit 4 or 5 goals.

You're not catching a team 12 points ahead kicking points, even if they didn't score for the rest of the game, a 12 point half is a big ask.

You need to hit a scoreline like the ones that fill the roll of honour of AI's a 100 years ago i.e 5-5 etc

Very disappointing to travel for a final and to be out of it within 8mins.

you'd think with the Dubs full-back black-carded there might just be a weakness there if the Rossies adopt the going for goals approach.

The thing is their forwards are clearly not on form and when they are getting so little ball you'd wonder if Roscommon might not be better simply getting a few points to take the bare look off the scoreline.

Bar the penalty Roscommon haven't really threatened the Dublin goal at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Bar the penalty Roscommon haven't really threatened the Dublin goal at all.

The penalty was very poorly struck as well, straight at Molloy. If they had have scored that it might have given them a bit of momentum.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The penalty was very poorly struck as well, straight at Molloy. If they had have scored that it might have given them a bit of momentum.

You'd could almost sense the atmosphere deflate when the penalty was missed ; everyone in the stadium seemed to mentally go - that's any chance of a comeback gone.

Dublin to be fair are deserving of their lead - but it's always very disappointing for a final to be so one-sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan must be kicking themselves as they should have been there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Hope referee Anthony Nolan is happy, Cork would've put up a better fight.

I wonder if a few Cork lads are wondering if they dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Is this on the TG4 player? (is there such a thing?) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tristram wrote: »
    Is this on the TG4 player? (is there such a thing?) :D

Yes its on now.

you'd think with the Dubs full-back black-carded there might just be a weakness there if the Rossies adopt the going for goals approach.

Only need any 5 or 6 goals now. The fightback is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Only need any 5 or 6 goals now. The fightback is on.

Just three actually.

9 point game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

The quality on the TG4 is amazing! Puts the RTE player to shame.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Just three actually.

Was after the first goal :D

Gwan the Rossies - lovely point there

8 points now

Costello gone - don't think it's too serious.

Almost almost a goal there for Roscommon.

Tristram wrote: »
    The quality on the TG4 is amazing! Puts the RTE player to shame.

In fairness the RTE player is good "live"(watching replays there's no different settings IIRC).

There are different settings you can switch to, by doing so and moving it to the highest level it looks better.

TG4 has no such option, and sometimes it downgrades.... just happens automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Don't mention the war!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Dublin stopped playing for 10 mins and rossies got 3 goals... What a pasting poor Roscommon are getting

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I wasn't really surprised with Roscommon's collapse. Cork played awful stuff in the first half of the semi yet had Roscommon very badly rattled after 5 minutes of the 2nd half. Roscommon only stayed in the game because of the most inept reffing performance I've ever seen from Anthony Nolan of Wicklow and that chap is now on this year's panel - He's going to make a serious balls-up of a match and there will be uproar.

Roscommon got a few goals to put some bit of respect on th score board but in reality they were an embarrasment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Said it months ago that Dublin would beat them, but didn't expect a total hammering like that, a couple of soft scores made the scores a bit easier to read for the Rossies, but it was a case of rabbit in headlights there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

have to laugh at the cork fans blaming the ref last time out when the biggest decision in the semi final matches was the final dublin score against cavan..

the free roscommon got to win the game was perfectly legit last day and roscommon were the better team for 90% of that game. just be thankful you guys didn't reach the final and run into dublin in that form or the 1-8 to no score your minors in 2011 (this years under 21s) were down at half time against the same bunch of dublin lads would have looked healthy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Naive defending and tactics from Roscommon in truth they gave Mannion,McHugh,Costello etc the opportunity to showcase their skills. Dublin were made look great by a side that simply didn't do themselves justice on the day. Well done to Dublin yet another All Ireland won and serious talent in their ranks now the conveyor belt is showing no signs of slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I wasn't really surprised with Roscommon's collapse. Cork played awful stuff in the first half of the semi yet had Roscommon very badly rattled after 5 minutes of the 2nd half. Roscommon only stayed in the game because of the most inept reffing performance I've ever seen from Anthony Nolan of Wicklow and that chap is now on this year's panel - He's going to make a serious balls-up of a match and there will be uproar.

Roscommon got a few goals to put some bit of respect on th score board but in reality they were an embarrasment.

Embarrasment is not getting over the fact that Cork were beaten by the better side in the semi final isn't it time to take your own advice?
    It's time to move on

On the viewing of both semi finals and the final i would have.

1.Dublin
    2.Cavan
    3.Roscommon
    4.Cork

Well done to Dublin a fine win playing eye catching football. Roscommon probably gave their worst performance at this grade for years but its doubtful if even their best display would have beaten that fully focused Dublin side.

Embarrasment is not getting over the fact that Cork were beaten by the better side in the semi final isn't it time to take your own advice?

On the viewing of both semi finals and the final i would have.

1.Dublin
    2.Cavan
    3.Roscommon
    4.Cork

Well done to Dublin a fine win playing eye catching football. Roscommon probably gave their worst performance at this grade for years but its doubtful if even their best display would have beaten that fully focused Dublin side.

I would have preferred Roscommon to win yesterday. It's very hard as a Cavan supporter to look at that game yesterday and think we should have been there, be it blaming the ref or ourselves for not pushing on and winning the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Lemlin wrote: »
    I would have preferred Roscommon to win yesterday. It's very hard as a Cavan supporter to look at that game yesterday and think we should have been there, be it blaming the ref or ourselves for not pushing on and winning the game.

You posts are so bitter, you need to get over it. Your issues are with the referee not Dublin.

I was at the game yesterday and was shocked at the amount of Roscommon fans, and lack of Dublin fans. I think Roscommon are a much better team than they showed. Dublin's midfield were immense, thought jack mccaffery was a bit shakey when they got their goals, gave away two hand passes and a line ball. But then steadied the ship with his point.

In regards the venue I thought the pitch was immaculate, however no running water in the toilets was disgusting. Also didn't like the booing of the free taker. I know dublin do this as well and I don't like it then either. And to the lad who gave me the finger when I was in the car enjoy another decade of no trophies.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You posts are so bitter, you need to get over it. Your issues are with the referee not Dublin.

And did I raise any issues with Dublin in the post? No, I pointed to two problems - the referee and not getting over the line ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Lemlin wrote: »
    And did I raise any issues with Dublin in the post? No, I pointed to two problems - the referee and not getting over the line ourselves.

The GAA obviously use the U21 Competition to give up and coming refs experience - there was 2 very experienced refs acting as stand-by and linesmen in the semis.

In professional sports such as Rugby and Soccer, refs are paid and so are taken to task when the under-perform - Nigel Owens misses the HC Final as he was poor in the Semi.

GAA has to attract guys that do the job for the love of the game and I suppose it's just bad luck when your county suffers due to a bad official. The one comfort for Cavan is that they were the equal of Dublin who look a very good side. Surely Cavan will reap the benefits at Senior Level soon.

The GAA obviously use the U21 Competition to give up and coming refs experience - there was 2 very experienced refs acting as stand-by and linesmen in the semis.

In professional sports such as Rugby and Soccer, refs are paid and so are taken to task when the under-perform - Nigel Owens misses the HC Final as he was poor in the Semi.

GAA has to attract guys that do the job for the love of the game and I suppose it's just bad luck when your county suffers due to a bad official. The one comfort for Cavan is that they were the equal of Dublin who look a very good side. Surely Cavan will reap the benefits at Senior Level soon.

A first ever quarter final appearance last year and promotion from Division 3 shows we are already reaping the benefits at senior level.

I'd hope the U21s will be back next year anyway. 9 of the starting 15 in that semi final will be there next year, including Michael Argue who is a huge asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The one comfort for Cavan is that they were the equal of Dublin who look a very good side. Surely Cavan will reap the benefits at Senior Level soon.

its still tough to bring under 21s through. galway wiped the floor with cavan under 21s in 2011 final and yet its been cavan that have benefited from that team far more than galway...

cork, roscommon and cavan are all around the same level this year with roscommon edging it because we have better forwards. we beat cavan in the hastings cup semi final a few months ago thanks to their poor shooting.

one match or even a series of games doesn't tell us anything. using that logic roscommon were the equal of galway in 1998 senior championship and galway blew everyone else away. dublin played poorly against cavan lets be honest. the pick of roscommon, cavan and cork wouldn't have lived with dublin in that first half yesterday.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its still tough to bring under 21s through. galway wiped the floor with cavan under 21s in 2011 final and yet its been cavan that have benefited from that team far more than galway...

cork, roscommon and cavan are all around the same level this year with roscommon edging it because we have better forwards. we beat cavan in the hastings cup semi final a few months ago thanks to their poor shooting.

one match or even a series of games doesn't tell us anything. using that logic roscommon were the equal of galway in 1998 senior championship and galway blew everyone else away. dublin played poorly against cavan lets be honest. the pick of roscommon, cavan and cork wouldn't have lived with dublin in that first half yesterday.

Cavan used experimental line ups in the Hastings Cup. Players who aren't near the panel now were used. As well as that, our established players hardly featured. Peter Reilly used it exactly for its purpose: experimentation.

Joe Dillon, Killian Clarke and Dara McVeety didn't play for example. Senan Gilchrest started at midfield and didn't play one game in Ulster.

Speak for yourselves and Cork re the pick of Roscommon not living with Dublin, but Cavan very much showed in the semi that we could "live" with them and should have beaten them.

Meath also have them a very good game in the Leinster final. The fact is Roscommon were too weak in the back line to contain them.

Advertisement