Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bones can you give to small dogs

• 03-05-2014 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was reading the thread about bones. This is all news to me, I didn't think you could give any bones to dogs. Mine are small toy breed dogs, all under 10kg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The danger is in cooked bones (at least for chicken) due to the cooking making them break into shards were as the raw one would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

hollytrees wrote: »
    I was reading the thread about bones. This is all news to me, I didn't think you could give any bones to dogs. Mine are small toy breed dogs, all under 10kg

Just don't give them cooked bones and they'll be grand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think it's only fair to say that there is a risk to feeding any bones, including raw bones, just as there is a risk attached to giving our dogs any chew treats. Any food item can be mis-swallowed or can, in the right set of circumstances, develop sharp edges or cause problems. The truth is that bones are riskier than, say, dried tripe sticks or beef jerky. Each to their own re what risk they're happy to take, but be aware that there is a risk.
    It also need to be said that it is absolutely critical when feeding raw bones, that they are size appropriate. In other words, it is not appropriate to give a chicken leg to a Yorkie (too big), and it is less safe to feed a chicken wing to a German Shepherd (too small).
    I wouldn't want anyone to think that there is no risk attached to feeding bones... it is important to put it into context :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Correct, I gave our mini schnauzer some pork bones (raw and reasonably sized), she wolfed them down greedily and didnt chew them correctly. Thankfully no major damage although she passed some smaller shards which caused a tiny bit of bleeding. Vet give her the OK, but it's not true to say bones are totally safe without caveat. I'll not give her anymore as she's a bit of a greedy eater, doesn't have the patience to chew everything threw properly.

Advertisement