Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a website from scratch???

Options
  • 03-05-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,

Basically I want to build a website myself if possible. The website will be similar to the layout of boards in which users can log in and post in different forums. I've no experience in website building or computer programming but I'd love to take on the challenge myself .

-Is it possible to build a website like this from scratch with no knowledge or experience of -computer programming ?

-Is there software that can help me with this ?

-Any advice or thoughts on this?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Have a look at Vbulletin or Phpbb which is free.

Easy enough to use and loads of tutorials on them.

Have a look at apache tomcat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

boards.ie is Vbulletin.
    Could you do it yourself? ..... kinda. If you have the time to learn. Sure with loads of youtube videos about pretty much everything these days you could do it.

But it won't be easy, ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

To build something like boards from scratch would take several years. As yawhat! said there though, plenty of open source forum software out there so you only need to learn how to set that up and customise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭victor8600

ted102 wrote: »
    -Is it possible to build a website like this from scratch with no knowledge or experience of -computer programming ?

Yes, it is all possible, no "computer programming experience" is required. For example, you can buy the subscription to a ready-made forum from vBulletin: search for "vBulletin Cloud" in google. You pay them $20 a month and you get the site.

Then you have to run the site, that is learn all the buttons. Plus you need some moderators to look over the forum when you are sleeping (you are going to sleep, right?) -- you can probably enlist your friends in Australia and USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Best thing is to use a Content management system , like Joomal or Wordpress, building a site like Borads from scratch , is actually very complicated. You need to know HTML, some php, SQL to to connect to a database. Some where to host it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

PHPBB is free anyway so start there I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

ted102 wrote: »
    [..]
    [..]
    Yes, you can, but no you should not. Google for joomla, drupal, wordpress. You'll need to learn to modify what's already there, but it will get you to your goal much quicker. You'll need a server/hosting and a domain name to start with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If your looking for something similar to what boards are doing SMF forums and SimplePortal might suit. I've used Joomla's Kunena forum which is free and it's excellent, Joomla is also a fully featured Content Management System. May be overkill in this instance..

Nick

Advertisement