Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closures 11th May

Options
  • 03-05-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

People need to be aware of road closures for next Sunday, during the Giro D'Italia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Any election hopefuls who have posters up on the route (11th May) won't get our votes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Many potential councillors are removing their posters from the route, but some might just disappear the day before. :D

Here's more details -

Extensive Road Closures in Fingal for Giro d’Italia
    Sunday 11th May

Extensive road closures are planned in Fingal to allow the Giro d’Italia Cycle Race to pass through Fingal on its way from Belfast to Dublin next Sunday 11th May.

Minimal disruption to public transport

Spectators encouraged to come along DRESSED IN PINK to the recommended viewing points using Dublin Bus, Swords Express, Irish Rail or bike!

Family fun events organised in Balbriggan and Malahide for 90 minutes before the cyclists arrive

Stage 3 of the Race will depart from Armagh City at 11.45am on 11th May, cross the border heading towards Dundalk, Castlebellingham and Drogheda and continue along the coast entering Balbriggan at approximately 14.50hrs. It will then pass Skerries, Lusk, Blakes Cross, Swords (Estuary roundabout), Malahide, Portmarnock and enter Dublin City at Baldoyle travelling to Clontarf, Alfie Byrne Road, East Wall Road, 02, North Wall Quay, Custom House Quay, cross the Liffey at Talbot Memorial Bridge, City Quay, Lombard Street, Westland Row, Lincoln Place to the finish line at Merrion Square West at approximately 16:30 hrs.

The following roads in FINGAL will close from approximately 1.30pm to 4.30pm on Sunday 11th May:

R132 Drogheda Road from Co. Meath to Balbriggan (via Drogheda St., Bridge St., Dublin St., Old Market Green)
    R127 Skerries Road to Skerries, via Balbriggan Road, Balbriggan St., Thomas Hand St., Dublin Road.
    R127 to Lusk, via Main St., Dublin Rd.,
    R127 to Blakes Cross,
    R132 via Lissenhall M1 interchange to Seatown Roundabout Swords to Estuary Road (via Seatown Industrial Estate) to Old Yellow Walls Road, Yellow Walls Road,
    To Malahide via R106 Dublin Rd., Main St., The Mall.,
    To Portmarnock via Coast Road, Strand Road,
    To Baldoyle via Coast Road R106, Main St., to Dublin Road, via Warrenhouse Road., Baldoyle Road.,
    To Dublin City via R105 Dublin Road.
    Gardai and race event organisers will manage the closing and re-opening of the route.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the face of it Rush, Donabate and significant chunks of Balbriggan and Lusk as well as certain otther areas will be pretty much cut-off by these road closures. They may allow traffic to cross over the respective closed roads but I would still imagine there will be little if any opportunity to do so from maybe an hour or so before the racers arrive, as the advance "cavalcade" comes through

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beasty wrote: »
    On the face of it Rush, Donabate and significant chunks of Balbriggan and Lusk as well as certain otther areas will be pretty much cut-off by these road closures. They may allow traffic to cross over the respective closed roads but I would still imagine there will be little if any opportunity to do so from maybe an hour or so before the racers arrive, as the advance "cavalcade" comes through

Going on previous experiences of the city centre, they tend to close early most of the time.

We've had to try to figure out how to collect the OHs kids from Portmarnock at about 2:30, finally worked it out :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The estimated timings will be based on assumed prevailing south Westerlies, although the current forecast for Sundey is Westerly to WNWesterly, which will almost certainly mean they will come through in the earlier part of the "closure window" - I am sure the roads will be closed at the 1.30 time listed, but hopefully they will be able to re-open them a little earlier than 4.30

• Advertisement

They will open the roads as soon as it's clear. So, once everything to do with the Giro has passed, the roads will be open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Paulw wrote: »
    They will open the roads as soon as it's clear. So, once everything to do with the Giro has passed, the roads will be open again.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

They will open the roads as soon as it's clear. So, once everything to do with the Giro has passed, and time given to get the all-essential election posters back up on the poles the roads will be open again.

Fixed that :):)

I wonder how many will take down the posters? I see Mary Fitzpatrick (FF) is committed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Im surprised there hasn't been more trouble about this
    A friend of mine wont be able to get out of his estate on sunday cos of the race
    Its not as if there will be an influx of cycling Italians rushing to our shores in the wake of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Im surprised there hasn't been more trouble about this
    A friend of mine wont be able to get out of his estate on sunday cos of the race
    Its not as if there will be an influx of cycling Italians rushing to our shores in the wake of the race

If your friend needs to leave his estate on Sunday why doesn't he leave before the roads close at 1:30?
    Its not like the roads are going to be closed all day.

This event will not be just broadcast to Italians, it will be watched in 174 countries & will attract a global TV audience of 775 million.
    It's a huge boost for tourism and the local economy.

But that doesn't stop a handful of narrow minded people moaning about the roads getting closed for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I suppose maybe he doesn't want to leave any earlier than he wants to, people are funny like that
    I don't where youre getting a huge boost for the local economy from, as far as I know its going to consist of a group of people cycling through the towns of Dublin and not stopping, I remember seeing somewhere a stat that the average speed of the cyclists is 48kph, I don't think there will be much sightseeing at that speed
    Maybe youre under the impression they'll stop for a latte, I was unaware that was on the itinerary
    And as for a handful of narrow minded people I don't know where youre getting your quantity from ive yet to be hear if anyone was actually asked about it
    For the record if people want to follow a group of people some of whom are on drugs with their support cars some of whom have drugs in their cars then fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I suppose maybe he doesn't want to leave any earlier than he wants to, people are funny like that
    I don't where youre getting a huge boost for the local economy from, as far as I know its going to consist of a group of people cycling through the towns of Dublin and not stopping, I remember seeing somewhere a stat that the average speed of the cyclists is 48kph, I don't think there will be much sightseeing at that speed
    Maybe youre under the impression they'll stop for a latte, I was unaware that was on the itinerary
    And as for a handful of narrow minded people I don't know where youre getting your quantity from ive yet to be hear if anyone was actually asked about it
    For the record if people want to follow a group of people some of whom are on drugs with their support cars some of whom have drugs in their cars then fair play to them

And you're stuck with yourself 24 hours a day. Some people have no luck. Though there's always the hours of sleep I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Beasty wrote: »

Yup same with Howth which will be annexed like Crimea for a few hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

some 2011 Giro D'Italia viewing figures for you:
    over 800 million viewers worldwide, with a live broadcast in 168 countries over five continents. In addition to that, Eurosport, which broadcast to 33 milllion viewers in 74 countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Whereas I agree it is somewhat inconvenient for locals when roads are closed off for a few hours (three-ish I seem to recall), it's worth remembering that the Giro affords Ireland (both bits) to show off its attractions to the world. TV audiences will be c.800m. This positive publicity is immensely valuable in building brand Ireland both as a tourist destination and business location.

There is an immediate benefit to the local economy in terms of the spend by the teams alone and the spend by people actually watching the race.

The other significant benefit is that it's a bit of free fun for hundreds of thousands (and we could do with a bit of fun after the last few years) along the route for a rare enough event - it must be nearly thirty years since the tour de france was here.

All in all (in my view) it is worth the inconvenience, especially as there has been plenty of advance notice for people to replan journeys etc. For what it's worth I will also be unable to get out of my estate for a few hours on Sunday. It doesn't really bother me but I do have to declare an interest as I like watching the Giro anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yup same with Howth which will be annexed like Crimea for a few hours :D

Not really, we're well used to being cut off on many's a sunny weekend due to the traffic. Most of us just take it in our stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

You're not the brightest Ted...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I wish the Giro was passing my house! ...............the road could do with being re-surfaced! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Warning for pelevin regarding personal abuse. It won't be tolerated in this forum.

Edit: Warning also to Suzuki for being uncivil. tHB

Unfortunately, we don't always get what we want, or don't want. I don't want to pay property tax nor water rates, but hey ho.
    I don't where youre getting a huge boost for the local economy from, as far as I know its going to consist of a group of people cycling through the towns of Dublin and not stopping

Maybe you should do a little research on tourism, and advertisement. While the cyclists may not be stopping, it has already brought in a lot of media and tourists to the country. Maybe they are not stopping and directly spending money in your town/village, but they are spending it in the country. It is also advertising Ireland on a very large international scale, which will encourage others to visit. The Giro is the 2nd most popular cycle race, behind the Tour De France.

Considering the number of views on the thread, you seem to be the only one complaining about "your friend" being stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

I think its brilliant to have something like this going through Lusk.

I don't follow cycling at all, but ill be out having a look, we might even WALK to have a look seeing as the roads are closed. (Imagine that). :)

There has been plenty of notice given regarding the road closures. Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Did an early morning Airport run.

Still a few Election posters between Blake's Cross and Swords
    F.F get your skates on, also S.F, its just 24 hrs, and we do not want to see your faces on Eurosport.

Any other sightings??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'm deeply sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Just been in Lusk Village, Fina Gael have decided their posters should feature prominently in the Giro

We have O'Leary at Murrays corner, and McNamara also, the Main Street features them as well plus Sinn Fein.

The arrogance of these parties astounds me.

So no vote for those who ignore requests to clear the Giro route of these Posters.

I bet by the time the Giro arrives, those posters will be gone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kittylol

martinn123 wrote: »
    Just been in Lusk Village, Fina Gael have decided their posters should feature prominently in the Giro

We have O'Leary at Murrays corner, and McNamara also, the Main Street features them as well plus Sinn Fein.

O'Leary posters on cycle route have been taken down for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

All the cable ties off the posters where thrown over our garden wall on th. Skerries road in Lusk..

micraX wrote: »
    All the cable ties off the posters where thrown over our garden wall on th. Skerries road in Lusk..

If you know who had posters there, then call the council litter warden and report it. Disgraceful behavior. :mad: Also, call/contact the candidate and let them know too.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

If you know who had posters there, then call the council litter warden and report it. Disgraceful behavior. :mad: Also, call/contact the candidate and let them know too.

I actually couldn't tell you there was like 5 or 6 posters on each pole and most are gone, do it would be hard to know like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Take photos & report it anyway. That is a bloody disgrace!

Advertisement