Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit for renting a room?

Options
  • 03-05-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I am currently looking for a room to rent because I am trying to find a job, as I worked as an au pair I have no idea how things work with renting a room/apartment in ireland, I am just trying to understand if I need to pay deposit when renting room aswell? As you might guessed I am short with money though I can afford to pay rent for few months and hopefully would find job in the meantime but if I have to pay deposit that would put me in the bad position so if someone could help me to understand everything I would be very thankful! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No landlord will rent to you without a deposit and if you're not working it may be difficult to find a room. There is huge competition in the rental market again, landlords need to be confident that the rent will be paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

People not landlords will look to rent homes in their homes and some May not look for deposit. You will have less rights than tenants who rent an apartment though. Getdigs.ie might be a better site than the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

People not landlords will look to rent homes in their homes and some May not look for deposit. You will have less rights than tenants who rent an apartment though. Getdigs.ie might be a better site than the others.
    I presume you mean "landlords will look to rent rooms in their homes.

Generally, landlords will want 1 month's rent as a deposit and one month's rent in advance.

As baby says, some landlords renting a room in their own home may not look for a deposit or a deposit that is less than 1 month's rent. However, with this type of renting you, as a licensee or lodger have really no rights. But it is my preferred form of renting as you don't have any lease agreement.

Advertisement