Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun runs

Options
  • 03-05-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Thinking of organising a charity 5k for a charity close to my heart was wondering how to apply for permit.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Normally via a local club but bear in mind there has been changes to permits from the AAI as regards cost and insurance for non AAI bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

ger664 wrote: »
    Normally via a local club but bear in mind there has been changes to permits from the AAI as regards cost and insurance for non AAI bodies.

Any more info on these changes?

Thinger, where are you based?

If you read the application form the changes are in red. From your prospective application cost is now €100 and seperate insurance is required as an AAI club will not be the sole beneficiary of funds

If you read the application form the changes are in red. From your prospective application cost is now €100 and seperate insurance is required as an AAI club will not be the sole beneficiary of funds

Hmmm interesting. AAI could possibly be shooting themselves in the foot with that move, insurance is one of the main reasons I see people approaching clubs about a permit. Does anyone know what sort of fraction of races/funruns have a permit currently? At a guess I'd say its well less than 1/2, should AAI not want to increase this, or maybe they are specifically trying to distance themselves from charity/fun runs as such with this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting. AAI could possibly be shooting themselves in the foot with that move, insurance is one of the main reasons I see people approaching clubs about a permit. Does anyone know what sort of fraction of races/funruns have a permit currently? At a guess I'd say its well less than 1/2, should AAI not want to increase this, or maybe they are specifically trying to distance themselves from charity/fun runs as such with this move.

More fun runs getting permits means less room in the calendar for club races and competitions.
    The other side of it is, if a race doesn't have a permit, does it have any effect on the attendance?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    More fun runs getting permits means less room in the calendar for club races and competitions.
    The other side of it is, if a race doesn't have a permit, does it have any effect on the attendance?

On the first page of the permit
    AAI athletes may compete only in events which has been
    sanctioned by the Athletic Association of Ireland

It remains to be seen if the AAI would impose sanctions on members breaking that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There was a motion into Congress saying that the membership card should say something about AAI insurance only being valid for permitted events, don't know if it passed. What kind of sanctions could/would AAI impose?

I would presume anything from Article 13 of the Constitution. They could also fine/sanction clubs if they had a large number of entrants in such a race.
    As regards the permits I think its the correct move from the AAI as why should we/they bear the cost of insuring events for non affiliated organisations. This hopefully will get rid of the glut of 5K/10K fun run races from the calender and allow clubs to benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

We got a permit for a race i'm involved with. The main reason we got it was that a lot of local club members will only run in races with permits.

We are getting our own insurance anyway, insurance had nothing to do with our insurance.

I agree that every tom, dick and harry are applying for permits in recent times.

We got a permit for a race i'm involved with. The main reason we got it was that a lot of local club members will only run in races with permits.

We are getting our own insurance anyway, insurance had nothing to do with our insurance.

I agree that every tom, dick and harry are applying for permits in recent times.

Out of interest who did you get the insurance with, and do you mind saying how much it cost, or what it covers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Timmaay wrote: »
    Out of interest who did you get the insurance with, and do you mind saying how much it cost, or what it covers?

I'll have to look it up from last year's. This years is just being put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

AAI athletes may compete only in events which has been
    sanctioned by the Athletic Association of Ireland

It remains to be seen if the AAI would impose sanctions on members breaking that rule.

If they started to strictly enforce that rule, would the last person leaving please turn off the lights.

Advertisement