Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Challenge Dubai International Triathlon

Options
  • 03-05-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

On the way folks, announcement coming real soon.

Race date early November.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Is this still going to happen given that Bahrain have just announced a Challenge event?

http://www.challenge-bahrain.com.bh/

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

coL wrote: »
    Is this still going to happen given that Bahrain have just announced a Challenge event?

http://www.challenge-bahrain.com.bh/

Yes! Definitely happening. Tri seeing a huge boom here.

Bahrain sneaked in there with big cash prizes. The royals and their buddies in that country are getting big into it. Only 1 of them is decent though.

Bahrain is very small, reckon it'll be crappy enough, thats my initial thought.

Dubai is all guns blazing. Will be endorsed and supported by Macca and a few others.

Any idea on the proposed course? Also I heard rumours that it was going to be on a Sunday which seems a bit odd given that is a week day in the UAE?

coL wrote: »
    Any idea on the proposed course? Also I heard rumours that it was going to be on a Sunday which seems a bit odd given that is a week day in the UAE?

Yeah, originally I was told Nov 7th, Friday, I heard this morning Sunday 9th Nov. Likely to accomodate the ppl travelling. It'll be announce in the next week or so.

Course is out on the Palm at The Atlantis. There was an race ran there last month. Heard, swim one lap on one side of a palm froome and across the sand and then another lap.

Bike would be likely down the palm and out beach road towards town not sure where after. Traffic doesn't give a F about cyclists here, dunno what the plan is, all I know is they have serious backing from the powers that be. Run would be up and down the palm.

Will be non-wetsuit, nice and warm the water that time of year. Run will be hot hot hot !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

If twitter is anything to go by, there will be a lot of PRO athletes targeting Bahrain as an end of season blowout and a chance to pick up some cash. Macca is endorsing it also.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    If twitter is anything to go by, there will be a lot of PRO athletes targeting Bahrain as an end of season blowout and a chance to pick up some cash. Macca is endorsing it also.

Bahrain/Dubai, apart from the cash on offer to the 1%, Dubai is where its at!!
    No arguements!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

500 000 prize money for Bahrain is fantastic should be a great field.

As far as I am aware Macca is some type of spokesman/ambassador for Challenge Events so is probably wheeled out to endorse these new events whenever they are announced. A month ago he was in Dubai for a triathlon where he told everyone at the race briefing how great it would be for Dubai to get a Challenge event and how he is fully behind their bid.

As for the pros, I am sure that Bahrain will throw enough money behind it to make it worth their while competing whatever happens and while it might make for an impressive pro field would it make it any more enjoyable for the likes of you or me?

There is already established competition in the region with the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon and it will be hard to compete with an event that shuts down one lane of one of the motorways into the city entirely for a full day to let a race happen.

Dubai has a lot to offer if they have the right venue with the right course. There were a lot of complaints about the course there a month ago but the one mentioned above is slightly different and avoids the worst parts so maybe that wont be an issue this time.

Announcement made last night that registration is now open for the Dubai International Triathlon (Half Ironman distance)

http://www.dubai-tri.com/

Advertisement