Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband access

Options
  • 03-05-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

My local exchange box in Inagh, Clare, is not currently enabled for broadband. Can you tell me if, and when, this is likely to change? Will it be upgraded to fibre as a part of the rollout program?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Roynie wrote: »
    My local exchange box in Inagh, Clare, is not currently enabled for broadband. Can you tell me if, and when, this is likely to change? Will it be upgraded to fibre as a part of the rollout program?

Thanks
    Hi Roynie

I'm sorry to say that there are currently no plans made to bring broadband or efibre to Inagh at this moment in time. New plans should be available by early next year if you would like to get back to me I can check this again for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7 newstemp

On Apr/25/2014 the Clare Herald had an article,

"Broadband boost for 56 rural locations in Clare" 
    [ http = clareherald.com/2014/04/25/broadband-boost-for-56-rural-locations-in-clare-1089  ]

"The news was announced by Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte TD who confirmed a strategy to implement the National Broadband Plan."

"The Clare locations are: Ardnacrusha, ...  Inagh, ..." (56 or 57 are listed).

"Fine Gael Senator Tony Mulcahy described the announcement by  as “hugely significant for rural development in County Clare.”
    He added: “The absence of high speed broadband has been a significant problem in rural areas, and is hampering job creation. Therefore, I am delighted that 56 locations in Clare are set to benefit from the announcement.”

Senator Mulcahy commented: “Since the announcement of the National Broadband Plan in 2012, the number of companies, such as Eircom, UPC and Sky, offering high speed internet access has increased significantly. However, the Government recognises that the absence of fibre networks in rural communities has led to broadband blackspots. The Government is committing to investing significantly in our fibre network, to ensure that rural communities are not left behind. This will make it much easier for broadband companies to offer high speed internet access right across the country and will ensure that the recovery in the jobs market is felt nationwide.”

He added: “This is a highly ambitious project, which will address the areas of the country which cannot access commercial high speed broadband. The Government has already identified more than 1,000 locations nationwide which will be targeted, ensuring fibre networks are available so commercial companies can deliver broadband directly to homes and businesses. This approach will also ensure that the network is future-proofed, and capable of responding to new technology developments and increasing demand.”

“The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources will now proceed with an implementation plan in parallel with the comprehensive mapping process currently underway,” concluded Senator Mulcahy."

This indicates that a plan for fibre broadband at Inagh now exists at least by intent, however the details were not established at the time of the article, and no dates were given whatsoever.

newstemp wrote: »
    On Apr/25/2014 the Clare Herald had an article,

"Broadband boost for 56 rural locations in Clare" 
    [ http = clareherald.com/2014/04/25/broadband-boost-for-56-rural-locations-in-clare-1089  ]

"The news was announced by Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte TD who confirmed a strategy to implement the National Broadband Plan."

"The Clare locations are: Ardnacrusha, ...  Inagh, ..." (56 or 57 are listed).

"Fine Gael Senator Tony Mulcahy described the announcement by  as “hugely significant for rural development in County Clare.”
    He added: “The absence of high speed broadband has been a significant problem in rural areas, and is hampering job creation. Therefore, I am delighted that 56 locations in Clare are set to benefit from the announcement.”

Senator Mulcahy commented: “Since the announcement of the National Broadband Plan in 2012, the number of companies, such as Eircom, UPC and Sky, offering high speed internet access has increased significantly. However, the Government recognises that the absence of fibre networks in rural communities has led to broadband blackspots. The Government is committing to investing significantly in our fibre network, to ensure that rural communities are not left behind. This will make it much easier for broadband companies to offer high speed internet access right across the country and will ensure that the recovery in the jobs market is felt nationwide.”

He added: “This is a highly ambitious project, which will address the areas of the country which cannot access commercial high speed broadband. The Government has already identified more than 1,000 locations nationwide which will be targeted, ensuring fibre networks are available so commercial companies can deliver broadband directly to homes and businesses. This approach will also ensure that the network is future-proofed, and capable of responding to new technology developments and increasing demand.”

“The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources will now proceed with an implementation plan in parallel with the comprehensive mapping process currently underway,” concluded Senator Mulcahy."

This indicates that a plan for fibre broadband at Inagh now exists at least by intent, however the details were not established at the time of the article, and no dates were given whatsoever.

Thanks for that newstemp

I can still confirm that plans are not made to the level of where we can offer dates and timeframes but hopefully we can offer more information surrounding this next year.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7 newstemp

I understand.

On Aug/04/2014 a further article appeared in the Clare Herald confirming the previous information, titled,

"Mulcahy concerned over potential broadband price hikes"

and finishing with the sentence,

"The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources is presently preparing an implementation plan."

Again, no dates are given.

newstemp wrote: »
    I understand.

On Aug/04/2014 a further article appeared in the Clare Herald confirming the previous information, titled,

"Mulcahy concerned over potential broadband price hikes"

and finishing with the sentence,

"The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources is presently preparing an implementation plan."

Again, no dates are given.
    Thanks newstemp

I will be unable to offer you any information on planned pricing or operational reasoning behind pricing but if you need clarification on existing pricing do feel free to contact sales on free phone 1800 503 303 or via webchart here: [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/

Thanks
    Al
    [/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

Any idea how near to the new fibre exchange box I would have to live to actually benefit from the upgrade?

Thanks

Any idea how near to the new fibre exchange box I would have to live to actually benefit from the upgrade?

Thanks

Hi Roynie

The max distance you can be from a cabinet is 2KM but the coverage does not reach all directions from a cabinet, rather a pre-defined route is established in the plans and then homes on this route can avail of efibre when the cabinet is activated.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

No good for me then as I live 6Kms from the box. So much for helping rural Ireland!

No good for me then as I live 6Kms from the box. So much for helping rural Ireland!
    Sorry to hear this Roynie

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Al

Sorry to hear this Roynie

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement