Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent! Sent an international transfer to wrong account.

Options
  • 03-05-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello, i was sending money to an account overseas, I had all the details right, apart from the account number which was the persons friends account which i was originally going to send the money to, until she made her own account. I realized the mistake and called the Bank of ireland helpline and the woman made a note of it and said she would try and notify the bank branch i sent it from, sadly i sent  it late on friday of the bank holiday weekend, so the woman said i may not hear anything until tuesday. Is it possible to get it cancelled? will the friday count as one of the 5 working days it takes to send? What are the chances that the overseas bank will reject the payment if the name and account number dont match? Any help would be greatly appreciated, i am a bit worried about it, especially with it being a long weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi kop1121,

Thanks for contacting us here and welcome to Boards.ie

As you say you made the payment late on Friday after the cut-off time, the transfer would not be processed until the following working day which would be today, Tuesday the 6th May. It is not possible to cancel a transfer once you have confirmed it.  

When a transfer is made to an incorrect account, either the funds will be returned to your account within a number of days or the funds could remain in a holding account at the recipient's bank. We would not have a time frame for how long the return of funds can take.

If the funds do not return to your account, please call Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to investigate this further for you. 

Please let us know if you need help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kop1121

The bank called me this morning and said it was cancelled, i went into the bank just to make sure today and to send the money to the correct account, they said they would check it and make sure was cancelled for me just incase. But thanks for the help, ill keep an eye on my account just incase to see only one payment goes out. 

Hi kop1121,

Glad to hear that the branch sorted it out for you. 

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi kop1121,

Glad to hear that the branch sorted it out for you. 

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thanks sarah, the money left my account on friday last. But the still nothing in the recieving account. Just wondering is it 3-5 working days from when you send the money, or 3-5 days from when the money leaves your account?

Hi kop1121,

Thanks for your post.

The time frame would start from when you give instruction to your branch to make this transfer. 

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need help with any further queries. 

Thanks,
    Sarah 

• Advertisement

Hi kop1121,

Thanks for your post.

The time frame would start from when you give instruction to your branch to make this transfer. 

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need help with any further queries. 

Thanks,
    Sarah 

Well i filled out the transfer form last tuesday and handed into the branch. i was charged an extra 25euro for sending the money. I dont know if that means will go there faster. The money left my account on friday. I had assumed it was the first transfer i made that i cancelled and was as you said resting at the receiving bank and would return to me in a few days. The woman in the bank told me it should be arriving from today on and to come back if it hasnt arrived after friday. So my question i guess is when is a likely time for the money to reach the other account? Will it take 3-5 days from last friday when the money left my account?

Hi kop1121,

You mentioned that the bank rang you on the 6th to say that this first transfer was cancelled, it would be necessary to clarify this cancellation with the branch.

Please check with the branch you made the correct transfer in, on Tuesday, for clarification on the time frame and the type of transfer you made.

As we don't access to customer's account details here, we can't give you a definitive answer. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement