Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the siege of northgate street

Options
  • 03-05-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

when is the street opening i thought it was suppose to be only a week closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I wonder will they put the road back to its original state? The roads they've done around town are a disgrace

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sadly they won't return the roads to their previous state, since it's not the Companies responsibility. However, if I get a puncture in the meantime, I wonder would they appreciate a bill as much as I appreciate a blown tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I have heard the you won't be able to get into the town soon as it well be closed off the traffic for new pipe laying

Itzy wrote: »
    Sadly they won't return the roads to their previous state, since it's not the Companies responsibility. However, if I get a puncture in the meantime, I wonder would they appreciate a bill as much as I appreciate a blown tyre.

Really? Surely they are responsible for putting it back the way they got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Really? Surely they are responsible for putting it back the way they got it

no.
    they pay the council for every metre they dig up, and the council are then responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Here what is the story with North Gate Street. I hear when a group (who?) were digging, they found part of the old town wall. It that true?

Any news , update, links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

They found the foundations of the North Gate. They are remaining in place, with the pipes running alongside them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

the town bridge is being reduced to one lane for the works shortly too - gonna be some fun driving through town when that happens.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    the town bridge is being reduced to one lane for the works shortly too - gonna be some fun driving through town when that happens.

i heard it was to be closed off for six weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

no way? Fully closed off or just one lane?

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    no way? Fully closed off or just one lane?

fully closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Well considering for Northgate Street we were told it would be a minimum of 1 week, we are now into week 5. I wouldn't be too optimistic on a "6" week completion date.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Well considering for Northgate Street we were told it would be a minimum of 1 week, we are now into week 5. I wouldn't be too optimistic on a "6" week completion date.
    Well they got that bit right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Any rumours/inside info on when Northgate street will open again? It's been a long time now. I don't think I've seen any workers in there in weeks.

They were filling in paths and putting down tarmac on Thursday/Friday. We're now into week 6 tomorrow. When it will be back open, your guess is as good as any.

Passed through town at about 10 tonight and it looks like Northgate Street is open again! I didn't actually go down it but the barriers which were still there earlier in the day were cleared so I presume it's fully open.

Yup, the road is back open and the diggers are gone... for now.

After all that, we have very low water pressure today... I hope they don't have a leak somewhere.

We got a letter in the door saying water would be off altogether today from 8:00 until 16:00 as they connect up the new pipe.

whyulittle wrote: »
    We got a letter in the door saying water would be off altogether today from 8:00 until 16:00 as they connect up the new pipe.

Well that would explain that, I must have missed the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

how long will church street be shut no one working
    on saturday or sunday diggers just parked no work
    beign done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

finky1 wrote: »
    how long will church street be shut no one working
    on saturday or sunday diggers just parked no work
    beign done

How long is a piece of string ? It's an absolute sick joke to close off the whole centre of the town to traffic and make Athlone a town to be completely avoided at what should be the busiest time of the year for business. .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

mullingar rules athlone no digging beign done their

finky1 wrote: »
    mullingar rules athlone no digging beign done their

I can only assume that you meant to state "Mullingar rules Athlone, no digging (well done) being done there" - How profound....:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Long Gone wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string ? It's an absolute sick joke to close off the whole centre of the town to traffic and make Athlone a town to be completely avoided at what should be the busiest time of the year for business. .:mad:

The town is a fucking disgrace at the moment. They've blocked off Church Street and works are being/have been done along Grace Road also. I'm sure that's not the end of it either, since it's the water mains that are being updated. Then we have to wait until the Council take the finger out and repair the roads, which knowing them, will be a piss poor job instead of a complete resurface throughout the town where works have been done and resurfacing is desperately needed. And all this is going on during the Triathlone causing further disruption and frustration.

Itzy wrote: »
    I'm sure that's not the end of it either, since it's the water mains that are being updated.

It's unbelievable that the town roads are in the state they're in for the TreAthlone weekend......

I have a strong suspicion that the main reason reason that they are updating the mains is to facilitate the installation of water meters to extort even more money from the already suffering tax payers. Why don't they just go the whole hog and bring back taxes on windows like Cromwell and his mob subjected us to ? They've already imposed a sick and completely unfair tax on the family home in the form of the completely unjust property tax ! How much longer are the Irish sheeple going to put up with this incompetent and unfair nonsense from our self-serving, overpaid so-called politicians ? .:mad:

Long Gone wrote: »
    It's unbelievable that the town roads are in the state they're in for the TreAthlone weekend......

I have a strong suspicion that the main reason reason that they are updating the mains is to facilitate the installation of water meters to extort even more money from the already suffering tax payers. Why don't they just go the whole hog and bring back taxes on windows like Cromwell and his mob subjected us to ? They've already imposed a sick and completely unfair tax on the family home in the form of the completely unjust property tax ! How much longer are the Irish sheeple going to put up with this incompetent and unfair nonsense from our self-serving, overpaid so-called politicians ? .:mad:

So to summarise, the roads are a disgrace
    In other news, the bypass is supposed to be down to one lane some time this month too for bridge repairs. Dunno what bridge, just glanced over an article in the advertiser one day

The current tax system is a load of bollocks and it's a topic for another day. Back to the current state of Athlone, it's in an utter state and a complete embarrassment, given the weekend that's in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned some people off next years Triathlon, given that those who planned the works being done couldn't plan a piss up in a brewery.

So to summarise, the roads are a disgrace
    In other news, the bypass is supposed to be down to one lane some time this month too for bridge repairs. Dunno what bridge

That would be the bridge over the Shannon !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

finky1 wrote:
    how long will church street be shut no one working on saturday or sunday diggers just parked no work beign done

Work due to start Monday apparently. Workers were told to leave fencing and machinery in place over the weekend to have it ready to start. So I was told anyway by one of the businesses anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Long Gone wrote:
    I have a strong suspicion that the main reason reason that they are updating the mains is to facilitate the installation of water meters to extort even more money from the already suffering tax payers .

I thought that was the only reason for the works!

Advertisement