Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the siege of northgate street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Work due to start Monday apparently. Workers were told to leave fencing and machinery in place over the weekend to have it ready to start. So I was told anyway by one of the businesses anyway

Are they working a nighshift on it to get the work finished as as quickly as possible ? - If they're not it's even more of a disgrace ! :mad: The town is in a complete state of paralysis and chaos at the moment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Long Gone wrote: »
    That would be the bridge over the Shannon !

OK. Could of been any of the bridges on the bypass. Don't recall seeing which bridge in the article I skimmed over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

OK. Could of been any of the bridges on the bypass. Don't recall seeing which bridge in the article I skimmed over

Its the bypass (or as the Westmeath Indo stupidly named it "The Road To Hell).

I went for a walk through the town today, quietest I have ever seen it.

Its the bypass (or as the Westmeath Indo stupidly named it "The Road To Hell).

The Westmeath Indo stupidly names lots of things - A few years ago the Editor was constantly referring to Westmeath as "The lake County" - A name that he had made up. They are also responsible for constantly referring to The Far Side as "The Left Bank" .:mad: - God I hate that sort of rubbish ! .:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm absolutely convinced that most people are avoiding the centre of town at the moment because of these ridiculous road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I did that last saturday. Not a person around even with race on near the castle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I was speaking to customers over the last few weeks, they're holding off on coming into town unless absolutely necessary as they didn't want to get stuck in traffic.

When the works first started in Church Street, it took me 25 minutes to get from Northgate Street to Golden Island. In the last week or so, it's the normal amount of time 5-10 at a push. Goes to show that people are avoiding the town or bypassing it altogether.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I thought that was the only reason for the works!

They're upgrading the mains supply as well. People won't pay for glorified piss as Luke Flanagan so mildly put it.
    Are they working a nighshift on it to get the work finished as as quickly as possible ? - If they're not it's even more of a disgrace ! :mad: The town is in a complete state of paralysis and chaos at the moment.....

If they work night shifts, I'd be impressed. It's also as likely as me wiping my árse with €50 notes for the next week.
    BoB_BoT wrote: »
    I was speaking to customers over the last few weeks, they're holding off on coming into town unless absolutely necessary as they didn't want to get stuck in traffic.

When the works first started in Church Street, it took me 25 minutes to get from Northgate Street to Golden Island. In the last week or so, it's the normal amount of time 5-10 at a push. Goes to show that people are avoiding the town or bypassing it altogether.

Not a joke, but you're best bet is to head for the Motorway down by B and Q and get off at Garrycastle. A little extra mileage, but may reduce the time it takes to get around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Itzy wrote: »
    Not a joke, but you're best bet is to head for the Motorway down by B and Q and get off at Garrycastle. A little extra mileage, but may reduce the time it takes to get around town.

To get from Northgate Street to Golden Island :confused:

Sure that's mad ted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It is, but with traffic from the town bridge also trying to get to golden island via the station road and the traffic lights in between.......

Itzy wrote: »
    It is, but with traffic from the town bridge also trying to get to golden island via the station road and the traffic lights in between.......

Yeah you'll still be ten times quicker and burn ten times less fuel by heading up Garden Vale.

Unbelievable ! ! - Not only are they not working a nightshift to get the work done as quickly as possible, they're not even working weekends ! .:mad:

They're probably going home for lunch every day ! :rolleyes: - The people responsible for this work obviously couldn't care less about the inconvenience to the public and the loss of money to traders while this work drags on at a snails pace...... Pathetic ! :mad:

We're being taxed and stealth taxed and unjustly and unfairly taxed within an inch of out lives and this is the kind of public services we get in return ! . :mad:

Smartarse reply to a mail i sent about what is going to be done about the state of the roads. I detect a hint of the council not particularly liking irish water.

Thank you for your email. I shall endeavour to include any of your suggestions which are relevant when next discussing the temporary reinstatement (as it is now)and permanent reinstatement, to be placed after 6 months settlement in the trench, with the Contractor who are employed by Irish Water.
    Regards,

Grahame Niven
    SEE Water Services
    Resident Engineer
    Athlone Water Main Rehabilitation Project
    gniven@westmeathcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Smartarse reply to a mail i sent about what is going to be done about the state of the roads. I detect a hint of the council not particularly liking irish water.

Thank you for your email. I shall endeavour to include any of your suggestions which are relevant when next discussing the temporary reinstatement (as it is now)and permanent reinstatement, to be placed after 6 months settlement in the trench, with the Contractor who are employed by Irish Water.
    Regards,

Grahame Niven
    SEE Water Services
    Resident Engineer
    Athlone Water Main Rehabilitation Project
    gniven@westmeathcoco.ie

I can understand waiting for it to settle, but a better effort should be made to tar the trench instead of lobbing it in from a distance.
    Also, 6 months from the time it was laid is getting dangerously close to Christmas. Are they gonna close up the whole place again then?

6 months from the time it was laid is getting dangerously close to Christmas. Are they gonna close up the whole place again then?

Of course they are - This is Ireland ! - The whole thing has been designed to cause the maximum possible disruption and inconvenience to the general public and maximum loss of business to the Church Street traders. .:mad:

I have a feeling that the Church Street Traders Ball this Christmas will be a very austere event.......:(

I have a feeling that the Church Street Traders Ball this Christmas will be a very austere event.......:(

Northgate Street is fine now though, these guys will be partying

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

rumours the workers are on holidays soon and work will stop until they come back
    they are off to galway races whenever that is

finky1 wrote: »
    rumours the workers are on holidays soon and work will stop until they come back

That's an absolute disgrace ! No other country would tolerate that kind of nonsense .:mad:

finky1 wrote: »

Rumours? Or just the fact that construction workers generally holiday during race week.

Wow world exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

They would be called builder holidays. They always from them for two weeks or so around the bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah I read the 6 months settlement in the Westmeath Indo and I thought it was a misprint as I would have assumed 6 weeks would be long enough.
    How long to major towns abroad wait for the "settlement" and also they didnt wait 6 months for Northgate street before resurfacing.....

billbond4 wrote: »
    Yeah I read the 6 months settlement in the Westmeath Indo and I thought it was a misprint as I would have assumed 6 weeks would be long enough.
    How long to major towns abroad wait for the "settlement" and also they didnt wait 6 months for Northgate street before resurfacing.....

I think that it's the Karma gods punishing the town for too many locals using text speak on Facebook and the like. If I were a Karma god, that's what I would do. That'd learn them.

People crying about having to walk 100 metres to the bar etc. I sometimes wonder if they'd drive inside buildings if it were allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I think that it's the Karma gods punishing the town for too many locals using text speak on Facebook and the like. If I were a Karma god, that's what I would do. That'd learn them.

People crying about having to walk 100 metres to the bar etc. I sometimes wonder if they'd drive inside buildings if it were allowed.

Drive through pub? Now there's an idea.
    A bad idea, but it's still an idea.

It's not a crime for people to expect to be able to park within reasonable walking distance of where they want to go. They probably would drive to car parks inside buildings if such facilities existed - Why not ?

It's not a crime for people to expect to be able to park within reasonable walking distance of where they want to go. They probably would drive to car parks inside buildings if such facilities existed - Why not ?

Dunnes, The Strand, Fair Green car parks all within 100m of the bar.

100m is perfectly reasonable. If one good thing came out of these roadworks it is that it makes people do a little exercise.

As for driving inside buildings, my point is that theyd drive up to the bloody barstool

As for driving inside buildings, my point is that theyd drive up to the bloody barstool
    and over it on the way home. :pac:

Advertisement