Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne 10k Drogheda Sun 4th May

Options
  • 03-05-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hope to run my 1st 10k tomorrow in Drogheda at the Boyne 10k. Graduated from the c25k there at the end of March and have been chipping away and extending some of my runs over the last month. Anyone else entered/entering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Not doing it myself but I've been told there is a big field in for it, 1500 or so. Save something for the hill at 6k, it's a real monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Not doing it myself but know a couple doing it..meant to be great local support for it. Best of luck with it the buzz when you finish your first 10k will be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

thanks folks, starting to rattle now :eek: , hills will be a new thing, not too many round where i live :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

JMSE wrote: »
    thanks folks, starting to rattle now :eek: , hills will be a new thing, not too many round where i live :pac:

Remember what goes up must come down :)

Best of luck. I'm looking forward to it.

After heartbreak hill at 7km, there is a big downhill. Water station is just before that hill. Lots of supporters will be out to cheer you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Running in it for the second year, it is a great day and couldn't be organised any better. Km 6 though to 8 is tough with the 2k hill, but the support on the day is immense. Easily one of the races of the year for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Am doing this myself.

Did 5 miles yesterday and did the hill at 6-7km mark. It was ok. Plain sailing after that.

Looking forward to it now.

1 hour to go.

Just finished.
    Had set my Garmin to 6.21 miles and it ""completed workout" about 120m from the finish. Garmin stopped about 42.48. So I probably will get an official time of a little more than that. Will have to wait and see.

Did not position myself well at the start. Kept myself too far at that back of the wave. It took about a km to get clear road. So, I lost a good bit of time on that.

Took a while for the legs to get going after the hill at 7km.

Overall, fairly happy. Well run race.

Results are up. net time of 43.05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Thanks to D&D A.C a super event with a challenging course and most importantly a savage spread of cakes and buns after! Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Another super year, great organisation around the course, there isn't another run that the stewards give so much encouragement from the sidelines and with crowds most of the way around it makes for a very enjoyable run. Seemed to be the biggest crowd too, I'm not surprised they get more every year.
    Only down bit is the start- I entered as above 50 (coz I am) but as I walked down past the sub 50's I passed so many people I know that entered as sub 50 that I knew (knowing them personally that they were know where near it) and i checked the results there, the amount of over 50min runners who's chip and start time are almost the same proves this. i don't know how they could monitor this better maybe have some way for people to submit a sub 50 time, but when you spend 2-3 k passing walkers it gets very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Hi Madon, Can you post link to the results want to see how a buddy got on. Cheers!

• Advertisement

madon wrote: »
    Another super year, great organisation around the course, there isn't another run that the stewards give so much encouragement from the sidelines and with crowds most of the way around it makes for a very enjoyable run. Seemed to be the biggest crowd too, I'm not surprised they get more every year.
    Only down bit is the start- I entered as above 50 (coz I am) but as I walked down past the sub 50's I passed so many people I know that entered as sub 50 that I knew (knowing them personally that they were know where near it) and i checked the results there, the amount of over 50min runners who's chip and start time are almost the same proves this. i don't know how they could monitor this better maybe have some way for people to submit a sub 50 time, but when you spend 2-3 k passing walkers it gets very annoying.

how can they prove that you can run a particular time?

Fair enough, people should be honest in their times and put themselves in a better category. This happens in every race.

I had a bunch of girls (maybe 13/14) in front of me. I more or less had to force myself passed them.

Perhaps, they stagger the starts. sub 40, sub 45, sub 50 and so on. You also put a minute gap between the starts.

Narrow west street was always going to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

A fantastic race. The organisation was very smooth, the marshals were great and the crowds were very supportive. I got a PB of 44:29. I'd recommend this race to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Wahoo, that was my first 10k and (looking back now) I really enjoyed it. Great support, huge crowds out to see it and clapping you on - a great distraction from the hard work. Top marks to the organizers of a great event, stewards in place an hour before the race.
    The long uphill section at the Mell in the first 2k paid back great with a general downhill back down towards Oldbridge (Battle of the Boyne country for those reading from far away - a European war fought in Ireland!) so that was good and I tried to stride longer downhill, but the middle-flat riverside holiday ended as you hit the bottom of that hill that climbs up away from the river for what seems like forever. Then back up into West Street for the last push to the line. I forgot to look at the clock :rolleyes: but the church spire was showin about 3.54pm so am happy to be in that company for my first, I'll check the official chip times shortly. :)

edit: net time 51.53 - happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KCY76

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    A fantastic race. The organisation was very smooth, the marshals were great and the crowds were very supportive. I got a PB of 44:29. I'd recommend this race to anyone.

Very tough course. Only gripe is the cost. €30. Very very expensive on the day entry

KCY76 wrote: »
    Very tough course. Only gripe is the cost. €30. Very very expensive on the day entry

I signed up on Saturday morning and was charges €25.00.

It was in the Drogheda Independent that entries on the day would be €30.00

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

Great course, challenging but scenic! Nice start/ finish in the town and the hills around the countryside made you work for it.

I'm an over 50 min runner so lined up near the back and the amount of walkers I had to pass for around 2k on narrow streets was the only downside of the day.

Very frustrating when people insist not only on walking near the front but doing so in a line, blocking most of the street for anyone behind them trying to pass.

Really don't know how this can be changed, other than appealing to people's honesty. It's a small gripe on a good day & very well organised race.

Will be back in 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I'm an over 50 min runner so lined up near the back and the amount of walkers I had to pass for around 2k on narrow streets was the only downside of the day.

Very frustrating when people insist not only on walking near the front but doing so in a line, blocking most of the street for anyone behind them trying to pass.

Will be back in 2015!

Well, it was Drogheda after all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

KCY76 wrote: »

I signed up early on for €20 but then again, I was sure I was going to be running it no matter what, bar injury or emergency. €30 is a bit steep but the Great Ireland Run is more expensive if I recall correctly.

Advertisement