Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an airline pilot - Lifelong dream or reality?

• 03-05-2014 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

This is my first thread and post, but I feel I need to speak to a larger audience. I am just about to do my Leaving Cert. Wish it was over at this stage... Caused me some stress. Can only hope it is all worth it! Anyway, I aspire to be an airline pilot... I always did! It isn't one of these things where you say ohh! that looks cool, lets do this! Firstly, My bedroom walls are plastered in aviation photos... I can barely see the wall. My idea of a perfect day out is sitting on a hill by Dublin airport watching plane after plane come and go.. whether it is snowing, raining or scorching hot, I wan't to be there. I am totally aware of the funds involved in training. How risky the business can be, and of course all the other nuts and bolts that screw this job together! But now as I have applied to University, I feel I am not doing the right thing. My heart belongs in the sky... I am more interested in a plane crossing over my head at 36000 feet than I am winning a football match... I actually got emotional today when I passed the airport on the M1, and I seen a BA A320 soar into the sky... I thought to myself, why am I tearing up? But I realised it was something deep inside me realising that I may never ever get to do the job I have loved since as long as I can remember. It has been at me all day! And it is upsetting me! I play Flight Simulator X all day long... When I am not studying that is... Aviation is my life! No one understands my passion for it, not even my family. I think they think I am gone off the rails! All in all, reality is, I think if i do not make it as an airline pilot, it would kill me. From the inside out. I mean, I can't walk by or through an airport without nearly dying with butterflies in my stomach because I am going on a plane!! I sit in awe when flying and just savor every moment. Anyway, What I want to know is, what should I do in you guys opinion? Go to Uni and then see what happens, or apply for as many cadetships as possible? The fees also? Any advice on how I could obtain them for the airlines. Being honest, this is a job I would do for free, I would work bad late hours 7 days a week.. and I would relocate anywhere in the world! Just to make this come true, and spend my life doing what I have loved from the start of my life.

I hope someone out there replies soon!
    Ian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Just a small quick opinion here, be warned there are as many recommendations and "you should do this" opinions as there are aircraft movements in a day.

Apply to as many cadetships as you can yes, go to uni, get a degree you have an interest and passion in, but that also gives you someting to get a stable job with. Cadetships can be taken care of while that's happening if any of them actually open up for you, touch wood.
    Try get some work in the airport/ramp/etc during the summers.
    Get your qualification behind you while making contacts and maybe doing a small bit of PPL flying close to home during time at uni/summers.
    If no cadetships/sponsorships arrive have a look at going self funded with possible personal loans from the bank mixed with your own savings.

You seem to be clued in with the cost but just... it's not what it used to be. You clearly have a passion for it but realise that, especially with the "I will go anywhere and work for free" attitude, there will be any amount of people in aviation ready to take your money while promising you everything you want. Yeah chances are 4 years down the line it's going to be a similar beast to Ryanair/Norwegian but go in with your eyes open if you really *really* want it. Going down any route that isn't cadetship etc you will be years paying off the loans, working for a lot less than most think, and an 85%+ chance of not being based where you want.

Best of luck with it, bear in mind there are thousands out there like you, but if you stick with it and use plenty of cop on hopefully it will work out for you.

Finally, research on http://pprune.org but beware the high degree of nay-sayers, eternal wannabes, and the downright failed pilot keyboard warriors. Sift through that lot and there's great advice from the select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Being honest, this is a job I would do for free, I would work bad late hours 7 days a week.. and I would relocate anywhere in the world!
    Make sure you put this in your post when ask the question over on pprune....

You asked for some advice so here's mine, feel free to take it or leave it but the airline industry is not what it used to be and terms and conditions have plummeted over the last number of years, thanks mainly to similarly minded young hopefuls who also don't mind working unsociable hours for free in far flung corners of the globe. Someone like yourself who clearly loves aviation should consider studying for a more well paid career that will enable you to pursue your interest in flying as a hobby rather than a career. That's my advice.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

My advice, go for it. But like the two above posts get a job that's the only way I'm being able to fund my training. I'm nearly finished my PPL now and I'm set to begin my ATPL course at AFTA in Cork in Sep '14. I've been doing this all modular, paying my way and its the best way for me especially for the PPL as my bank has agreed I am more likely to get a loan for the whole ATPL course which Is great.

If you are like me love flying, can't take your mind off it even on days off have an actual passion for flight than you will always find a way to land (excuse the pun ;)) your dream job, it's not easy it costs a lot and there are times you ask yourself why am I still doing this? But it's when you near completion of one chapter of training you realise what it will be all worth. The fact you are young is great, do well in school get a degree (although that's not at all a requirement) and get a good job to pay at least some of your way through this. I did well in my leaving certificate, got a job which got me right into aviation in ground handling and have since taken up a job with the dream airline I aspire to work for - This will stand to me as I've been told as that's the reason the airline gave me the job, the fact I'm paying my way through this to upskill is a good trait for anyone and I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I think you need to think along those lines.

Focus for now damn hard on your LC when you're done that maybe get in contact with AFTA in Cork, they'll sort you out and explain everything - The stories of terrible pay and the lot really is over exaggerated as its the same with most jobs as the economy improves so do airline yields and so do (in stages of course) pay levels and promotions through growth at the airline and also airlines are learning that when they offer lower terms they lose a hell of a lot of pilots, Ryanair are one example who have an exodus (not massive scale) at the moment to Norwegian Air Shuttle, so they will I would hope respond to that with slightly better terms of contract. This is the sort of thing you need to consider, the what if's unfortunately - Always have a back-up and you'll get there eventually.

Good luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Ok I speak as someone who was right were you are now. I too was consumed by the dream at that age. An overly romanticised view of being a pilot and soaring the heavens on a daily basis. I knew nothing else would satisfy me in life other than being a professional pilot.

Looking back now I'm amused at my naivety. I still have much of the enthusiasm for aviation but reality kicked in long ago. I'm not even that sure if I even like flying all the much anymore but like any drug it's hard to give up.

But for you, a bit of advice. Wipe away the tears and start to consider the actual reality of what it takes to be a pilot and start planning. First and foremost being a pilot is a job, no more no less. Like any job you require training and experience. But also a certain personality. Pilots in general are of a type A personality. Quiet loners are rare. You have to be able to be in charge of yourself and others and be prepared to take responsibility. Assess yourself in that way. You will be assessed for that in any cadetship and indeed when interviewed for a job.

Go to college, leaving school after the LC and getting some job so you can learn to fly doesn't work. I tried it. A few years down the road with extra maturity and a degree under your belt makes all the difference. Getting a well paid job that allows you to save and or borrow is probably the most common method used by aspiring pilots. Pilots often have very successful careers before they become a pilot. In my time I know pilots were Engineers, Doctors, Soldiers, DJs and business people before they chased the dream.

It doesn't sound like your parents have the money to pay for flight school. They think you're mad as did my parents. (They were right). So that's no option. So you have to get the money yourself and outside a lottery win you'll have to save it or borrow it while working. That means you cannot realistically consider achieving your goal until you are in your mid twenties, cadetships excluded. That to you might seem a horrifyingly long time away. But it isn't. It is a long time to hold the dream though. But not that long. I did hear of a 51 year old first officer.

So what I'm saying is, great you want to be a pilot, it's your dream. Fine now let's get down to the nitty gritty. The practical reality of getting in on the career path. That needs planning. It's a path littered with frustration and disappointment but it's perfectly doable. Many others have achieved it. I did it, though never an airline pilot and many friends now live their dream or their compromised dream because reality has a way of dampening things.

One thing though, never say you'll work for nothing. You dishonour yourself and the profession you are entering. There are people who will exploit you for that. Some even have an aversion to paying for airline training. I have a friend who could walk into Ryanair tomorrow. He has the money and the talent. He won't pay though and would rather work his way through the ranks in smaller aircraft than compromise his principles. Of course the reality is that paying for training is going to be more common and is standard in Ryanair and Aer Arann (Stobart).

But don't work for nothing.

As for relocating well that's part of the job. Working seven days a week? It's expected sometimes. You won't stand out on that score.

Meanwhile get a flying lesson or two. Sometimes that's a reality check in itself. It's not the same as a flight sim or sitting in an airliner. Don't as some do, arrive sure of yourself based on your hours playing a game. More than one enthusiast has changed his mind after an hour in a noisy, bumpy light aircraft high in the sky, overwhelmed by the fact you there is no pause button and you could die. Flying yourself is not the same as being carried around in a jet. I suspect you'll enjoy it though.

So get practical. It's a job you want no more no less. Like any job there's a process to go through. Forget romance for now and get real. But there'll be plenty of moments when you do start to fly. They're rare enough though. Like flying over a layer of cloud set afire in a blaze of pink and orange by the setting sun leaving with the feeling that you're no longer on planet Earth or one of a number of moments where you realise you are experiencing something few of us ever get to see. But most of the time it can actually be boring.

Becoming a working pilot is rarely easy so it's a long path ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭weisses

Shoueki1 wrote: »
    I thought to myself, why am I tearing up? But I realised it was something deep inside me realising that I may never ever get to do the job I have loved since as long as I can remember. It has been at me all day! And it is upsetting me! I play Flight Simulator X all day long... When I am not studying that is... Aviation is my life!

Just go for it 100%

Regret for not pursuing a dream is worse then the possibility of failing in the process .... Believe me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Being honest, this is a job I would do for free, I would work bad late hours 7 days a week.. and I would relocate anywhere in the world!
    folbotcar wrote: »

One thing though, never say you'll work for nothing. You dishonour yourself and the profession you are entering. There are people who will exploit you for that. Some even have an aversion to paying for airline training.

Exactly, never ever work for free.

This is the reason airlines are exploiting this, hundreds of pilots willing to work for nothing, simply disrespecting them selves. All that hard effort put into it, for what?
    Even M'OL says, pilots are nothing but a glorified taxi drivers! That says it all.
    And hence we are all in the pool now, airlines are calling the shots. Some people even pay to fly:(
    It's a race to the bottom!

Even M'OL says,

Barely no one has time for what he says in relation to the profession of pilots, more spued crap every time he's asked about it.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Barely no one has time for what he says in relation to the profession of pilots, more spued crap every time he's asked about it.

No one does, but remember his door's are open, and he's the only gig in town at the minute.

No one does, but remember his door's are open, and he's the only gig in town at the minute.

There are plenty of others for example a few lads have gone from AFTA to FlyNiki then into Aer Lingus. EasyJet have 150+ orders in the same timeframe as Ryanair, so he's far from the only gig in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shoueki1

folbotcar wrote: »
    Ok I speak as someone who was right were you are now. I too was consumed by the dream at that age. An overly romanticised view of being a pilot and soaring the heavens on a daily basis. I knew nothing else would satisfy me in life other than being a professional pilot.

Looking back now I'm amused at my naivety. I still have much of the enthusiasm for aviation but reality kicked in long ago. I'm not even that sure if I even like flying all the much anymore but like any drug it's hard to give up.

But for you, a bit of advice. Wipe away the tears and start to consider the actual reality of what it takes to be a pilot and start planning. First and foremost being a pilot is a job, no more no less. Like any job you require training and experience. But also a certain personality. Pilots in general are of a type A personality. Quiet loners are rare. You have to be able to be in charge of yourself and others and be prepared to take responsibility. Assess yourself in that way. You will be assessed for that in any cadetship and indeed when interviewed for a job.

Go to college, leaving school after the LC and getting some job so you can learn to fly doesn't work. I tried it. A few years down the road with extra maturity and a degree under your belt makes all the difference. Getting a well paid job that allows you to save and or borrow is probably the most common method used by aspiring pilots. Pilots often have very successful careers before they become a pilot. In my time I know pilots were Engineers, Doctors, Soldiers, DJs and business people before they chased the dream.

It doesn't sound like your parents have the money to pay for flight school. They think you're mad as did my parents. (They were right). So that's no option. So you have to get the money yourself and outside a lottery win you'll have to save it or borrow it while working. That means you cannot realistically consider achieving your goal until you are in your mid twenties, cadetships excluded. That to you might seem a horrifyingly long time away. But it isn't. It is a long time to hold the dream though. But not that long. I did hear of a 51 year old first officer.

So what I'm saying is, great you want to be a pilot, it's your dream. Fine now let's get down to the nitty gritty. The practical reality of getting in on the career path. That needs planning. It's a path littered with frustration and disappointment but it's perfectly doable. Many others have achieved it. I did it, though never an airline pilot and many friends now live their dream or their compromised dream because reality has a way of dampening things.

One thing though, never say you'll work for nothing. You dishonour yourself and the profession you are entering. There are people who will exploit you for that. Some even have an aversion to paying for airline training. I have a friend who could walk into Ryanair tomorrow. He has the money and the talent. He won't pay though and would rather work his way through the ranks in smaller aircraft than compromise his principles. Of course the reality is that paying for training is going to be more common and is standard in Ryanair and Aer Arann (Stobart).

As for relocating well that's part of the job. Working seven days a week? It's expected sometimes. You won't stand out on that score.

Meanwhile get a flying lesson or two. Sometimes that's a reality check in itself. It's not the same as a flight sim or sitting in an airliner. Don't as some do, arrive sure of yourself based on your hours playing a game. More than one enthusiast has changed his mind after an hour in a noisy, bumpy light aircraft high in the sky, overwhelmed by the fact you there is no pause button and you could die. Flying yourself is not the same as being carried around in a jet. I suspect you'll enjoy it though.

So get practical. It's a job you want no more no less. Like any job there's a process to go through. Forget romance for now and get real. But there'll be plenty of moments when you do start to fly. They're rare enough though. Like flying over a layer of cloud set afire in a blaze of pink and orange by the setting sun leaving with the feeling that you're no longer on planet Earth or one of a number of moments where you realise you are experiencing something few of us ever get to see. But most of the time it can actually be boring.

Becoming a working pilot is rarely easy so it's a long path ahead.

This advice is fantastic! But all of you guys advice is! I am going to focus on university! And then when I have more life experience, and hopefully a job which keeps me somewhat financially stable during my Uni life, I will start to go after the dream! Ohh btw, My parents actually have the money to fund me through this, but as I told them, I wouldn't dare ask them for such a huge amount of money, to in the end, have a possibility of disappointing them and not getting employment. You all said it yourself, it is risky and it is veery false for anyone to say they can guarantee you a job after training!

Anyway thanks for it all! Very happy now!

Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

No problem, hope it all works out well for you.
    Now, if you're really interested in working for free, I have a large garden that needs a lot of work, when can you start....?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

Can I just add one thing, I'm in ATC so I wouldn't even begin to try and compete with the superb pilot specific advice advice given by those of a similar mindset to your own.

However, my best friend was one of those who knew flying was going to be his life. He went to an ATC centre for his TY work experience, did all the FSX stuff etc.....

He applied and got accepted to the PTC Waterford a few years back (before it hit the rocks) and was all set, money issues sorted.... went to get his medical, and was quickly informed that due to some silly eye problem (which may or may not deteriorate over time), he would never be able to fly. Doesn't need glasses, can see perfectly fine, but still has some niggly issue that they failed him on. I can't quite remember the ridiculous name of the issue though. He has been to specialists in both Dublin and London but it's no use. He was crushed to have it all taken away.

Also, when I did my medical with loads of other future controllers, 2 failed on different things during the medicals. It's not a guarantee. If I was to say one thing, even if you have no intention of hitting the skies full-time in the near future, it would be no harm to go and get a medical in the Mater at the aeromedical dept. Just my two cents worth, but it's one less thing to worry about down the line. It's a bit pricey but good piece of mind.

Finally, fair play for having the ability to put your feelings down on a page. Not easy to do and very brave. Hope it all works out for ya. You'll need patience and lots of determination but sounds like you have both in spades.

Good luck dude!

Ok bluntly, if your parents have the money. Get a PPL while in college. Apart from everything else it will help with any cadetships. Plus you'll be on scene. Get to know people. Establish yourself as a player.

Use every edge you have. At the end of college. You will be in a much better position

Oh yes the medical. Get it done soon enough before you invest any money or emotion. Get it out of the way. As an oldie I carry several issues that keep my medical current (three tabs a day) but which would stop you in your tracks. You havev to eliminate that possibility.

Can I just add one thing, I'm in ATC so I wouldn't even begin to try and compete with the superb pilot specific advice advice given by those of a similar mindset to your own.

However, my best friend was one of those who knew flying was going to be his life. He went to an ATC centre for his TY work experience, did all the FSX stuff etc.....

He applied and got accepted to the PTC Waterford a few years back (before it hit the rocks) and was all set, money issues sorted.... went to get his medical, and was quickly informed that due to some silly eye problem (which may or may not deteriorate over time), he would never be able to fly. Doesn't need glasses, can see perfectly fine, but still has some niggly issue that they failed him on. I can't quite remember the ridiculous name of the issue though. He has been to specialists in both Dublin and London but it's no use. He was crushed to have it all taken away.

Also, when I did my medical with loads of other future controllers, 2 failed on different things during the medicals. It's not a guarantee. If I was to say one thing, even if you have no intention of hitting the skies full-time in the near future, it would be no harm to go and get a medical in the Mater at the aeromedical dept. Just my two cents worth, but it's one less thing to worry about down the line. It's a bit pricey but good piece of mind.

Finally, fair play for having the ability to put your feelings down on a page. Not easy to do and very brave. Hope it all works out for ya. You'll need patience and lots of determination but sounds like you have both in spades.

Good luck dude!

Hey, Nice advice!
    But I completed my medical already. I got advice to get it done now to know if I can be a pilot or not :P. Passed with flying colours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

I had dreamt about becoming an Airline Pilot since I was a child.Between the Ages of 17 and 20 I applied unsuccessfully for ab-initio with aerlingus and the Air Corps. I began PPL training at 24 and over the next 5 yrs got trained to Airline Entry Level,(CPL, Multi IR, frozen ATPL, Instructor Rating)and started to apply to Airlines for direct entry.

I was about 30 at this stage.I tried a few but was unsuccessful,and I sort of developed a mental block - "I'll never get a job". Then the airlines started charging for the Type Rating which put me off more.I heard a few horror stories about blokes paying for the type rating and then getting canned or washing out. I worked full time as an instructor for a few years, then part time and then got a Job doing aerial work.

That company gave me an FO position on a Bizjet.I had ceased actively seeking an airline Job at this stage. I was 37 when I started on the jet and still interested in being an "Airline Pilot" but probably not as much as I had been. Anyway I hated the bizjet, Cranky Captains who couldnt Train, Living in hotels and hanging around Airports, The Company was a crap outfit and you were required to be on call the whole time. I thought I was going to go nuts and quit as soon as the bond was up. That was 6 yrs ago.

I have not worked since apart from some part time Instructing. About 3 yrs ago I quit flying altogether but the bug came back again last yr and I renewed my Single Engine Rating. At 45 all my Airline Pilot aspirations are gone and good riddance to them! There are Dreams and then there is Reality.One thing I've noticed is The amount of Airline Pilots that do not enjoy their Job or actually hate it. Most seem to have a sort of Love/Hate relationship with flying.

Anyway thats my experience, I know that to an "eager beaver" starting out nothing anyone says will change their mind, at least with me thats the way it was. I dont regret doing it, except that now I dont have a career and if I had put even half the time effort and money into a different career I probably would have done better, or maybe I wouldnt, Who knows!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 salthilljourno

Have you tried to get into the AIR CORPS ,?

I got a couple of interviews there in the past , but failed to progress on medical grounds ,

my contacts in there were not able do do anything for me , I was gutted ,and still am /

No problem getting a cadetship if you have the connections on the inside , or if you have any political influence , with the elections cumming up id use it to your advantage

Have you tried to get into the AIR CORPS ,?

I got a couple of interviews there in the past , but failed to progress on medical grounds ,

my contacts in there were not able do do anything for me , I was gutted ,and still am /

No problem getting a cadetship if you have the connections on the inside , or if you have any political influence , with the elections cumming up id use it to your advantage

Believe it or not, I have family who actually served in the defense forces, even out in Liberia! Hmm, also my grandmother worked in Aer Lingus for 25 years as a flight attendant too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I'm a ground engineer. Have been for over twenty years, and it astounds me how anyone would dream of being a commercial pilot!
    The first ten years are gonna be really tough. Bad pay. wrong location for you. mountains of paperwork. The actual flying part is a really small part of the job. Be aware of that going in.
    I wish you the best I really do, but don't think for a minute its a glamorous position. Being a commercial pilot can be tough, especially until you're established. I thought of going down that path, even got a ppl, but thought better of it. It'll be a long time before you're financially comfortable and the dreams of soaring through the skies will be replaced by praying for no slot delay and no final changes to the load plan!!!

I'm a ground engineer. Have been for over twenty years, and it astounds me how anyone would dream of being a commercial pilot!
    The first ten years are gonna be really tough. Bad pay. wrong location for you. mountains of paperwork. The actual flying part is a really small part of the job. Be aware of that going in.
    I wish you the best I really do, but don't think for a minute its a glamorous position. Being a commercial pilot can be tough, especially until you're established. I thought of going down that path, even got a ppl, but thought better of it. It'll be a long time before you're financially comfortable and the dreams of soaring through the skies will be replaced by praying for no slot delay and no final changes to the load plan!!!

Thanks for the advice Frankie, as good of advice as is, I still do not find any of that off putting.. Honestly, you could find that in any job.. For me, once I know I am going to be flying, or going to be in an aircraft, that's all I need! It just makes me happy..!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

I think the more negative comments on this thread are a bit off the mark. If you really want something and have a passion for it you will work hard to achieve it, like in any industry, in any walk of life. I think there are many unhappy pilots and I’ve met a few, but they never had the passion for what they were getting themselves in for or never realised the effort/cost it would take. Some had delusions about how cool it would be to be a pilot but it didn't quite turn out like they saw on top gun.

Then there are many who love what they do because they have a passion for what they do and OP you sound like you fall into that category so go for it. Its is a great job if you’re committed. My own experience is that I am passionate about aviation always loved flying, not necessarily to be an airline pilot and I did debate it for a while but I’m more of a free spirit and I don't think I would have lasted the training. I chose another path but I fly when I can (nowhere near often enough mind you and that’s where being an airline pilot wins), the new challenge is hang gliding, now that’s adrenaline! Go with your passion and don’t listen to the naysayers:)

• Advertisement

Guys, I am in such a dilemma right now. Magically... I got my number 1 CAO course, BUT! The catch!, I also got offered a cadetship with an airline... 80% paid, and I can indeed fund the other 20%. BOOM! Dream come true, and heartbreak. I am literally in mode - PANIC - right now. What am I going to do. I am loving college life, and I just would hate for it to come to a close so early! BUT, I also am so delighted about this amazing opportunity for a cadetship. Question: If it was your case, what would you do? Either way it is a major risk. But both have perks. I would like to think that if I did continue my academic path, I will hopefully get some sort of opportunity to accomplish this precious dream in the future.

All opinions will help me with my decision. They will be pondered on deeply, but in the end, I will indeed make the decision based on my own heart.

Thanks,

Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

You should take the cadetship, 80% paid, thats €80,000 worth, and a Job after it? You would be crazy not to go for it and Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Shoueki1 wrote: »
    Guys, I am in such a dilemma right now. Magically... I got my number 1 CAO course, BUT! The catch!, I also got offered a cadetship with an airline... 80% paid, and I can indeed fund the other 20%. BOOM! Dream come true, and heartbreak. I am literally in mode - PANIC - right now. What am I going to do. I am loving college life, and I just would hate for it to come to a close so early! BUT, I also am so delighted about this amazing opportunity for a cadetship. Question: If it was your case, what would you do? Either way it is a major risk. But both have perks. I would like to think that if I did continue my academic path, I will hopefully get some sort of opportunity to accomplish this precious dream in the future.

All opinions will help me with my decision. They will be pondered on deeply, but in the end, I will indeed make the decision based on my own heart.

Thanks,

Ian

What airline is that with? I though only EI funded that much and that programme only started. It's a tough decision though. The degree might benifit you in the long run but the opportunity to become a pilot might be slim (then again it might not depending on your situation) you should probably consider both options and maybe speak to career guidance in college or your parents just to make sure your making the correct choice.

I notice he has closed the account! What's that about?

Troll?

But to answer the question for anyone else caught in this 'terrible' dilemma.

The answer is obvious. Stay in college, you can always get another cadetship. After all there are dozens out there...........You can always get another one next year.

I turned down lots of cadetships and the RAF and Air Corps so I could pursue my dream to work in an office for years while spending all my money on flying lessons. I'd do it all again.

Seriously though, if that's a genuine question then the answer is really obvious. Stay in college, you don't really want to be a pilot at all. A cadetship is the holy grail for most aspirant pilots. Yet our friend isn't sure. If the cadetship fails then you can always go back to college. But you get one shot at a cadetship. One only!

The OP is a fake clearly. Took us all in it seems. Played his hand too early as there are no current cadetship offers going out. Basic mistake that.

Why do I think with all these fresh know all's ( been there, done that,etc)coming up in these threads every so often, that Mr.Suits and XWB are still alive:D:eek:

Advertisement