Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are IT Degrees being Devalued ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ChRoMe wrote: »
    That is a remarkable misuse of logic, its actually quite staggering what you have just done.
    Well, perhaps he wasn't terribly clear but I do get his point.

As I pointed out earlier one of the theories surrounding education economics is that it's not simply what one learns that sets the graduate apart. Completing a recognised and well-regarded course also:
    • Demonstrates they were smart enough to get into it, and;
    • that they put in the effort, commitment and discipline to stick it out.
    For highly-skilled labour the former of these is an attractive quality in human capital, and the latter is in pretty much any kind of labour.

And of the latter, which shows greater effort, commitment and discipline?
    • Someone who did the subject matter straight out of school, at 17 or 18, and probably had mommy and daddy pay for the course.
    • Someone who did the subject matter later, after already completing a qualification, probably while holding down a job and putting their own money where their mouth is.
    So if you only view education in terms of the pure subject matter, then the OP has a point, but that's not how it works. Add the other economic benefits and the H.dipper starts looking a lot more attractive.

Not saying it's right or wrong, although you'd have to be a fool to ignore such factors, just that this is how the World turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Employers look for more than just qualifications, as has been stated multiple times in this thread.

I think its entirely reasonable that a recruiter would look for some sort of demonstrable evidence of dedication and hard work.

You don't think that doing a h.dip part time on top of your regular work week shows that?

I basically agree Sparks' reply above.

But to address each of your questions in turn:
    Employers look for more than just qualifications, as has been stated multiple times in this thread.

Agreed - I even said that in my post - good employers will make a pretty good assessment of the candidate over and above what degree they do or don't have.
    I think its entirely reasonable that a recruiter would look for some sort of demonstrable evidence of dedication and hard work.

You don't think that doing a h.dip part time on top of your regular work week shows that?

I'm sure that doing a H Dip part time, on top of regular work, shows dedication and hard work. And lots of other good qualities, which is great. I'm not trying to be negative here, this is a great time to have a qualification in IT, and IT is a super cool area.

But, you said:
    If you could put a hard value on dedication and commitment, i'd say we lowly h.dippers are miles ahead of the degree students.

But, degree students have 4 college years of dedication and commitment to studying IT full time, vs. 1.5years part time for a h.dip.

I'm sure people who do good work on their h.dip will be just fine, but they just won't know as much as the good degree students.

The reality is that employers value knowledge and skills and ability to get stuff done much more than they value previous dedication and hard work - otherwise I'm sure people with PhDs would get a big salary premium, just because of their qualification.

I don't want to be negative - its a great time to have an IT qualification - and programming is hard, hopefully the hard work should pay off whether you do it in a h.dip or an undergrad.
    But, if you try and invent some sort of story for why the 1.5year h.dip is better than the 4year undergrad, don't expect people to take it at face value.

(Aside: you seem to use 'recruiter' and 'employer' interchangably in your post. These two things are not interchangable.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

fergalr wrote: »
    (Aside: you seem to use 'recruiter' and 'employer' interchangably in your post. These two things are not interchangable.)

Aye, i know, was tired, apologies.

Was studying for today's programming exam as it happens.

Not my intention to say a h.dip student is better than a degree student, Merely that i can prove dedication. Appologies again.

Bowing out now.

Advertisement