Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

identify faulty component in pc

Options
  • 04-05-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Hi

My PC has a quad core amd cpu, a ecs mcp61m-m3 v1 motherboard and I am running win 7 ultimate on a Samsung 250 GB ssd.

The issue that I have relates to freezing. Upon booting, if I open a few browser windows the PC starts to freeze.

Very often before booting, windows says my ssd needs to be checked for consistency, it fixed several files and starts again. Some time will pass until the usual freezing reappears.

Yesterday the issue was worse, since it failed to boot completely. My solution was to remove the ram and install a new bank of ram. I know that the ram isn't faulty because I had to do this before, by replacing the ram it fixes the freezing for some time before it re appears again.

My question is how do I identify which part of the PC is faulty?

Is it the ssd or the motherboard?

I was reading that for some motherboards the ssd drives need to be set to ide and not ahci in the BIOS but I don't have this option.

Is it a case that a ssd is not compatible with the motherboard?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JayMcS

Could be your SSD drive mate. install win7 on a standard hd an try the pc with all other hardware identicle an if your freeze is gone it's your SSD drive (intermitten fault)...

I had a similar problem with an ssd... I rang them an they replaced the drive. mine was an intel but very same pc just lockin up on me.

Try that if the freeze happens after u swap out the drive then it aint the drive. but I'd try that first off it probably is. as u say it aint the ram.

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

yes it was the ssd

replaced it with an old raptor and it's running smooth

hopefully samsung will replaced it as it's still within their 3 years warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JayMcS

Happy day's seem's to be a prob with some of them ssd's alright mine was only new when it happened.

Advertisement