Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.I.S or Computer science. Help!

Options
  • 04-05-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey, I'm 17 in 5th year. I'm planning on going to ucc. I do all the core subjects and I do accounting, chemistry, biology and french. I'm an A1 student in accounting chemistry and biololy. I'm a high B in maths and a C in English and French. All higher level except French and Irish!
    Now I don't know whether to do B.I.S or computer science.
    I understand that B.I.S is business and computers and is a broad spectrum of modules, where as computer science is more about just computer. Programming and that!
    I'm naturally good at business. In the junior cert I gave very little effort in business and got an A. Im very interested in computers.
    So what I'm asking is which would be better? Which pays more? Which is more guaranteed to get a job out of? Are there many jobs near or in cork?
    I've been told that technical mangers, development managers and software engineer managers get played well so which degree should I have?
    And last but not least what could I do with degrees. If I got a BIS degree what can I be? Same with computer science. The money is something I'd really like to find out.
    Thank you for reading this! Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JayMcS

I don't think it's a question of which pays more or which u would get a job at (I'm sure both) it's more a question of what do you want to work at ? do have a love of technology an computers ? if so then IT it is mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 natho_1977

JayMcS wrote: »
    I don't think it's a question of which pays more or which u would get a job at (I'm sure both) it's more a question of what do you want to work at ? do have a love of technology an computers ? if so then IT it is mate.

Well I'm good at business and I like it! And yes I do like computers! I fix my friends and laptops and service a few as a little kinda business thing you know so I have a big interest in but, I just want to know which is more benificual to me. I think I would like both computer science and BIS but I want to know which I should go for. I want to make money to go and enjoy life. Arint we all? Plus making good money and enjoying what you do would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As as a graduate of BIS, I could not advise it more. Feel free to pm with any question you have, and I'll dig up some time to get a proper response to ya during the week.

Let me know if you want to arrange a phone call or whatever either. I know its a little odd, but way easier to discuss it than by mail, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I would advise going for Computer Science. If it's the one in UCC (I presume as you're in Cork) you should check out the prospectus for that course here: http://www.ucc.ie/en/ck401/

Computer Science allows you to gain a great appreciation of technology and software engineering. It puts you in a wonderful position career-wise for when you graduate. A lot of employers will look for technical competencies in graduates (ie: what are they actually good at doing and their track record of doing it). The salaries for graduates vary. The spectrum could be from 24k-35k for a graduate, depending on the role.

Computer Science courses generally offer some modules relating to business, professional practice and entrepreneurship. The business aspect is generally easier to learn in comparison to the science / engineering modules, but you'll get more exposure to actually doing things with computers down the Computer Science route.

What exactly do you think you want to do? Software engineer? Software Tester? Systems administrator?

You're not gonna walk into a 70k a year job straight outta college with either degree btw :)

Advertisement