Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography predictions 2014

Options
  • 04-05-2014 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Just want to see what people's predictions are for this year's long questions. Like what topics do u think will come up.

Oh and don't just say u should just study everything and dont rely on predictions. im not relying on predictions. I just want to see if people are noticing any trends in the exam papers like there are for jc History

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Question 3 is *always* a mix of four questions and you pick three of them, that could cover anything really.
    Pretty sure question 5 is always related to Ordnance Survey Maps & Aerial Photographs.

Edit: I just went through the topics that have came up on long questions in previous years - there's only been a few topics asked 2+ years in a row (aside from OS/Aerial Photos) - Economic Inequalities (2011/2010) Factors Influencing Economic Development (2012/2011 - 2006/2005/2004) Rock Types (2005/2004) Economic Use Of Rocks (2005/2004)

What I've got *'d to study is Rock Types, Economic Use Of Rocks, Earthquakes/Volcanoes, Mechanical Weathering, River Erosion, Coastal/Glacial Deposition & Erosion, Rainfall Types, Climatic Types, Impact of Climates, Global Warming, Population Growth/Distribution/Pyramids/Density, Irrigation, Fishing, Location of Industry, Acid Rain, Aid, Economic Inequalities & Factors Influencing Economic Development.

=> I know it seems like a lot, but considering the other possible topics - it contains about 50-60% which really narrows down what you need to do.

Obviously, they could repeat something that hasn't been repeated before to "throw" us but even if they do that's only one question out of the five that you'll be avoiding and you still have the option of ditching one other question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Liordi wrote: »
    Question 3 is *always* a mix of four questions and you pick three of them, that could cover anything really.
    Pretty sure question 5 is always related to Ordnance Survey Maps & Aerial Photographs.

Edit: I just went through the topics that have came up on long questions in previous years - there's only been a few topics asked 2+ years in a row (aside from OS/Aerial Photos) - Economic Inequalities (2011/2010) Factors Influencing Economic Development (2012/2011 - 2006/2005/2004) Rock Types (2005/2004) Economic Use Of Rocks (2005/2004)

What I've got *'d to study is Rock Types, Economic Use Of Rocks, Earthquakes/Volcanoes, Mechanical Weathering, River Erosion, Coastal/Glacial Deposition & Erosion, Rainfall Types, Climatic Types, Impact of Climates, Global Warming, Population Growth/Distribution/Pyramids/Density, Irrigation, Fishing, Location of Industry, Acid Rain, Aid, Economic Inequalities & Factors Influencing Economic Development.

=> I know it seems like a lot, but considering the other possible topics - it contains about 50-60% which really narrows down what you need to do.

Obviously, they could repeat something that hasn't been repeated before to "throw" us but even if they do that's only one question out of the five that you'll be avoiding and you still have the option of ditching one other question.

Thanks you seem to have really studied the exam paper trends.

Thanks you seem to have really studied the exam paper trends.

I'd rather take a chance and gamble on what's gonna come up opposed to studying every topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Liordi wrote: »
    I'd rather take a chance and gamble on what's gonna come up opposed to studying every topic.

Yeah i know what you mean. The course is massive and geography is on the same day we do maths p1 so i'd rather just study what i assume will come up than go over the entire course the night before aswell as getting some maths done.

Yeah i know what you mean. The course is massive and geography is on the same day we do maths p1 so i'd rather just study what i assume will come up than go over the entire course the night before aswell as getting some maths done.

Suppose you know your self what you need to revise - guess it's good that the short questions form 40% of the exam so I'd like to try have 35+% before answering the long questions.
    Yeah, hate the fact that Paper 1 is on in the afternoon - I always make the stupidest mistakes when I'm tired.
    Though; I typically find Paper 2 to be much harder (<- people find that weird for whatever reason) so it's pretty good for me it's on the same day as CSPE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 rebCIA007

Geography is not one of the subjects I'd be predicting for :/ like history for example, but even my teacher says other than the OS maps you can't predict much. Farming and tourism...?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

**** Geography

rebCIA007 wrote: »
    Geography is not one of the subjects I'd be predicting for :/ like history for example, but even my teacher says other than the OS maps you can't predict much. Farming and tourism...?

Well, of course a teacher is going to say you can't predict what will come up - because that's true, but I'd rather make an attempt at guessing what will come up than having to study everything. :)

Advertisement