Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 4 Episode 5 "First of His Name": *HAVE* read the books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy. Read them in that order, slow going at first but you won't regret it. Similar enough setting to GoT in many ways. Not good if you're looking for a series that offs characters left right and centre though, Hobb loves her characters and if one dies they usually earn it.

I got through the Farseer trilogy quite easily but really struggling with Liveship. Keep trying to read it and only getting a few pages. I'm sure it's jist my timing of motivation and the fact I'm also getting through Clash of Kings again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

It's possible we will see LS this season. But.

We still haven't seen Arya have any dreams about wolves yet. We will need to see something like that first before they show her wolf finding the body on the river bank.

But it's also possible that they won't include that scene for budget reasons? Since it will be a lot of CGI. That's another reason we have not yet seen Cold Hands imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

jebidiah wrote: »
    It's possible we will see LS this season. But.

We still haven't seen Arya have any dreams about wolves yet. We will need to see something like that first before they show her wolf finding the body on the river bank.

But it's also possible that they won't include that scene for budget reasons? Since it will be a lot of CGI. That's another reason we have not yet seen Cold Hands imo.

They won't show it now because the RW is too long ago.

She was taken out 3 days later in the books, months have passed at this stage in the show. There would be nothing left of her body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Blay wrote: »
    They won't show it now because the RW is too long ago.

She was taken out 3 days later in the books, months have passed at this stage in the show. There would be nothing left of her body.

How does that mean they won't show it?

Lord Beric and the Brotherhood haven't appeared yet, there's nothing to say they haven't brought her back already.

Plus I was always under the impression that some time had passed between her resurrection and the hanging of Merrett? Even if that wasn't the case, that's a minor change that can easily be written into the show.

bopper wrote: »
    How does that mean they won't show it?

Lord Beric and the Brotherhood haven't appeared yet, there's nothing to say they haven't brought her back already.

Plus I was always under the impression that some time had passed between her resurrection and the hanging of Merrett? Even if that wasn't the case, that's a minor change that can easily be written into the show.

I meant that means they won't show Nymeria pulling her body out of the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

I meant that means they won't show Nymeria pulling her body out of the river.

Oh I get ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I think they will come up with something else to explain LS.
    Or maybe do flashbacks on it, but it's probably something non-book related because I also wouldn't know how it will fit in otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't really think there's any need to show it. Although I wasn't a big fan of all the Stark children being wargs anyway. They can have the brotherhood explain it in a line of dialogue anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Liam O wrote: »
    I got through the Farseer trilogy quite easily but really struggling with Liveship. Keep trying to read it and only getting a few pages. I'm sure it's jist my timing of motivation and the fact I'm also getting through Clash of Kings again though.

It takes a while to get used to the new characters I found but stick with it. Definitely don't skip it before the tawny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't really think there's any need to show it. Although I wasn't a big fan of all the Stark children being wargs anyway. They can have the brotherhood explain it in a line of dialogue anyway.

Bran or Jojen will see Nymeria pull a body out of the water. When they wake up they won't understand it or just pass it off as the wolves "feasting". At the end of the episode we'll be reintroduced to the brotherhood without banners talking to Merrett Frey (or just some randomer who was at the red wedding). Just before the lady is revealed we get a glimpse of Nymeria which will get people thinking "what's the relevance of this direwolf?". After the reveal when people are trying to digest what they just saw they'll put two and two together and realise that Bran, Jojen or possibly Arya (unlikely to be her though) saw Catalyns body being dragged out of the water and all will become clear... That's how I picture it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think the Direwolf dragging the body out of the river scene won't be shown, they will go straight to LS hanging Freys or Brienne and Pod.

Also, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if LS is cut, much like Coldhands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

It takes a while to get used to the new characters I found but stick with it. Definitely don't skip it before the tawny man.

Agreed, I found the first book of the Liveship trilogy a bit of a slog but once you get into it it's really great. Then you have the Tawny Man trilogy to look forward to - the best of the series in my opinion. The Rain Wild Chronicles is well worth a read too, just make sure you leave it until last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think the Direwolf dragging the body out of the river scene won't be shown, they will go straight to LS hanging Freys or Brienne and Pod.

Yeah, you see the issue is that we dont know where GRRM is going with Coldhands or LS - I think we can safely assume that cut characters play no important role in the last 2 books - so I am no assuming that Coldhands was an interesting diversion, like Strong Belwas, but thats the extent of his role. If LS gets cut we will know its the same deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd be very, very surprised if LS was cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think we can safely assume that cut characters play no important role in the last 2 books

That would be my thinking too.
    I'd be very, very surprised if LS was cut.

I'd be disappointed, but not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'd be disappointed, but not surprised.

I wonder how they'd deal with the hangings if they have no witness to those who are 'guilty'.

I don't think she will be cut out!
    Too important i'd say and I don't know in which episode-thread it was (i read both, read and not read book), someone mentioned that there was a pic on twitter of a stone heart and it seems like ppl think that LS will be shown soon (theories tho)

celica00 wrote: »
    I don't think she will be cut out!
    Too important i'd say and I don't know in which episode-thread it was (i read both, read and not read book), someone mentioned that there was a pic on twitter of a stone heart and it seems like ppl think that LS will be shown soon (theories tho)

Lena Headey who plays Cersei posted it on Instagram or Twitter or something. Could be a red herring or a nod to book readers.

Lena Headey who plays Cersei posted it on Instagram or Twitter or something. Could be a red herring or a nod to book readers.

Thats what I meant, thanks :)

Its a tricky one but defo think she will be back!
    Maybe that's a WTF moment then, I would love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

There's no way in hell that if we do have Lady S she'll "hang" Brienne and Pod this season. Maybe I'm one of the few that really enjoyed her wanderings in AFFC but they could do it to show off bits of Northern Ireland next season. Also they can meet Randyll Tarly, "The Monk" and perhaps Gendry and all that too. Plenty to do.

I'd be very disappointed if they cut straight to that this season plus would screw up Jaime's timeline loads too.

• Advertisement

There's no way in hell that if we do have Lady S she'll "hang" Brienne and Pod this season. Maybe I'm one of the few that really enjoyed her wanderings in AFFC but they could do it to show off bits of Northern Ireland next season. Also they can meet Randyll Tarly, "The Monk" and perhaps Gendry and all that too. Plenty to do.

I'd be very disappointed if they cut straight to that this season plus would screw up Jaime's timeline loads too.

Definitely. They could reveal LS for hanging the Freys near the end of this season though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would be surprised if they showed Cats body being dragged out of the river, would be too easy for the more perceptive viewers to see what's coming I think.

I would be surprised if they showed Cats body being dragged out of the river, would be too easy for the more perceptive viewers to see what's coming I think.

Yeah I'd prefer a surprise reveal. It'll come out of nowhere for the non-readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I think the audience should definitely share Brienne's shock once she realises who her captor is. That is definitely the best and most thrilling way to introduce LS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I think they should let the audience work out that it's Catelyn. I really hope the producers don't hold our hands through the reveal.

Maybe show a worn down Lady Stoneheart and slowly reveal Thoros beside her or something.

Anything that increases the wow factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dunno. At least some will react the way some book readers did (me included) and just go "ugh, this is getting retarded". :o
    I was not a fan of LS and I don't get the fascination with her at all.
    I would love it if they cut LS.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Hows that :O

I bet they make her scaaaaaaaaaarry looking or something freaky altogether.
    (considering how they shocked die audience so far with "normal" scenes and people)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I thought LS was a bit silly at first too. I wasn't exactly pleased with dragons as a central theme, but then zombies? I thought to myself "Nahhh... Lame" but I like how it played out in the story and what the er, "consequences", of having LS around meant.

I do hope for the show they make her really grotesque and hideous looking though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

LS could be a case of she appears, then its shown through flashback her being dragged out of the water and Beric contemplating his sacrifice with Thoros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I agree with you in that I think she is a bit of a cop out and a stupid character but she's still potentially mportant to the storyline so they can't cut it. Same way I hate Dany and her sitting on her arse for nearly two books.

LS and the BwB obviously have something planned in Riverrun since Tom o' Sevens is there as a singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

A number of things interest me in regards to LS. For one, I'm a fan of horror so this is really up my street.

But it's also what drives LS and where its going to bring her that intrigues me. LS isn't Cat, she's the remnants of Cat's dying feelings of pure rage and despair. It's those feelings rather than love that are driving her so you have to wonder, what would happen if Stoneheart ever comes face to face with the reality that is alluding her: that not all of her children are dead.

She can never be happily reunited with her family and indeed, she probably would not want to at this stage because she knows it wouldn't work. It would probably drive her even more over the edge to know that her children are alive, so over the edge that she might even hurt them.

I just find the possibilities with the character fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

The thing I'd hate most about Lady Stoneheart being cut is that it would essentially tell us that she's not playing a big part in the next books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I dont see how they can cut LS beacuse she instigates Brienne going after and tricking Jaime to follow her. If there's no LS then there's no Brienne luring Jaime, to his death (presumably).

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I dont see how they can cut LS beacuse she instigates Brienne going after and tricking Jaime to follow her. If there's no LS then there's no Brienne luring Jaime, to his death (presumably).

I hope Jaime's death (if it happens) isn't that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Jamie can't die until he's strangled Cersei.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hotale.com wrote: »

Me too, but my point is that I dont see how they can cut LS from the show. Otherwise Brienne has no real reason to trap Jaime.

Jamie can't die until he's strangled Cersei.

I hope it's not him, even more obvious than Tyrion killing her IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Trying to remember in the book but was it Merryn Trant who was travelling with Brienne and Podrick?

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Trying to remember in the book but was it Merryn Trant who was travelling with Brienne and Podrick?

Nimble Dick then later it's Hyle Hunt, Trant is Kingsguard.

• Advertisement

Wasn't his name like... Long Dick? Surely not? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Nimble Dick Crabb. I think his sigil is a dose of penicillin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Thanks. Remembered that he was remorseful over how he treated Sansa under Joffreys orders so thought it was Trant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thanks. Remembered that he was remorseful over how he treated Sansa under Joffreys orders so thought it was Trant.

Any boy whore with a sword could beat three meryn trants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Does anyone else think Hodor Hodoring has gotten more Northern Irish this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Gbear wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Hodor Hodoring has gotten more Northern Irish this season?

As long as he's Hodoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Gbear wrote: »

Yes! I particularly noticed a very nordy HODOR when he was being bullied at Crasters Keep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Yes! I particularly noticed a very nordy HODOR when he was being bullied at Crasters Keep!

I thought it was just me noticing it since I saw an interview with the actor in his own (nordy) accent. The accents in the show are all over the place. How come the Stark girls and Bran have Home Counties accents but Ned, Jon and Robb have northern English accents? Bugs the hell out of me!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I thought it was just me noticing it since I saw an interview with the actor in his own (nordy) accent. The accents in the show are all over the place. How come the Stark girls and Bran have Home Counties accents but Ned, Jon and Robb have northern English accents? Bugs the hell out of me!

Catelyn's influence I would imagine..Bran was her baby, lot of southron influence on the younger ones. Robb would have been under Ned's tutelage same with Jon for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Catelyn's influence I would imagine..Bran was her baby, lot of southron influence on the younger ones. Robb would have been under Ned's tutelage same with Jon for obvious reasons.

But she has a softer brogue whereas the girls and Bran have fairly plummy accents!

• Advertisement
Advertisement