Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for dealing with stress?

• 04-05-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey, so I'm in leaving cert and my first choice is Actuarial & Financial Studies in UCD and the points are really high at 560. I do have other options and ways of becoming an Actuary, like the Common Entry into Actuarial, Financial and Mathematical Sciences in DCU and the points are a good bit lower at 430. So that does take the pressure off a bit, but I'm still really stressed. I suffer from anxiety a lot. I have worked since the start of the year, as in I did all my homework, studied for class tests etc, but I didn't exactly sit down and study every night. I study 8 subjects, 7 at higher: French, English, Maths, Biology, History, Business and Applied Maths, and Irish at ordinary. I got 485 points in the mocks, (although I did my Applied Maths mock over the Easter and haven't got the result yet) but I felt our teachers gave us a lot of hints. I feel under a lot of pressure to do well, I feel like my teachers and peers have high expectations. Even my Irish teacher told me she expects nothing less than an A1 from me, but to be honest I don't want to study much for it, since its my ordinary subject. I'm losing a lot of sleep and I'm constantly exhausted. I spent a couple of my days of Easter studying. But I find it almost impossible to get motivated and every time I sit down to study I get very stressed and can't concentrate. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has gone through this, any ideas or tips to battle the stress and pressure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I can relate as my first choice course is 570, but I know other options are available to me too, so that relaxes me greatly.

Honestly, I don't feel that pressured. Just reassure yourself that you'll do your best as that's all anyone can expect from you. I know people say these things like "Oh you'll get 600 points" but just think of that as other people's belief in you and shows that you have potential. Ultimately, however, I set my own goals and you should too. This is what should matter to you.

In terms of stress, just remember that the LC is just a minor thing in the scheme of life. Not getting all philosophical but there are so many more important things and I think realising that reduces stress levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

robman60 wrote: »
    I can relate as my first choice course is 570, but I know other options are available to me too, so that relaxes me greatly.

Honestly, I don't feel that pressured. Just reassure yourself that you'll do your best as that's all anyone can expect from you. I know people say these things like "Oh you'll get 600 points" but just think of that as other people's belief in you and shows that you have potential. Ultimately, however, I set my own goals and you should too. This is what should matter to you.

In terms of stress, just remember that the LC is just a minor thing in the scheme of life. Not getting all philosophical but there are so many more important things and I think realising that reduces stress levels.

This is true but a lot of people use this excuse to doss off and take away their guilt. All you can really do is your very best and once you can do that you can walk out of the expperience with your head held high on your way to college next year :D

Seriously though a few weeks after your last exam, you will forget all about it. OP, when you apply to be an actuary in 4/5 years time your Leaving Cert results won't even matter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Just think about lads who are studying for their medicine exams spending 10-14 hours a day in the library. Compared to them the leaving cert is a walk in the park. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Huell wrote: »
    Just think about lads who are studying for their medicine exams spending 10-14 hours a day in the library. Compared to them the leaving cert is a walk in the park. :P

Is it weird that I hope that will be me next year? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

Maybe ill see you next year as I am also going for actuarial and financial studies. I know how you feel about the pressure. Lots of people say ill get in easily but 560 is a lot and im not the best to study

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There will be other pressures in your working life. It might be an idea to look at meditation and techniques to help with your anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

robman60 wrote: »

Yeah I know it's important to have my own goals, but it's hard not to let them be influenced by other people. To be honest, I'd be happy with any of the courses I've applied to.
    I know there are more important things but at this point in life, the LC is kinda the very important :p but I will try to keep that in mind
    thelad95 wrote: »
    This is true but a lot of people use this excuse to doss off and take away their guilt. All you can really do is your very best and once you can do that you can walk out of the expperience with your head held high on your way to college next year :D

Seriously though a few weeks after your last exam, you will forget all about it. OP, when you apply to be an actuary in 4/5 years time your Leaving Cert results won't even matter :)

I'm sure that afterwards I'll feel a bit stupid for getting so worked up, I always do but it doesn't stop be from doing it again :P I think its just the exams are so close and I'd rather just get them done now than have to think about them constantly for the last few weeks.
    Huell wrote: »

That actually makes me a feel a bit better, thanks :p
    pajc wrote: »
    Maybe ill see you next year as I am also going for actuarial and financial studies. I know how you feel about the pressure. Lots of people say ill get in easily but 560 is a lot and im not the best to study

Best of luck with it and yeah maybe :) People tell me I'd get 500 points without trying, but I highly doubt that's possible. I used to be okay to study, but now when I come to something more difficult I feel inclined to give up rather than to try harder.
    spurious wrote: »
    There will be other pressures in your working life. It might be an idea to look at meditation and techniques to help with your anxiety.

I've tried some meditation which didn't work for me, but of course I'll look into different types until I find something that works. I've tried to get help with my anxiety by talking to my mother (who doesn't seem to understand it) and my guidance counsellor (who isn't too helpful). I'll just have to work a bit harder to try and deal with it in my own way. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I can definitely relate! To be honest I think most people applying for courses with 500 up points feel under pressure. I feel under pressure to achieve my own goals, but at the same time everyone around me also expects me to do this no problem. So if it makes you feel any better, you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Trilogy

Op, could I just tell you of my experience...

I was the same as you, aiming for a course well in the 500s and stressed out. When i got my results, i was 15 points short.

15. I was devestated. I could have decked the next person who said something like "but you did so well anyway" and "sure things happen for a reason"

I went to check a few papers but was so overwhelmed on the day that i never resubmitted them, i just left.

I took my second choice CAO choice (a similar healthcare course) and 11 years on, i can honestly say its the best thing that ever happened to me.

I LOVE my job. I have better hours, pay and holiday entitlements than the vast majority of my friends. I get sincere fullfillment from the work i do.

I suppose i would agree with the old saying that "sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck"

So aim high of course. Be proud of your effort and do your best. But dont put your eggs all in one basket. Keep an open mind and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck!

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've always felt I deal well with stress/pressure but I just think I have zero confidence in my own ability. ZERO. Anyone else feel the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I need 560 for my top choice too, Biomedical Science in UCD, but the points have been rising steadily so Id say Im looking at 570ish :(
    Luckily there's an almost identical course in Trinity for 530, but at the same time Ive had my heart set on UCD's course for so long Id be devastated if I didn't get it :(
    The points Ive gotten in exams have been dropping since 5th year, and Im just praying that I get higher than my mocks in the real thing :o

But, the way I look at it, its only 4/5 more weeks, and then its all over, so just push yourself now to do the best you can and that way in August you wont be left saying 'if only i'd studied a bit more' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I can definitely relate! To be honest I think most people applying for courses with 500 up points feel under pressure. I feel under pressure to achieve my own goals, but at the same time everyone around me also expects me to do this no problem. So if it makes you feel any better, you're not alone!

I'd say its rare to have a leaving cert that feels no pressure at all :p And yeah, I know that its a problem nearly everyone feels. So I guess people who feel the same will be more considerate and not so judging about other people's points.
    Trilogy wrote: »
    Op, could I just tell you of my experience...

I was the same as you, aiming for a course well in the 500s and stressed out. When i got my results, i was 15 points short.

15. I was devestated. I could have decked the next person who said something like "but you did so well anyway" and "sure things happen for a reason"

I went to check a few papers but was so overwhelmed on the day that i never resubmitted them, i just left.

I took my second choice CAO choice (a similar healthcare course) and 11 years on, i can honestly say its the best thing that ever happened to me.

I LOVE my job. I have better hours, pay and holiday entitlements than the vast majority of my friends. I get sincere fullfillment from the work i do.

I suppose i would agree with the old saying that "sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck"

So aim high of course. Be proud of your effort and do your best. But dont put your eggs all in one basket. Keep an open mind and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck!

T

Thanks for sharing your story, I'll keep it in mind when I do get my results. :) I've always been told things will work out the same they are suppose to, so hopefully they will.

aleatorio wrote: »
    I need 560 for my top choice too, Biomedical Science in UCD, but the points have been rising steadily so Id say Im looking at 570ish :(
    Luckily there's an almost identical course in Trinity for 530, but at the same time Ive had my heart set on UCD's course for so long Id be devastated if I didn't get it :(
    The points Ive gotten in exams have been dropping since 5th year, and Im just praying that I get higher than my mocks in the real thing :o

But, the way I look at it, its only 4/5 more weeks, and then its all over, so just push yourself now to do the best you can and that way in August you wont be left saying 'if only i'd studied a bit more' :)

Yeah its a very short period of time, and I think its the anticipation that is driving me crazy. I've got 2 weeks off before the exams, so I think I can get a lot done then. Although I got 100% in a biology test last week and my teacher said she's afraid I'm working too hard and I'll burn out before the exam. I think I'm okay though. Anyways best of luck with your exams and I hope you do get into UCD.

In other news, the mock company lost my Applied Maths mock so I won't get those results and have to sit another mock.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Make sure you get exercise, even if it's just a short walk outside or kicking a football about for a while. I know it's hard but try to get enough sleep as well. You need to be able to focus and to concentrate and if you're tired it will just make everything worse. Try listening to relaxing music when you feel yourself getting stressed. Just lie down, close your eyes for a few minutes and listen to the music, I know it really helps me. Or while your studying put some relaxing (non-distracting!) music on a low volume. This helps me to concentrate when I feel really stressed and like I can't do anything. Try to stay relaxed and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Bets of luck :)

Advertisement