Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel, Car & health insurance cover

Options
  • 04-05-2014 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Hoping those with experience of the USA can help with this query.

Heading Stateside soon but need to sort out the travel insurance with health cover and the car insurance.

Car Insurance - Is it best to take out the fully monty (Excess + CDW) or just excess only. Big price difference on the websites offering this.

Travel Insurance with Health Cover, as we have no current private health insurance who is best to offer this? I presume health cover comes under the Travel Insurance?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fiskar wrote: »
    Travel Insurance with Health Cover, as we have no current private health insurance who is best to offer this? I presume health cover comes under the Travel Insurance?

You'd need travel insurance anyway, even if you had local cover under VHI or Laya or whatever because medical bills in the US can quickly go well beyond the basic cover they give you when travelling. Virtually all travel insurance includes health cover, just make sure that you say upfront that you're going to the US and make sure the small print has a very large limit like 3 or 4 million dollars.

Can't advise you on the car excess, I believe that's typically sold as a separate policy to regular travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Check with your credit card company for rental car insurance. A lot of cards here give you the same insurance coverage that you pay extra for at the rental agency. Selling insurance is how they make a lot of money :) If you are covered by your credit card issuer, decline the insurance at the counter. They will usually give you the hard sell, but if you're covered, you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Check with your credit card company for rental car insurance. A lot of cards here give you the same insurance coverage that you pay extra for at the rental agency. Selling insurance is how they make a lot of money :) If you are covered by your credit card issuer, decline the insurance at the counter. They will usually give you the hard sell, but if you're covered, you don't need it.

Be careful! What credit cards will sometimes cover is secondary insurance, not primary. Secondary refers to the portion unpaid by a standard auto insurance policy. I think this is referred to as the 'excess' in Ireland? In the US, the term is deductible.

Good article here: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/does-your-credit-card-insure-a-rental-car-1.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Tesco Bank in Ireland does not offer travel insurance, they are my CC provider.

Car insurance, I may go through insurance 4 car hire with full CDW as I have not had a happy time with rentals picked up over the years.

Advertisement