Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roommate refuses to return deposit

Options
  • 04-05-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi
    I live in Sandyford in a house with 5 other people we all work in the area and everything was going fine until 1 month ago when one of the tenants got offered a job in Cork which was a great opportunity for her and we all encouraged her to take. Our lease is 3 year and in up the beginning of May next year (so there is 1 year left). She got the lease reassigned and payed all the bills and rent until she left and someone moved in ( Actually i think the new person didn't have to pay rent for a week and a half because it was already payed). There was no problems there. As she had to leave she asked that we her former housemates would send her deposit on when the LL gave it back, as the new person payed their deposit.

The problem is when the deposit was handed back to one of my housemates (basically the head housemate she makes sure the bills are payed and the rent is payed) she refused to send it on to the girl that moved out and there is no bills to be payed or rent arrears. And the former tenant has been in contact about the deposit to LL and then to head housemate who basically told her that she didn't deserve the deposit back because she left the lease early.

I am friends with both of them and I am trying not to get involved but the head housemate has just gone and booked a holiday with her boyfriend to Italy and is leaving us the rest of the housemates in trouble as the girl is seeking legal advice against all of us. I think the deposit should be returned to the girl who left but the rest of the housemates didn't even know about the deposit situation until a letter from a lawyer turned up for each of us including the girl that just moved in. The letter threatened legal action if the money wasn't returned promptly. The head housemate denied any knowledge of the deposit saying she sent it on, she only admitted it later on when she got really pissed at us for taking the girl who left side.

I was just wondering what action could be taken against us, or what could be done?? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im not sure what could be done, getting the money back may cost more than it is worth through the small claims court but seeing as she found a replacement and paid all the bills she should be getting her part of the deposit back, I would have just paid the deposit straight to the person leaving (minus any damage they agreed to pay) but it is too late for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HauntedHouse

I forgot to mention that the head housemate thinks she doesn't have to return the deposit until the entire lease is up as she feels that the girl who moved out should be liable too. Can she just decide to do this if the landlord let her go already.

the letter basically says that the money totaling 575 euro most be returned and that if further action is taken we are liable to pay all the costs. The girl who left has been very civil about this and hasn't even asked the girl who moved in to pay the week and half rent she technically owes her and she doesn't want any of the money or property the whole house owns as it is too much of a hassle.

the letter basically says that the money totaling 575 euro most be returned and that if further action is taken we are liable to pay all the costs. The girl who left has been very civil about this and hasn't even asked the girl who moved in to pay the week and half rent she technically owes her and she doesn't want any of the money or property the whole house owns as it is too much of a hassle.

Think she can claim up to 2,000 through the small claims court and if she did go that way I would expect her to win. Tell the person in charge to just send her the part of the deposit. Sounds like she is attempting to keep it to herself and 575 euro is a reasonable amount to go after seeing as it costs 25 euro to go through the small claims court.

If there is damage done (she broke a chair or something) then the price to replace that can be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The deposit should be returned in full. If you have a new tenant (who should have paid a deposit), then the leaving tenant is due their deposit back.

The person who left should immediately lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

There are no grounds to withhold returning the deposit.

• Advertisement

The letter was sent a week ago saying that it had to be given back by Monday (tomorrow). But the head housemate is of to Italy Tuesday night/ Wednesday Morning and won't be back for three and half weeks. The letter says if the money is not returned by 3pm then a court date will be issued. How long does these usually take to go to court ? And if it goes to court does that mean the head housemate can turn around to the rest of us and go hand over 100 each to pay the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Where is the money now?

Does the PRTB deal with tenant to tenant issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

What do the rest of your housemates think. Withholding the deposit against everyone else's wishes would be very strange behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did the new tenent pay a deposit, this should have gone straight to your former housemate. Sounds like she make every effort to find a replacement for her self on the lease, including continuing to pay the rent and bills whilst replacment was found.

if she had left and no replacment found, and you had to pay the remainder of the rent till replacement found, then I would fully understand keeping the deposit paid by the new housemate to cover some of your costs. Have done the exact same my self to cover extra expences when housemates left without finding a replacement for a lease.

• Advertisement

the Head housemate has it as per the lease all rent must be transferred through one person only i.e her. So he transferred the deposit back to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

The letter was sent a week ago saying that it had to be given back by Monday (tomorrow). But the head housemate is of to Italy Tuesday night/ Wednesday Morning and won't be back for three and half weeks. The letter says if the money is not returned by 3pm then a court date will be issued. How long does these usually take to go to court ? And if it goes to court does that mean the head housemate can turn around to the rest of us and go hand over 100 each to pay the girl.

Who has the money ?? Housemate or landlord ??

Who made this socalled head housemate spokesperson for all the tennants ??

Did the new housemate pay a deposit ??

Paulw wrote: »
    The deposit should be returned in full. If you have a new tenant (who should have paid a deposit), then the leaving tenant is due their deposit back.

The person who left should immediately lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

There are no grounds to withhold returning the deposit.

The PRTB isnt much use unless it is the landlord holding the deposit. I think the case here is new person gave the tenant in charge the deposit so unless the tenant in charge gave it to the LL theres not much the BRTB can do about it.

Still had a week to get it done. In my opinion the rest of you should not have to pay anything, the head housemate has the money (assuming she did not hand this to the landlord) so she would have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

I think you have to tell the landlord that you think the 'head' housemate has stolen the money, no way around it. What happened to the month that the new housemate handed over? Has she proof of who took it? Or that she paid it.

the other housemates are appalled and the poor girl that took over is having panic attacks cause she didn't do anything wrong. we all though it was fine until the letters and next thing we know she is going on holiday.

So do I just report her to the PRTB and look proactive in case it does go to court?
    Of course I will say this to her first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

The PRTB isnt much use unless it is the landlord holding the deposit. I think the case here is new person gave the tenant in charge the deposit so unless the tenant in charge gave it to the LL theres not much the BRTB can do about it.

Still had a week to get it done. In my opinion the rest of you should not have to pay anything, the head housemate has the money (assuming she did not hand this to the landlord) so she would have to pay.
    If you and the rest of the tenants are sure that the 'head' tenant received the deposit then the rest of ye could short the rent for next month to the value of the deposit. The 'head' tenant would have to make up the difference with the money she has already received. Ye guys give the funds taken from rent to the old tenant. Problem solved:cool:

The landlord refuses to get involved as it is a tenant issue and nothing to do with him.

So as the head housemate has the money we basically have to wait till court as she refuses to hand it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you and the rest of the tenants are sure that the 'head' tenant received the deposit then the rest of ye could short the rent for next month to the value of the deposit. The 'head' tenant would have to make up the difference with the money she has already received. Ye guys give the funds taken from rent to the old tenant. Problem solved:cool:

To be honest, I'd be in favour of this.

In saying that, if the lease states that had housemate handles all the money, chances are she will be the one that answers in court

I just thought of this, write a letter from the other tenants stating that the former tenants has left owing no money, the new tenant has paid a deposit to cover her share therefor the former tenant should receive their share of the deposit back. Have all the other tenants sign it, send it to the tenant in charge of the deposit and to the previous tenant. Try and get her to not pursue the rest of you as you technically owe her no money.

It really depends on how long it takes to got to court for that to work, as our rent is due at the beginning of the month, so just payed and since she is away we all advanced next month rent as well(We have that in writing don't worry about that). So that is 2 months so is there any point.

• Advertisement

Would we have to get a letter like that drawn up by a lawyer to make it stick?

Would we have to get a letter like that drawn up by a lawyer to make it stick?

Nah, just have it to prove that if you all did go to court that it is 1 person who owes the money and is not paying it despite the others saying she should. It would work in your favour if you ended up in court or the previous tenant may just leave you out of it as there is nothing to gain.

I am just getting really annoyed the girl who just moved is so panicked (her first year away from home) she is leaving but is petrified to tell the head housemate in case the same thing happens to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

You guys need to challenge the house mate on what's going on this isn't normal behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Change the locks when she's in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Are all tenants listed on the lease? If so, then the landlord can't absolve himself of all responsibility by deligating financial responsibility to a single tenant. All deposits should be held by the landlord. The fact that a "head tenant" is holding the money is not a reason to not take a case to the PRTB. There was a valid tenancy.

Sounds like this "head tenant" is claiming the money for themselves. No wonder she can go on a holiday. The person who left definitely has a claim and should get a full and total refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

So the head tenant has money belonging to the former tenant and refusing to give it to them. I believe this would be theft so get the guards involved. When the guard has a word with the head tenant then I bet it won't be long before they return the money to the former tenant.

I just checked with the girl that moved in, the a deposit was taken from her but the landlord just gave it to the head girl and told her to give her to the girl that moved. So he never actually held the deposit in his account, so I don't think I can report him for that.

He doesn't care because he is getting the rent every month and has the total deposit amount.

I didn't think the guards cared amount this type of thing, surly they will just say that you need to sort this out in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I just checked with the girl that moved in, the a deposit was taken from her but the landlord just gave it to the head girl and told her to give her to the girl that moved. So he never actually held the deposit in his account, so I don't think I can report him for that.

He doesn't care because he is getting the rent every month and has the total deposit amount.

What reason has she given for not returning the girls money ??

Is she subsidising her holiday with this girls money and maybe your months rent ??

• Advertisement

the reason was that the girl lived in the house and didn't think it was fair that the girl moved hence leaving us liable for the final year she said that if we lose money at the end we need something to reimburse ourselves with (me and my fellow roommates think this insane). I tried to explain to her that this is a different lease so you cannot blame her for things that happen when the lease is changed i.e when she is not here. This is her excuse now but this has changed twice in the last couple days and It will probably change again to fit the situation.

we have it in writing from the LL that he won't charge us for next month as it is already payed. I don't think it would be too clever to piss the rest of us off as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement