Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2014 - Mod Warning post #6893

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eh? have you read the thread?

Seems to me loads of posters here don't care that he's actually bitten a fellow player - they're just worried about where he'll been playing next season or if his value has dropped.

I don't get it...you quote a post asking you to list people defending him, and then just quote a whole bunch of posts which aren't defending him. He's nobody here's son, or brother, or father. He's a footballer. He hasn't stabbed anyone, or raped anyone, or even punched anyone. He hasn't put a cigar out in someone's eye, or squeezed another guys nuts to the point where they're in tears. He hasn't even demanded the music be changed in the disco. He has this really weird reaction where he nibbles on people in moments of extreme frustration - not enough to break the skin, mind. Maybe we're not under-reacting, maybe you're overreacting.

You seem upset that people aren't as concerned as you are about this supposed menace to society, and it almost seems as if you're trying to convey this from the point of view of his own good, but you say that he should be banned from his career for 3 years (which is fucking insane frankly!). I don't see how that helps this mental problem you've labeled him with.

Honestly, I think maybe you need to just relax a little, calm down, and get a little perspective on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

psychology a bite is a lot worse than most of the things you've mentioned, also the player will most likely have to wait months for the results of a blood test to see whether he has caught any diseases such as aids and the like. I'd imagine it will a very stressful time for the player and his family.

I think a minimum 6 month to a year ban from all soccer would be appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He needs to be banned from all international football and transfer activity for the next three to five years. That'll teach him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Oranage2 wrote: »
    psychology a bite is a lot worse than most of the things you've mentioned, also the player will most likely have to wait months for the results of a blood test to see whether he has caught any diseases such as aids and the like. I'd imagine it will a very stressful time for the player and his family.

Have you ever called into the Joe Duffy show by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Lol Rebel man. That post is the most ridiculous thing I think Ive ever read on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Never mind aids, what if The Count of Montevideo has given him the dark gift!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Have they ever done it for violent conduct?

Not Fifa directly. But Navarro of Valencia got 6 months ban from uefa for violent conduct in a CL game. They appealed to Fifa to make it not just European competition but all club football and won.

As Navarro wasn't an international I don't know how it would have affected that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Apparently Suarez bit an Italian player last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Not Fifa directly. But Navarro of Valencia got 6 months ban from uefa for violent conduct in a CL game. They appealed to Fifa to make it not just European competition but all club football and won.

As Navarro wasn't an international I don't know how it would have affected that.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/0321/sport/fifa-extends-ban-on-valenciaaposs-navarro-for-sparking-pitch-battle-28362.html
    FIFA have extended Valencia defender David Navarro’s seven-month ban for his part in the brawl that marred his side’s Champions League encounter with Inter Milan on March 6 to include all domestic and international matches.

Navarro was hit with the lengthy suspension after sparking the ugly scenes that followed the last 16 tie at the Mestalla by throwing a punch that broke the nose of Inter’s Nicolas Burdisso.

The original ban only covered European fixtures, but FIFA have now granted a UEFA request to increase the punishment to a ban at all levels.

UEFA also confirmed Valencia and Inter have lodged appeals against the punishments meted out after the brawl, to be heard on March 28.

so FIFA can ban across competions and for a time period and not matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I think he should be put in a rocket and sent to the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

No he doesn't have to wait 6 months to get results of tests

firstly it doesnt look like the skin was broken and secondly if it was it would take blood test from suarez to clear up if there was a risk of decease which id imagine is tested regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

BBC reporting that Liverpool FC are holding a special meeting today about Suarez future after the "bite" yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    BBC reporting that Liverpool FC are holding a special meeting today about Suarez future after the "bite" yesterday.

I should bloody think so. We have to consider what it means to have a player with such a bad reputation at the club. Pros and cons...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Liverpool should sell him. I'd say the hierarchy at the club are legitimately considering it for the first time.

Even if he does score goals, he is an embarrassment to the club. This is the third time he has bitten somebody, he's been accused of racism, and he's frequently highlighted as a diver.

If they can sell him for 50-60 million, they would be mad not to cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

The conclusion being that Suarez will stay. He will be on a lead when not playing. When playing, warrior will manufacture a humane muzzle, that will not affect his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Why is the word bite in inverted commas there, as if you still don't actually think he did bite the player.

Have you not seen the incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FFS. Ridiculous post. One bite and he has Aids.

So Suarez could have AIDS now. How did the top level club and international medics miss that?
    I'd say he got it off Sterling as he's a known player in Liverpool and I don't mean football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

That's just to decide on the colour of the T shirts the squad will wear in pre-season training!!

Seriously though, I'm sickened by yesterday's events. I've already explained to my 7 year old why he can't wear his Suarez Jersey today. I can't condone the biting in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So...do I even want to read over this thread since yesterday's game?

Utd fan telling me what a disgrace Suarez is, what a racist, not fit to wear the Liverpool jersey etc etc.

Absolutely refused to consider the siutation in the same vein as Cantona assualting an innocent fan, Keane attempting to end a player's a career and Giggs sleeping with his brother's wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why is the word bite in inverted commas there, as if you still don't actually think he did bite the player.

Have you not seen the incident?

I've seen it. But I put it into inverted commas because I didn't know the official line on it. So I left it to interpretation. I personally think he lost the rag again and bit another player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

murpho999 wrote: »
    FFS. Ridiculous post. One bite and he has Aids.

So Suarez could have AIDS now. How did the top level club and international medics miss that?
    I'd say he got it off Sterling as he's a known player in Liverpool and I don't mean football.

Must be because he raped so many teams last season, it's the only logical conclusion.

Assume a Fifa ban would be for club games as well?

He is going to miss nearly half a season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

noodler wrote: »

Utd fan telling me what a disgrace Suarez is, what a racist, not fit to wear the Liverpool jersey etc etc.

Absolutely refused to consider the siutation in the same vein as Cantona assualting an innocent fan, Keane attempting to end a player's a career and Giggs sleeping with his brother's wife.

I wouldn't bother tbf. And It has been mostly Manc's having the biggest outcry about it again, not much else for them to shout about though.

• Dickerty wrote: »
    I should bloody think so. We have to consider what it means to have a player with such a bad reputation at the club. Pros and cons...

The media are going to try even more to drive him out anyway, so it's only going to add to his current mental state.

Players can always be replaced, a certain few seem to be nearly putting this player in front of the club from the sounds of it. Get your big pay day now and cash in. At least from your perspective he would be going to a European club and not rivals.

I think that would outweigh any quarrels about keeping such a flawed player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Not a Pool fan. Suarez has to get a lengthy international ban. Not sure his club should suffer for something he did on international duty. The hyperbole from other clubs supporters is just a hope that a 2 yr ban from all football arises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Phil Thompson was on Newstalk and said that the word he had was that the Sanchez deal was done, but that this might be pushed on to a deal for Suarez.

If Suarez laves for anything less than 60m then we can forget about qualifying for the CL again next year.

Hell, even if he does leave for 60m.

We either sell him for top dollar or keep him.

Football can be fairly toxic these days and I don't see why we should cut off our nose to spite our face just to pacify the indignant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The hyperbole from other clubs supporters is just a hope that a 2 yr ban from all football arises.

In a nutshell.

I find the whole thing quite funny at this stage:)

Football can be fairly toxic these days and I don't see why we should cut off our nose to spite our face just to pacify the indignant.

Especially when the indignant will always find some target for their faux outrage if they so desire.

• noodler wrote: »
    If Suarez laves for anything less than 60m then we can forget about qualifying for the CL again next year.

Hell, even if he does leave for 60m.

We either sell him for top dollar or keep him.

That's just negative thinking / player dependency. Pains me to say this but in all honesty you still have a great chance at qualifying for next year without him.

Also it all depends on who you get in to replace him, Sanchez above would be a great signing for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sanchez would go a long way to softening the blow. It could well be the club decides it has had enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

The conclusion being that Suarez will stay. He will be on a lead when not playing. When playing, warrior will manufacture a humane muzzle, that will not affect his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

As a Man U fan I'd have to agree with this.

I don't like ranking one physical assault over another, because they're all unacceptable, but it's hard to imagine a worse case than Cantona's. It still makes for shocking viewing.

I'd say the same about Keane. Some (though not all) Man U fans regularly look back on that moment with glee, relishing in Keane's tough-guy persona. In reality it was the worst moment of Keane's club career, and is one of the most cynical tackles in Premier League history. Contemptible behaviour from the Cork man.

However, I'd disagree with you about Giggs. Fair enough, his private life has revealed him to be a disgusting individual. But it's his private life. There's no comparison with the Suarez, Keane and Cantona incidents. A player's private life can interfere with his duties at the club, but I'd argue that that did not happen here.

One final thing: Suarez isn't fit enough to wear the Liverpool jersey. You're taking that as a criticism, and perhaps it is when some people say it. But I mean it as a compliment. He has bitten three different players, he has been convicted of using racist language and he's regularly accused of diving and playacting. To me, that does not sound like a Liverpool player.

I understand you don't want to lose the best striker in the world, but you should want your club to hold itself to a higher standard. This man doesn't deserve to wear the famous red of Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Well after having the night to sleep on it.....I still don't care. The worst thing about it was that it took attention away from the best footballing nation on the planet being knocked out of the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The worst thing about it was that it took attention away from the best footballing nation on the planet being knocked out of the World Cup.

I'm not sure if you are referring to Italy here but I doubt anybody would call them the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sick.

Shocked.

Saddened.

Disappointed.

Disgusted.

Not sure where this leaves us to be honest....perhaps, in hindsight, it's easy to say we should have seen it coming.

But, I guess it's human nature to always try to see the best in people and hope they won't thrown away the opportunities that life gives them :(

Hopefully everyone learns their lesson this time and the Soccer forum is never opened up again to the masses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure if you are referring to Italy here but I doubt anybody would call them the best.

No the sarcasm is strong in this one. He meant England.:D

You should take a look at any thread that mentions any Italian player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I still don't want the club to sell him. He's still our best hope in challenging for the premiership next season and if he goes we will be lucky to scrape 4th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

K-9 wrote: »
    Sanchez would go a long way to softening the blow. It could well be the club decides it has had enough.

Well I hope FIFA decide his fate quickly and any possible appeal is as swift, so that we can get on with the process of either selling or keeping him. If it's a 3 month ban, let's say, I don't see that affecting him being of interest to Barca or Real, would be back available only 3/4 weeks into the season, and will be chomping at the bit. :D

I just realised, that Smiley looks like him!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Different angle

phdzcy1.gif

I still don't want the club to sell him. He's still our bet hope in challenging for the premiership next season and if he goes we will be lucky to scrape 4th place.

The problem we have now is that it's getting increasingly difficult to trust him. Could we rule out this happening a 4th time? 5th?

No is surely the answer, and the more something like this happens, the bigger the bans get and the more his value decreases. Some major decisions are going to have to be made in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Match-fixing and doping are a far cry from violent conduct, which is all this incident was.

Cheating and deception vs. going psycho in a moment of madness.

Violent conduct is all this incident was, so now violent conduct is defacto acceptable.

Just when I thought the comedy level couldn't get any higher bozinga there it is.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    But, I guess it's human nature to always try to see the best in people and hope they won't thrown away the success they can bring you. :(

I fixed that for you.

Violent conduct is all this incident was, so now violent conduct is defacto acceptable.

Just when I thought the comedy level couldn't get any higher bozinga there it is.

Just call us The Special Humorous Ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I fixed that for you.

Not sure if you did really Clyde tbh but nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What an Idiot. I can't belive he's done it again. And as someone said last night it wasnt as if Chiellini had just elbowed him or anything. Probably niggled at all game and just snapped...again. I dunno what to do with him. Dont want to get rid but his conduct is deplorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Robbie Savage: "Liverpool are not going to sack Luis Suarez over this. But if they want to sell him, then his price tag might go up if he does get an international ban.
    "If he cannot play for Uruguay in qualifiers or at major tournaments, then Real or Barca might think he is not going to be travelling around the world and he is going to be fit and healthy for every domestic game."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

FIFA are a self promoting and self preserving entity. Suarez is one of the worlds greatest footballers. FIFA will want to be seen to do the right thing but if they behave like they have in the past they will come up with some sort of meaningless fudge e.g. hold an enquiry tomorrow which issues a ban for 6 months from international football but give him 14 days to appeal (which allows him to play up to and including the WC Quarter Finals if Uruguay get there. If Suarez lodges his appeal on the 14th day (July 10th) they will then have to convene an appeal hearing and allow him to put his case all of which will take proceedings past the WC final on July 13th. Assuming his appeal is rejected he will then start a relatively meaningless 6 month ban form international football which will see him back playing for Uruguay in the middle oj January.

I'm not saying this is the correct way to handle things but I doubt FIFA will do anything to harm the career of one of their stars. Imagine the TV audience for Uruguay's remaining matches if he's allowed to play???

Ben

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Not sure if you did really Clyde tbh but nevermind

I'm only pulling your leg. I agree with you. You have to put your trust in people when you think they can redeem themselves. The sad thing here is that Suarez did redeem himself, and now he's thrown it away. He's let down his country and he's put his club in an awkward situation. You know I kind of feel sorry for him in a way. He's obviously got some deep-rooted issues that need to be resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement