Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2014 - Mod Warning post #6893

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

BenThere wrote: »
    FIFA are a self promoting and self preserving entity. Suarez is one of the worlds greatest footballers. FIFA will want to be seen to do the right thing but if they behave like they have in the past they will come up with some sort of meaningless fudge e.g. hold an enquiry tomorrow which issues a ban for 6 months from international football but give him 14 days to appeal (which allows him to play up to and including the WC Quarter Finals if Uruguay get there. If Suarez lodges his appeal on the 14th day (July 10th) they will then have to convene an appeal hearing and allow him to put his case all of which will take proceedings past the WC final on July 13th. Assuming his appeal is rejected he will then start a relatively meaningless 6 month ban form international football which will see him back playing for Uruguay in the middle oj January.

I'm not saying this is the correct way to handle things but I doubt FIFA will do anything to harm the career of one of their stars. Imagine the TV audience for Uruguay's remaining matches if he's allowed to play???

Ben

RTE website says this morning that FIFA are giving Suarez and Uruguay until 9pm this evening to outline their position.

The way I see it now he has only one option. Come out with a grovelling statement about how sorry he is and that it was just in the heat of the action and maybe how he's been working on this.

If the apology is sufficiently humble, FIFA will keep the ban down and only to international matches.

However, I think Liverpool may need to take action too and ban him for a number of games for this.

I see Suarez being unhappy with this treatment which may leave time for him to move abroad before the end of the transfer window when he's out of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA just gave him the standard violent conduct ban and made no further comment on it. It would send him home from the World Cup, which satisfies all parties in the short-term, and it would also remove themselves from the burden of having to decide conclusively if it was a bite, as a lengthy appeal from Uruguay (on the basis that there's no definitive, conclusive picture) would be a possibility if a longer ban was meted.

8 games is the longest World Cup ban, and that was for an elbow off the ball that broke someone's nose. You can debate about how a bite is just as much of an act of violence, or that it's relatively harmless given nobody was in danger. I'm not sure which side I come down on. I just think it's incredibly strange that he seems to have this compulsion to bite people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

FIFA Charge Suarez

Would the 24 month ban include Domestic & Champions League or just games for Uruguay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Uruguay and Suarez even remotely try and defend this, they're idiots.

Genuinely hope they do the only right thing that they can do in this situation, and apologies for the whole lot and accept what's coming to them.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Vicxas wrote: »
    FIFA Charge Suarez

Would the 24 month ban include Domestic & Champions League or just games for Uruguay?

a couple of points...

It wont be 2yrs.

Its highly unlikely it would involve a domestic ban, but a precedent could be set here.

I am guessing he will get kicked out of the World Cup and his ban will include the Copa America next summer which Uruguay are defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/06/suarez-bites-man-think-words-write/

This is exactly how I feel on Suarez and the incident last night. Neil from the Anfield Wrap nailing it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

FIFA Charge Suarez

Don't be silly, they would never ban him for that long, even for only International games. They are over ALL of football, how could they?

I suspect a ban of about 15 competitive games for all competitions. So here's hoping Uruguay make the final, and maybe our summer tournament in the US can count??

NEDDURC wrote: »
    RTE website says this morning that FIFA are giving Suarez and Uruguay until 9pm this evening to outline their position.

The way I see it now he has only one option. Come out with a grovelling statement about how sorry he is and that it was just in the heat of the action and maybe how he's been working on this.

If the apology is sufficiently humble, FIFA will keep the ban down and only to international matches.

However, I think Liverpool may need to take action too and ban him for a number of games for this.

I see Suarez being unhappy with this treatment which may leave time for him to move abroad before the end of the transfer window when he's out of the team.

"I bit someone while representing my country in a World Cup, but I'm unhappy with how FIFA have treated me, so I want to leave Liverpool."

Nope. Not seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

FIFA can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the player Luis Suarez of Uruguay

:mad:

Proceedings have been opened does not equal charged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone given a thought to the family of Suarez, the man has reduced his nations chances by about 50% I'd say, they must wish the ground could open up instead of having 3.5 million people pointing their fingers at him. Not to mention what his wife and daughter must be thinking "why does daddy bit people" is not the sort of question that's easily explained to an adult never mind a 4 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sappy404 wrote: »
    "I bit someone while representing my country in a World Cup, but I'm unhappy with how FIFA have treated me, so I want to leave Liverpool."

Nope. Not seeing it.

I think he means unhappy with the treatment if Liverpool decided to ban him themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Is there only 1 camera angle of the "alleged bite"?

Seems strange that there are so many cameras and for penalty decisions you see multiple views/angles from different cameras

This is exactly how I feel on Suarez and the incident last night. Neil from the Anfield Wrap nailing it here.

Yeah, good article. Think a lot of what has been said on here is covered in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

He is going to get that same treatment from the media no matter where he plays now, in fact the only country where he wont be treated like that is Uruguay. He didn't do this on the domestic stage and this is where his problem is now. He did it at the biggest stage in any footballers career.

So he can expect this treatment everywhere. Say he signs for Barca, then the Madrid press will play up to it and vice-versa.

Not to mention anything that happens in European competition ...say whoever he plays for get Juve (or any Italian team) in CL the Italian press will have a field day. He better get used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'I guess if you cry wolf enough times one will finally turn up and bite you.' :D

Sappy404 wrote: »

Nope. Not seeing it.

I didn't say that. I said that Liverpool will be under pressure to implement some sort of disciplinary action and that Suarez will start to feel that the English media are against him.

This has already started as Uruguay papers are saying english media are out to get him.

As many people are saying there is a good chance that FIFA will bottle this abit and give a fairly meaningless ban. I think then Liverpool will need to take a stance to show that they are not happy with Suarez. This could lead to him being unhappy and leaving. We all know that he'd love to go to Barca so any excuse would suit him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Proceedings have been opened does not equal charged!

Well consider me notified then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How embarrassing for Liverpool fans to even try to defend this.
    You'll never walk alone Louis Suarez! lol by this thread.

And it was a club that I actually respected.

I love that we're constantly being "reviewed" as a group by other fans, in this thread. It's gas. It's a classic sign of people with low intelligence, to speak to, or about a large section of people based on the opinions of some, despite them being shown both sides of the fence on here within a few pages.

There was been a handful of people defending it, which actually increased with the reactions from other fans. That's kinda natural in a way, but Jesus, this thread is a struggle to read, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I didn't say that. I said that Liverpool will be under pressure to implement some sort of disciplinary action and that Suarez will start to feel that the English media are against him.

This has already started as Uruguay papers are saying english media are out to get him.

As many people are saying there is a good chance that FIFA will bottle this abit and give a fairly meaningless ban. I think then Liverpool will need to take a stance to show that they are not happy with Suarez. This could lead to him being unhappy and leaving. We all know that he'd love to go to Barca so any excuse would suit him I think.

If he gets a ban from international football why do Liverpool have to do anything?? Not up to the club to discipline him for a transgression which affects his international team.

Only time that Liverpool have to react is if any ban impacts on the club, i.e a ban from football at all levels

mike65 wrote: »
    Has anyone given a thought to the family of Suarez, the man has reduced his nations chances by about 50% I'd say, they must wish the ground could open up instead of having 3.5 million people pointing their fingers at him. Not to mention what his wife and daughter must be thinking "why does daddy bit people" is not the sort of question that's easily explained to an adult never mind a 4 year old.

I will tell you one thing, and if Suarezs previous statements are to be believed..his wife must be fúcking livid.

not only has he done it again but it looks like he could well have fecked up the dream move to her family in Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I cannot see a scenario where Liverpool will discipline him for something that happened in an international game. But I can certainly see a scenario where Brendan Rodgers realises that Suarez cannot be trusted on a football pitch, and flogs him. I am a Pool fan and he's a truly world class player that I'd love to be able to keep for the rest of his career, but he's got to go now, for the good of Liverpool FC. How long before he does something stupid again in a red shirt and gets a 2 year club ban? If that happens, he wont be worth anything.

'Cannot be trusted.'

'Has to go for the good of Liverpool FC.'

'How long before he gets a 2 year ban.'

This stuff is hilarious.

Fair enough. I doubt Liverpool will take any disciplinary action though. He was representing his country and he'll be punished by the relevant authorities. They might suspend his wages if the ban covers domestic football - which I would say is very unlikely - but that's it.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    'Cannot be trusted.'

This stuff is hilarious.

I am loving the ones about John W and how he and the FSG boys must 'get rid of him' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I cant believe that so many posters are ignorant to the damage this does to Liverpool Football Club...again!

I'm tired of this individual disrespecting this club. Kenny backed him to the last and he got the bullet, Rodgers has done the same. How long will Rodgers put up with been made a fool of by Suarez? How long will LFC put up with it?

He cant be trusted, what good is it building a team around a player who could miss 10 games a season through suspension.

Everyone always preaches no one player is bigger than the club. This has certainly become the case with Luis Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

'Cannot be trusted.'

This stuff is hilarious.

Its a very valid opinion to have. This is the second time he has done this as a Liverpool player, albeit playing for Uruguay yesterday. I'm sure the club wont be seeing much hilarity in all this today, and there is only one person to blame for that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Liverpool couldn't sell Suarez to another Club in good faith, knowing that he's pretty much Hitler reincarnated. A Club of such strong morals, evidently recognised by all fans, could never do such a thing.

In order to prevent Suarez from tarnishing the good jersey of other Clubs, pillars of the community and moralistic strongholds, such as United, Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG, and Barcelona, we will have to embrace martyrdom and keep Suarez as our own.

Further sacrifice the good name and jersey of Liverpool Football Club, in order to prevent this malevolent man from ever doing the same to another Club.

This is the cross we shall bear. I harbour small hope that our valiant and selfless actions are appreciated in time.

'Cannot be trusted.'

This stuff is hilarious.

Just out of interest, what part of these opinions do you find so funny?

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I cannot see a scenario where Liverpool will discipline him for something that happened in an international game. But I can certainly see a scenario where Brendan Rodgers realises that Suarez cannot be trusted on a football pitch, and flogs him. I am a Pool fan and he's a truly world class player that I'd love to be able to keep for the rest of his career, but he's got to go now, for the good of Liverpool FC. How long before he does something stupid again in a red shirt and gets a 2 year club ban? If that happens, he wont be worth anything.

If you remember after the Evra issues. Daglish stuck by Suarez strongly only for the club to come out of it looking abit silly.

After the Ivanovic bite there was a completely different response. Rodgers siad that nobody is above the club and Liverpool strongly critised his actions at a time when it looked like we might be pushing him out of the club. The opposite was the case. Suarez took his medicince and came back determined and focused.

I'm not saying I know for certain what will happen but I think the club definitely have an issue here. I think they will probably keep the head down for a day or two to see what way this plays out and what FIFA decide to do. But personally I would let it be know that they too think it's unacceptable and that disciplinary action will be taken (could just be a fine and some sort of therapy!)

• Advertisement

If you remember after the Evra issues. Daglish stuck by Suarez strongly only for the club to come out of it looking abit silly.

After the Ivanovic bite there was a completely different response. Rodgers siad that nobody is above the club and Liverpool strongly critised his actions at a time when it looked like we might be pushing him out of the club. The opposite was the case. Suarez took his medicince and came back determined and focused.

I'm not saying I know for certain what will happen but I think the club definitely have an issue here. I think they will probably keep the head down for a day or two to see what way this plays out and what FIFA decide to do. But personally I would let it be know that they too think it's unacceptable and that disciplinary action will be taken (could just be a fine and some sort of therapy!)

Possibly, but the difference here is that he's done this in an international game so they'd find it hard to be able to justify fining him, I'd say. But he clearly needs therapy. He's a raving lunatic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He is essentially a Liverpool player on loan to Uruguay to fulfil his international duties. That is my problem no one will give a ****e he did it with Uruguay all you will hear about is Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I used to think the biting thing was much more clever than it seemed, when both times we've seen it was when he was angling for a move. And even now, driving down a price, so we sell him came to mind, but no, there's no way he'd throw away his World Cup for that. He's definitely a mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

United fan here, what a nightmare for ye, brought my nephew to the Norwich match last year, stood in the KOP and was well impressed by the passion of the fans, and like it or not Suarez is everything to Liverpool, the way he rehabilitated himself after the last bite, nearly leading Liverpool to this years League. The home win against City must seem very far away now.
    Even if he gets away with just an international ban he's a time bomb waiting to happen and could transgress at any time again.
    The big question you must ask yourselves is Why? The whole thing makes no sense Rogers has a massive task on for next year no matter what the outcome.

rob316 wrote: »
    I cant believe that so many posters are ignorant to the damage this does to Liverpool Football Club...again!

I'm tired of this individual disrespecting this club. Kenny backed him to the last and he got the bullet, Rodgers has done the same. How long will Rodgers put up with been made a fool of by Suarez? How long will LFC put up with it?

He cant be trusted, what good is it building a team around a player who could miss 10 games a season through suspension.

Everyone always preaches no one player is bigger than the club. This has certainly become the case with Luis Suarez.

Sorry, but Liverpool are well within their rights to say this has nothing to do with them. He was representing his country at an international tournament. Liverpool, the FA, and the Premier League are not responsible for any fallout here. I'm sure the club will put any possible sale of the player into a different context now, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is actually the issue that may cook Suarez goose -
    Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

How do we think Rodgers feels this morning having spent much of last summer dealing with him and listening to him trying to get inside his head so he doesn't do it again and then he does do it again. Same for the owners, they might be wondering if too much time and energy is being spent on one very high maintenance "asset" of considerable but risky value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mike65 wrote: »

Someone think of the children.

There really is no point trying to rationalise Suarez's actions and speculating, "Why?".

Aside from the apparent, that his will to win is all consuming and fear of failure must be something that we cannot relate to (even this doesn't come close to excusing what he does), the fact of the matter is, he's mental.

Shake him and he'd rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

PropJoe10 wrote: »

When he was disciplined in the PL he was still able to play for Uruguay.
    The ban was only in England.

FIFA will probably ban him from international competitions with his country which should have no affect on him playing for Liverpool.

FIFA do have the power to ban someone from all football related activity in which case it does impact on Liverpool.

Just see recent example of Franz Beckenbauer who was provisionally banned from taking part in any football-related activity, at any level, for 90 days.

And Mohamed Bin Hammam of course was banned for life.
    I think Paolo Rossi was banned form all football for 3 years, shortened to 2 so that he eventually could win Italy the WC.

The bigger affect this has for Liverpool is his resale value.
    Barca will not want to touch him and the rest will also be wary.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As a Man U fan I'd have to agree with this.

I don't like ranking one physical assault over another, because they're all unacceptable, but it's hard to imagine a worse case than Cantona's. It still makes for shocking viewing.

I'd say the same about Keane. Some (though not all) Man U fans regularly look back on that moment with glee, relishing in Keane's tough-guy persona. In reality it was the worst moment of Keane's club career, and is one of the most cynical tackles in Premier League history. Contemptible behaviour from the Cork man.

However, I'd disagree with you about Giggs. Fair enough, his private life has revealed him to be a disgusting individual. But it's his private life. There's no comparison with the Suarez, Keane and Cantona incidents. A player's private life can interfere with his duties at the club, but I'd argue that that did not happen here.

One final thing: Suarez isn't fit enough to wear the Liverpool jersey. You're taking that as a criticism, and perhaps it is when some people say it. But I mean it as a compliment. He has bitten three different players, he has been convicted of using racist language and he's regularly accused of diving and playacting. To me, that does not sound like a Liverpool player.

I understand you don't want to lose the best striker in the world, but you should want your club to hold itself to a higher standard. This man doesn't deserve to wear the famous red of Liverpool FC.

Its difficult to make those who criticise have some perspective without appearing to be defending the incident.

Just to reiterate, I can't defend the incident. But Utd fans didn't enmasse scream that Keane is not being fit to wear the Jersey after the Haaland incident (or numeous other red cards) or after Cantona assualted a fan. Do these incidents sound befitting of players who wear the Man U jersey?

Thats all I am saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Suarez is no different to Rooney or Roy Keane. He snaps and does something violent. He just happens to resort to biting people instead of stamping, kicking or elbowing. The difference is probably that he just grew up in an environment that made biting as acceptable as punching etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I hope Rodgers rings him today and has a word with him....

Grayditch wrote: »
    I used to think the biting thing was much more clever than it seemed, when both times we've seen it was when he was angling for a move. And even now, driving down a price, so we sell him came to mind, but no, there's no way he'd throw away his World Cup for that. He's definitely a mental.

It's probably cost him hundreds of thousands of pounds in sponsorship/endorsement money as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Vinne Jones should have been banned very early in his career, filthy player.

Keane was never a dirty player, only that one time. He justified it by what Haaland said to him while Keane was lying down seriously injured. I wouldn't agree on Keane's actions, but at least there was a reason. It was a discussing tackle by Keane and he should have a got a six month ban from all football activity IMO.

Luis Suarez on the other hand comes across as if he's got serious mental imbalance issues, but no Liverpool supporter on this thread seems to acknowledge this. It's all about the league next season(will he stay etc.) or how much money they will get for him.

I always thought the mantra was - "You'll never walk alone"? Guess it isn't.
    :confused:

:D

Fieldog wrote: »
    I hope Rodgers rings him today and has a word with him....

I think you are right here. I think someone from Liverpool should suggest to him that he needs to be super humble now and hope for the best. Even help draft his statement to FIFA.

I'd be worried that Uruguay may take an agressive approach here that will turn out badly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

There are currently at least 3 different threads now discussing Suarez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I said that Liverpool will be under pressure to implement some sort of disciplinary action

Why should LFC discipline Suarez over this? Is there a single example in world football where a player breaks the rules representing his country and is then punished by his club?

This is LFC and our motto is YNWA. Louis broke the rules and FIFA/Uruguay should punish him accordingly. LFC should not punish him they should help him. This biting business can no longer be considered a once off "moment of madness". There is a psychological issue here. He doesn't know and/or respect the line between win at all costs and unacceptable behaviour. It's possible he has some sort of mental illness/condition. He needs help and LFC should facilitate that help. He shouldn't have to walk alone. The club and its fans should stand by him just as you would stand by any player who had an injury or illness.

Things Suarez didn't do:-

1. He didn't go out to intentionally break a fellow professional footballers leg because you didn't like a comment he made to you in a previous match - Roy Keane admitted violent intent in his biography. "I'd waited long enough. I f*****g hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you c**t.
    'And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries. Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, f*** him." Not a moment of madness but premeditated violence. Ask Giorgio Chiellini if he had a choice between having pre mediated violence inflicted on him by a skin head Roy Kean or a bite from Louis Suarez which would her prefer?

2. He didn't jump into the crowd and assault a member of the public - Eric Cantonna

3. He didn't conveniently "forget" to do a urine test for banned substances including cocaine - Rio Ferdinand.

What Suarez did yesterday and twice previously is totally unacceptable and I don't know a single LFC fan who condones it or makes excuses for it but when fans of other clubs get on their high horse and use it as a stick to beat LFC with perhaps they should realise that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Is there a possibility that Suarez appeals whatever ban is given to him and continues to play in the World Cup?
    It's feasible that Uruguay officials/Management Team suggest appealing so that he is available for the rest of the World Cup. If it happened it could turn into a circus.

I hope Brendan Rodgers does speak to him and advises him to issue a grovelling apology and that he'll take whatever punishment is dished out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

taidghbaby wrote: »

Its better than work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He let down himself.

If he scores 30 goals next season I'll not care less that he bit an Italian.

* Insert winning trophies here *

taidghbaby wrote: »

With the same "football" fans contributing to all of them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement