Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spilled liquid on laptop, keyboard now acting weird!

Options
  • 04-05-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I spilled a couple of mls of thick liquid (e-liquid) on my laptop keyboard last night, I mopped it up within secondsa and I thought was okay as the liquid is pretty thick, there was so little of it and I mopped it up straight away, laptop was working perfectly last night.

Just turned it on there and the keyboard is acting really weird, if I press a key it might not respond, if it does then it might add a letter, a plus sign, a zero etc.

Not sure what to do here I've powered it down, obviously some liquid got in there, I'm just worried about it seeping down to the more important stuff, a keyboard can be replaced pretty easily and cheaply what should I do here? Was thinking of giving it a run over with a hair dryer and then just leaving it for the day? Can anyone give me any advice here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

Hi,

I did the same thing to my Macbook Pro a few months ago, I spilled hot coffee over my keyboard. I turned it off and mopped up but when I rebooted it a while later my keyboard was acting weird. Lots of letters not typing etc. I went on Mac forums and was told that the laptop is screwed (even though the motherboard is booting up the operating system etc.). I expect you will find the same thing with your laptop. I would leave it turned off for a day and put somewhere warm like a hot press/airing cupboard, and then see if it has dried out tomorrow. Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Hi,

I did the same thing to my Macbook Pro a few months ago, I spilled hot coffee over my keyboard. I turned it off and mopped up but when I rebooted it a while later my keyboard was acting weird. Lots of letters not typing etc. I went on Mac forums and was told that the laptop is screwed (even though the motherboard is booting up the operating system etc.). I expect you will find the same thing with your laptop. I would leave it turned off for a day and put somewhere warm like a hot press/airing cupboard, and then see if it has dried out tomorrow. Best of Luck.

I have someone is gonna replace it for me, they said because of the way my specific laptop is built my motherboard should be safe, but that means it will be more expensive to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have someone is gonna replace it for me, they said because of the way my specific laptop is built my motherboard should be safe, but that means it will be more expensive to fix.

I would make sure you get a quote for the repair before you agree to anything though, sometimes it can be so expensive and it might be just better to buy a new one. Best of luck though, I hope you get a good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Whatever you do, make sure you switch it off straight away and take out the battery and don't switch it on again, or let any power through it, untill it's 100% dry, that means leaving it in a warm airing cupboard for at least a week, and you might be lucky, but if any of the liquid managed to short circut and blow any components on the motherboard when the power was running through it, you might need a new motherboard, not a cheap job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

RachelDDD wrote: »
    I would make sure you get a quote for the repair before you agree to anything though, sometimes it can be so expensive and it might be just better to buy a new one. Best of luck though, I hope you get a good result.

Yep I got a quote and all sounds good, it seems to unbeknownst to me my laptop is spill resisant, the person who is going fixing it has worked on a lot of these and has said they have never seen a case yet where liquid has gotten through to the other components.

• Advertisement
Advertisement