Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I do the right thing?

• 04-05-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

About a year ago my dog died. we had her for nearly ten years and she died suddenly. I never got a new dog out of I suppose loyalty and just not wanting to replace her.
    Today I was driving to Dingle and on the way, there was some fair on in a village. I noticed a van opened and there was a Yorkshire Terrier dog in a cage looking pitiful. I inquired about how much he was and the man said he wouldn't sell him for less than €60. Now if it was a dog shelter i would of had no qualms of handing that over but the condition this dog was in was bad. If he didn't have bald patches his hair was matted. Absolutely filthy and his paws looked really sore. I felt so sorry for him but I don't think its right handing money over to someone who clearly wasn't taking care of the dog. Its almost like saying its ok how you're treating him. My question is did I do the right thing not 'buying' the dog off him or should I have just paid him. The dog no doubt will need a lot of veterinary care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Thats a sad story but yes I think you did.

Is it bothering you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think you did. Too many people like this try to tug on people's heart strings - if everyone stopped buying from people like this they'd stop. Is it a regular fair - if so I'd call the ispca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Definitely did the right thing in not buying him as it only encourages more of the same. But maybe you should have rang the ISPCA if you thought the dog was mistreated?

It probably suits them to have the dog look miserable so you'll feel sorry and buy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah... An age-old quandary!
    It's a very difficult situation, and honestly, I would not give money to get a dog out of a bad situation. Whilst of course it releases that dog, you can be absolutely sure there'll be another pathetic little creature being sold by the same fella next week. So, your money just fuels the misery.
    What I have done in the past is to get the guards, or the ISPCA, to intervene... The new Animal Welfare Act gives better powers in relation to this now, to seize an animal in poor nick.
    Now, having said that, I have had to drag guards over to litters of mangey pups in markets just like the one you were at, but drag them I did :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

contact the ispca about this. did you make a note of the registration number of the van as well? maybe get as much info as you can to hand over to the ispca so it can be investigated. if the man in question wont look after a cute little dog like that Yorkshire terrier what is he like with other animals?? poor little doggy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

DBB wrote: »
    Now, having said that, I have had to drag guards over to litters of mangey pups in markets just like the one you were at, but drag them I did :-)

A lot of times, the guards don't even know a law is being broken...!!

OP I think you did the right thing, really tough but the right thing for sure, kudos to you it must have been so difficult

Ah... An age-old quandary!
    It's a very difficult situation, and honestly, I would not give money to get a dog out of a bad situation. Whilst of course it releases that dog, you can be absolutely sure there'll be another pathetic little creature being sold by the same fella next week. So, your money just fuels the misery.
    What I have done in the past is to get the guards, or the ISPCA, to intervene... The new Animal Welfare Act gives better powers in relation to this now, to seize an animal in poor nick.
    Good for ya ;)

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    A lot of times, the guards don't even know a law is being broken...!!

This is a big problem alright, but it helps if you memorize the number of the relevant paragraph in the Act, and perhaps a smart phone to back it up!
    I also took photos of pups, seller and vehicle with reg number, though you do need to be a bit careful that taking photos, even legally, can inflame situations.

This is a big problem alright, but it helps if you memorize the number of the relevant paragraph in the Act, and perhaps a smart phone to back it up!
    I also took photos of pups, seller and vehicle with reg number, though you do need to be a bit careful that taking photos, even legally, can inflame situations.

DBB do you have that to hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

tk123 wrote: »
    I think you did. Too many people like this try to tug on people's heart strings - if everyone stopped buying from people like this they'd stop. Is it a regular fair - if so I'd call the ispca

Feile na bealtaine in dingle this weekend....you did the right thing op...would have headed up to the garda to report 7t though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

You cant save every animal. Buying it wont make the problem go away. Hundreds probably thousands of poor mistreated dogs all over the country that nobody cares about. Sad but true. I think the same when I see homeless beggars, by giving them money I may increase the problem rather than help, where would the money go in all likelihood? Same dilemma you faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Thanks for all the replies. Its bothering me a bit alright. As my OH said that dog isn't the first and wont be the last which is awful to think about. I know I did the right thing in a way, but I still feel guilty for the little fella. He was desperate to get out of that cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I downloaded that piece of legislation and had to hand in the bag ready for just such a scenario - do you think I have it to hand now - too many hand bag changes - agh.

OP you did the right thing it just doesn't feel like it. If you want a dog do the research and get one from a proper source, be it rescue or breeder. No doubt that poor pup will either be bought from a well meaning or even clueless individual and replaced by more and will be replaced shortly by another.
    If the man cant sell the pups he will contact the local rescues as he wont be bothered to pay the pound fees to surrender them.

Maphisto wrote: »
    DBB do you have that to hand?

Gah! At the times I reported these issues, the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1965 forbade the sale of pet animals in a public place.
    However, the new Animal Welfare Act, which repeals the 1965 Act, does not specify this as an offence any more. Section 66 comes close, seemingly preventing the sale of animals in a public place that is not licensed to sell animals, but the types of animals it applies to is not yet specified other than farm livestock.
    Sections 21 and 22 deal with conditions which must be in place where animals are up for sale, whilst S.24 deals with powers of authorised officers (which includes the paid ISPCA inspectorate, and AGS) when faced with an animal in distress, pain or neglect, including getting vet attention, seizure of the animal, dealing with the owner etc.
    There seems to be provision too, for regs to be drafted with regard to the sale of animals, eg they must be traceable (microchipped), and there is also provision for Codes of Practice in relation to lots of animal welfare-related issues (including sales) to be produced, failure to adhere to these has been provided with a scale of fines and punishments.
    I am still way too sketchy on this new Act tbh, I still haven't fully digested it, so excuse the lack of detail!

Advertisement