Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70% cocoa chocolate

Options
  • 04-05-2014 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

Hey
    Tried the lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate yesterday. Then had a piece of the 70% one today. They are rank. im assuming the green and blacks are the same??? Help pleass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's an acquired taste alright. I find 70% plus chocolate much nicer for baking than for eating, but if you like orange and spicy flavours try Green and Black's Maya Gold, or the dark choc with dark cherries of some kind. Yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Very dark chocolate is an acquired taste (although I've always preferred it, even as a child).

It's bitter, and you won't eat bars of it in the same way as you will milk chocolate.

It's much better for you, though (relatively).

What help do you want, if you don't like it then don't eat it maybe?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Exactly what sort of help are you looking for? It seems that you just don't like dark chocolate, so I suggest that you stick to milk chocolate. Alternatively you can get 63-65% milk chocolate, Hotel Chocolat and Bonnat both do some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 galway donegal 1

What help do i want? Just an alternative where i wont scoff the whole bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aldi do a good range of different percentage chocolates in little bars - Moser Roth is the brand. I find their 85% sweeter than say Lindt. Maybe try that.

And maybe start with less extreme percentages and work your way up - as a few of us have said, dark chocolate is an acquired taste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I like Lidl's Bellarom 74% :) Cheap and delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Try Lindt's selection of flavoured dark chocolate - I used to hate dark chocolate but after having some of these I like it quite a lot, sometimes even prefer it. I can eat 70% no bother, although 85% sounds a bit much! I'd recommend trying the sea salt flavoured one, or the blueberry one, but ESPECIALLY the sea salt one, it's sooooooo good!

Green and Blacks do a really nice chili chocolate too (which is how the original Mesoamericans used to eat chocolate!). There's a ginger one as well that I really liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone get a bit of a 'Dark Chocolate blues' the day after?

Currently a fan of Moser Roth Chili and the 85% (Aldi) and various Green & Black's.. (Blood Orange?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmehhh

Green & Blacks 85% is BEAUTIFUL !!!

If you love so much, you can buy it online (bulk) and get it cheap :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just got some of the 81% stuff they have in lidl, jd gross arriba superieur 81

it's so good

sooooo gooooooooood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Don't chew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

it's so good

sooooo gooooooooood

If you want to go off the beaten path, the, 'Polonez' chain of shops stock, E.Wedel Polish chocolates and associated.

The E.Wedel Dark chocolate is %64 minimum and is quite earthy, leaning towards raw cocoa, without being umm.. unfriendly to the palate.

E_Wedel_Dark.jpg

I'm a fan of the various E. Wedel products, but that's for another thread..

pretty sure there's one in carlow. i'll have a look, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Tesco do, or certainly used to do, a Tesco Finest Dominican Republic 85% Cocoa which at times could be found for as little as €1 for a 100g bar which combined with being top top quality, made it close to the best bang for your buck you could get in chocolate in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

The Aldi 85% bar has a normal price of €1.19 for 125g, and is individually wrapped in 25g sections. That's the best value I've found and the one I usually get.

i was big into the aldi one but after trying the lidl bar the aldi is kinda sickeningly sweet even though it's a higher % than the lidl one (85 to 81)

the individually wrapped bars is pretty awesome though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

it's so good

sooooo gooooooooood

Me too, bought it for the first time this week! It's gorgeous.

Try smearing a teaspoon of good peanut butter on a square for a luxurious treat - it's like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, only nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

quaalude wrote: »
    Me too, bought it for the first time this week! It's gorgeous.

Try smearing a teaspoon of good peanut button on a square for a luxurious treat - it's like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, only nice.

Mmm I've done this before too!! It's lovely! :)

Advertisement