Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making my own extension lead- what wire

Options
  • 04-05-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

want to make my own extension lead for the yard. now the yard is fitted with old three round pin 15 amp plugs.

what is the 3 core lead that I am looking for in order to make the extension lead so that I know what im looking for before I go into the shop and don't seem like a right fool.

I have a vague memory of the wire that im looking for being called artic- would that be correct. I am also going to get 2.5 strength.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

mengele wrote: »
    want to make my own extension lead for the yard. now the yard is fitted with old three round pin 15 amp plugs.

what is the 3 core lead that I am looking for in order to make the extension lead so that I know what im looking for before I go into the shop and don't seem like a right fool.

I have a vague memory of the wire that im looking for being called artic- would that be correct. I am also going to get 2.5 strength.
    Arctic blue 3x2.5 mm sq flex is what you're thinking of. White 3x2.5 flex would be quite adequate for your needs. Rated to carry 20 amps. What would you be running off this lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Arctic blue 3x2.5 mm sq flex is what you're thinking of. White 3x2.5 flex would be quite adequate for your needs. Rated to carry 20 amps. What would you be running off this lead?

anything and everything. yes blue artic. is that the same as the white but stronger? would I be as well go with the stronger and it would do me for the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I'm guessing this is a farmyard, not just your backyard?

Bear in mind that despite being called "Artic" it isn't suitable for temperatures below 5C

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/33/arctic-cables.cfm?type=pdf

Also I would be very concerned about the likely absence of any RCD protection on your 15A sockets, (just slightly less concerned about the sockets themselves, you should be using the blue 16A ones, or ideally using 110V equipment)

The length of cable and the amperage of the load are important factors that should be considered before using any lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Arctic cable is rated for temps down to -25c. Wouldnt be heavier I would think. Just holds its flexibility better. Is it worth the extra expense? Electrical wholesaler your best bet. Canbe bought in 100m coils or cut to length. Looks well where white will get visibly dirty with use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mengele wrote: »

2.5 is a waste of money - may end up damaging your drills etc

4.0 + if you can

http://www.industrialextensionleads.co.uk/maximum-extension-lead-length-3-w.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gctest50 wrote: »
    2.5 is a waste of money - may end up damaging your drills etc

4.0 + if you can

Unlikely to damage drills with 2.5 compared to 4 square.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mechanical protection is important in a yard.
    Something like SY cable gives a good balance between flexibility and mechanical protection.
    However if left outdoors for extended periods the outer sheath can suffer UV from damage from direct sunlight.

When selecting the size of the lead it is important to take the size of the load and the length of run into account.
    In most cases a 3 x 2.5 would be more than sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

so is it white cable or artic cable I should be buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Tow

2.5mm HO7 rubber 3 core cable

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tow wrote: »
    2.5mm HO7 rubber 3 core cable

Agreed.
    This is also a very suitable cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement