Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite in Grange Hall?

Options
  • 04-05-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I received a note in my door from someone claiming there was known issue with pyrite in the estate.

Has anyone actually experienced it?

I'm a bit anxious about what could happen down the line after listening to some people that had it in their homes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The house right next door to me had a whole load of work and renovations done due to Pyrite. Another house across the way from me had it done too (Was talking to the owner about it).

I have a feeling that i have it in my house but no major problems just yet apart from cracks in plaster on walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ghostswimmer

Seriously? What kind of issues are you seeing or what should we keep an eye out for?

Do you know of how it gets fixed?

3 cases in the estate! What are the chances only some are affected and some are not?!

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

Seriously? What kind of issues are you seeing or what should we keep an eye out for?

Do you know of how it gets fixed?

3 cases in the estate! What are the chances only some are affected and some are not?!

Thanks for the reply.

Hi, I found this thread as I'm looking to buy a house in Grange Hall, however after reading this my confidence to go into deal is kind of shattered.
    I've done some research on pyrite, there are some engineers reports done for government.
    It is possible that you can have only couple of houses affected in estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ghostswimmer

I've been doing some research about this since I brought it up. A few things I have come across that you should consider:

Pyrite can affect one of two things; the concrete used in foundations or the land itself. In the case of the most recent issues reported, particularly of the other estate in Dunshaughlin and the ones in Grange Hall, it is the materials not the earth. Pyrite is present in building material. Under certain conditions, such as moisture etc., a chemical reaction occurs which causes the materials to expand. Therefore, you get what is termed pyrite heave.This heave leads to movement in the material and the consequences that people see (i.e. cracks etc.). It can take over 10 years before signs are seen. Depending on the percentage of pyrite present in the material, this will influence the rate of the reaction and ultimately the heave. Beware of the person that says there is no presence of pyrite. This does not mean there is no pyrite. There is only one way to be 100% sure it seems and that is the testing of the material. I have been looking at getting tests and the quotes I get are not cheap.

Builders purchase their supplies in bulk and as such, if one house has it, more than likely there are others. However, the houses in Grange Hall were built in more than one phase. So it is possible that one phase used different material to another and therefore, one group of houses could be ok and the others not. Talking to a local estate agent (believe him or not I don't know) and he believes that the houses to the front as you come in (around the green where the creche is) are all from the first phase and don't seem to have any issues. The other phase, such as the one behind them and around that area may have it according to this guy. It would not seem unreasonable because I saw huge repair works of the sitting room flow being done at one of the houses along here. That is where the pyrite would be found, in the foundations.

Apparently, some builders used material purchased from quarries that are now known to contain high levels of pyrite. If you can find out if the builder used these quarries in the construction of the house, then that would be a good start. It is what I am trying to do before I go down the road of testing. Although saying that, it is a bit like accusing someone of something - they may have done it or not, but the question will always remain!

I am still learning so any information anyone else has I would appreciate also.

To Tatrman - good luck and be careful. It is your home you are looking at.

Advertisement