Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuous Alfa 156 build thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

i've been following, just not saying much :)

although i'm not an alfa fan, i can clearly see why you love it and you have to tip your hat to any man who doesn't mind pumping far more money into a car than it's actually worth. there is only a select few (myself included) who are that committed and stupid.

do you ever feel the need to wear corduroy trousers while driving it? they would be very fitting :pac:

I'm over 6 times as much into the car by this weekend,but sure look, I'm going on the logic of that its the car I have always wanted and it's still only cost me 10% of what the ould fellas cost him.....:D
    Fantastic work, it looks great, always liked the 166.

It really came up well, must get some pictures of the interior up also.

The cars going to Don Baker again this weekend for a few bits

- new front pads
    - new rear discs and pads
    - new expansion tank
    - fresh coolant
    - new thermostat
    - new brake fluid
    - braided brake lines
    - new auxiliary belt along with idlers and tensioners
    - 2 new front arms
    - 2 new front track rod ends.

That completes the front suspension rebuild, rear suspension rebuild, cooling system overhaul.

After that it's to have the heater matrix replaced at some stage, nothing wrong with it, but I can't take a chance, so it's going to be replaced.

Wheel refurb is on the cards too, have to sort a spare set of alloys to use though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

"I don't know what to do with all this money".

I'll take some!

CianRyan wrote: »
    "I don't know what to do with all this money".

I'll take some!

Probably would have been a better investment...!

Ah I forecasted this and made funds available for such.....I'm broke now and I'm looking at flights to Italy to bring home a LHD turbo GTV....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know of a 156 that is being cleared from a premises if anyone is interested - non runner, only useful for parts, maybe.

It's in Galway, and has to be gone by next Friday, latest.

PM me for details.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know of a 156 that is being cleared from a premises if anyone is interested - non runner, only useful for parts, maybe.

It's in Galway, and has to be gone by next Friday, latest.

PM me for details.

Wish I could! Too many already! :D

Had the 166 washed at Elite Autoclean at the weekend after collecting it from Don Bakers on Saturday. New brakes and suspension and cooling components.

YlItYK.jpg

Taxed the 166 and the 156 this week as well as having the test for the 156 today too, which it passed with flying colours! Filled both with petrol as well so it's been a very expensive week...!

Worth it though to have these two as my own cars!

75enSL.jpg

qzfYVr.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

that shade of green is deliclous:cool:

Haven't updated this thread in quite a while....!

156 is working well at the moment but I'm doing quite a few miles in her these days...! Over 7000 km for the month of May!

166 is down with Don Baker getting

- new timing belt, tensioners, pulleys etc
    - new water pump,
    - oil and filter service
    - air con regas
    - brakes looked at due to spongy feel.

When it's back it should be right as rain hopefully.

***new addition to the fleet also*** :D

VA8u9e.jpg

6SESpc.jpg

2001 GTV 2.0 16v. Full history since new, had a full respray 18 months ago and it was actually a very high quality job. New belts and serviced by Don Baker last weekend. Wheels are hideous but I'm looking for an OEM set at the moment.

I'm happy with it, it drives fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's a beautiful car, no doubt.
    I have to ask though, where's the green one? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

staggering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sooo nice.

davycc wrote: »
    that shade of green is deliclous:cool:

Looks well kept car with all the money pumped into it. Nice model as well. Only downside would for me be the colour. Looks dated but maybe looks better irl ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Looks well kept car with all the money pumped into it. Nice model as well. Only downside would for me be the colour. Looks dated but maybe looks better irl ?

I honestly don't think the man could have picked a better colour for the car if he tried.

opinions are subjective. I disagree, its not a criticism as such

not sure either maybe black or silver

Very few colours seem to actually suit a 166 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

opinions are subjective. I disagree, its not a criticism as such

not sure either maybe black or silver

Very few colours seem to actually suit a 166 imo

166s photo badly. They look a million times better in the flesh. Except silver. A Silver 166 is one of the very few cars that pulls of silver very well.
    But this.green 166 is unreal in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Wow I never realised how sexy Alfas are until now, that green OMG I want to have a lick lOl

Haha cheers James...! It's certainly an interesting colour alright.

Should have it back hopefully this weekend. Belts, water pump, oil service, all filters, new thermostat, brake fluid change new spark plugs etc. should keep the engine working healthy for a while. I need to get the air con regassed at some stage also.

156 has done 6000 miles in the last six weeks so requires an oil and filter change next week. I'll get that done when I collect the 166 possibly.

The GTV is going back in this week to have it NCT'd. Clutch is biting a little higher than I'd like it to be too so needs to possibly be changed. I need to get 4 new tyres on it too as the current rubber is atrocious on it.

The Mercedes is running well these days. Finished machine polishing her at the weekend so she really looks very well. German paint is fantastic for detailing.

dRxXqF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Dude ......... ^ now i just hate you .........^

Dude ......... ^ now i just hate you .........^

Does that mean I get a discount on detailing services now....? :D

• Advertisement

Hello thread! My little 156 has come out of retirement as I'm back in Ireland for the next while again. I have it on the road at the moment and she's all insured and taxed and NCT'd.

Driving it the last few weeks the suspension feels tired so ordered a full kit for the front and rear to freshen it up. Consists of;

2 x Front shocks and springs
    2 x Rear shocks and springs
    2 x Upper wishbones
    2 x Lower wishbones
    2 x track rod ends
    2 x front drop links
    2 x front top mounts
    2 x rear axle drop link
    2 x pan hard arms
    2 x rear suspension rod (front)
    2 x rear suspension rod (rear)

Have an ARB with new bushes to go into it too. Have to look into the timing belts and that towards the end of the year too.

Recent picture of the car from yesterday;

21ik4.jpg

Advertisement