Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faster marathon course: Amsterdam versus Dublin

• 04-05-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31

A friend and I are looking to run an autumn marathon this year. We are looking to break the magic 3 hour mark. I suggested that we run the Amsterdam marathon as I believe that it is a flat, fast course. He said that it could be possible to break the 3 hour mark in Dublin. I have run the Dublin marathon in 2010 and 2011 so I know where the uphill sections are. I really think that Dublin would be a harder course. Any opinions on which marathon we should target?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've done both, Amsterdam easier course for me.

I've entered it again this year.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

However, you might consider the added travel and stress, big expo, strange starting location, strange bed etc that running in an unfamiliar city brings! Might not bother you, but it does me. I am always 'happier' running in a local familiar event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It's an interesting debate.

Some of the more experienced marathoners that I've spoken to have pros and cons about each.

Amsterdam -

Technically flatter though more twists, turns and double backs tend to suck the legs as much or more than hills.
    Out of the city & back - windy section along the Amsteel river & less support in the middle section.
    Trip away.

Dublin -
    Hilly (relatively speaking) though train for them and you'll be grand.
    Support from line to line (can be positive or negative depends on you)
    Pacers exceptional!

The question I'd ask is how many go to Amsterdam to chase qualifying times? I too will be going back to Amsterdam though I fancy I'd get a better time in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Wally Runs wrote: »
    However, you might consider the added travel and stress, big expo, strange starting location, strange bed etc that running in an unfamiliar city brings! Might not bother you, but it does me. I am always 'happier' running in a local familiar event.

That's certainly Amsterdam :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That's certainly Amsterdam :D;)

Ah yes, well spotted sir:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was entered in Amsterdam a few years ago but didn't run due to illness, so just watched from the sidelines.

I think that for someone going for a 3hr time Dublin would be better as you've got the pacers and better support all the way round. Someone going for a sub 2:30 time then Amsterdam would be better as they have a few more superduper fast people to chase. Some of the other time targets that people may be aiming could be benefits of either. If you are wanting a 4hr pacer to follow for instance then Dublin would be better as the roads are wider and you won't end up getting knocked into the canal on a narrow path, but if you are able to pace yourself around then maybe the superflat Holland would be just the ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I was weighing up both also OP for this autumn. Went with Amsterdam in the end due to the flatness and have also ran Dublin before so new sights to see in Amsterdam and make a holiday of it! But yes, the crowds are amazing in Dublin, the whole way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Am running DCM this year. If there was a good race in spring in Ireland people would run it. Cork should be in spring :/

Advertisement