Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Facts About County Clare (or it's People)

• 04-05-2014 9:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's a very interesting thread in AH about Dublin and facts that people may not know about it, I thought it would be a good topic for a thread in here.

I'll start, Clare Minor footballers won the first Minor All Ireland, which trophy is named after a Clare man Tom Markham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

John Philip Holland from Liscannor invented the first submarine.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/holland.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Clareman wrote: »
    There's a very interesting thread in AH about Dublin and facts that people may not know about it, I thought it would be a good topic for a thread in here.

I'll start, Clare Minor footballers won the first Minor All Ireland, which trophy is named after a Clare man Tom Markham

You took the easy one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We invented Duty Free shopping
    (Brendan O'Regan 1947)

And Tom Steele with the diving bell (well, a revised version anyway)

The drilling device that got to those Chilean miners was designed by Mincon in Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Pope Urban II considered declaring a crusade to liberate Ennis.

• Advertisement

The pope is the bishop of Kilfenora

The last Catholic bishop of the diocese was James Augustine O'Daly who died in France in 1749. In 1750 the Catholic church united Kilfenora with Kilmacduagh and in 1883 both dioceses were united with the relatively new diocese of Galway. To this day, the official title for prelate in the see of Galway is Bishop of Galway and Kilmacduagh and Apostolic Administrator of Kilfenora. Technically, this means that the Pope is the Bishop of Kilfenora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

clare won the first ever "back door all ireland"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

pilate 1 wrote: »

Clare are the only team to beat Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp to win an All-Ireland.
    Conor Clancy has won the most medals as a Clare player.
    Brian Lohan was only a sub for the Comp in the Harty.
    Davey Fitz scored a goal in 2 Munster finals in the same year

Sounds dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Brian Boru was a clareman from Killaloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Clare won the first all Ireland "under lights"

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

999/112 wrote: »
    Clare won first all Ireland "under lights"

Clare won the first All Ireland held on a Saturday. [I think]

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We invented Duty Free shopping
    (Brendan O'Regan 1947)

& Irish Coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Jim Martin wrote: »
    & Irish Coffee!
    I love an Irish Coffee but I'm not sure we can claim The Irish Coffee, Jim ;)

The Irish Coffee was created in 1943 in Foynes, Co. Limerick by a chef called Joe Sheridan from Co. Tyrone. (Brendan O'Regan recruited him to work in his restaurant in the Foynes Terminal Building).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Charlotte Brontë honeymooned in Kilkee! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Rather than enlightening you with facts, I have a question. Eight people were convicted of conspiring to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. Most of them were from Maryland, including one Michael O'Loughlin. Surely he must have had Clare ancestry. Anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Charlotte Brontë honeymooned in Kilkee! :pac:

I didn't know that!
    This article explains more.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I love an Irish Coffee but I'm not sure we can claim The Irish Coffee, Jim ;)

The Irish Coffee was created in 1943 in Foynes, Co. Limerick by a chef called Joe Sheridan from Co. Tyrone. (Brendan O'Regan recruited him to work in his restaurant in the Foynes Terminal Building).

Ooops! Sorry there now - I was thinking of Shannon!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Richard Harris used to holiday in Kilkee, used to refuse to take the stair to a local restaurant and insisted on climbing in the window on the second floor. There's a statue to him there now which was officially unveiled by Russell Crowe.

Clareman wrote: »
    Richard Harris...used to refuse to take the stair to a local restaurant and insisted on climbing in the window on the second floor.
    What? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Muhammad Ali is an Ennis man:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0901/121240-alim/

And Danny Devito is related (I think) to the good folks of Numero Uno Pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Muhammad Ali is an Ennis man:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0901/121240-alim/

And Danny Devito is related (I think) to the good folks of Numero Uno Pizza.

Ah no! Sure he's a Crusheen man. Like yourself!

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ali's+NOT+from+Ennis%3B+%26+HIS+GREAT-GRANDFATHER+WAS+BORN+IN..+KENTUCKY.-a0209066708

Balagan wrote: »

Well, he's a Clare man at any rate. Imagine he had taken up hurling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Billy Lacey born in wexford but grew up in kilrush was the first irish man to play for liverpool

Ennis man willie boland holds the record at cardiff city as there longest serving player in the clubs history

I heard once that Kylie Minouge has roots in Co Clare. But I have no further info on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I heard once that Kylie Minouge has roots in Co Clare. But I have no further info on that.

I've heard that too, East Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've heard that too, East Clare.

Yea, most likely. There are a lot of Minogues scatterd around East Clare.

Billy Lacey born in wexford but grew up in kilrush was the first irish man to play for liverpool

Ennis man willie boland holds the record at cardiff city as there longest serving player in the clubs history

Kevin Sheedy (who scored against England in Italia 90) is related to Sheedy's Shop in Darragh.

Marilyn from Home and Away was around West Clare years ago visiting her long lost relations as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

In December 1974 secret peace talks between senior protestant clergymen and members of the IRA army council and Sinn Féin took place in Smyth's Hotel (long derelict) in Feakle, East Clare.

Unfortunately (120!) over-eager Gardaí and 60 (!) Irish special branch officers were on their way to arrest the IRA representatives and the peace talks went down the flush. The participants were warned, though, and could escape.

But at least it led to a six months ceasefire.

Advertisement