Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Facts About County Clare (or it's People)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Carry wrote: »
    In December 1974 secret peace talks between senior protestant clergymen and members of the IRA army council and Sinn Féin took place in Smyth's Hotel (long derelict) in Feakle, East Clare.

Unfortunately (120!) over-eager Gardaí and 60 (!) Irish special branch officers were on their way to arrest the IRA representatives and the peace talks went down the flush. The participants were warned, though, and could escape.

But at least it led to a six months ceasefire.

And local legend states that the main discussions took place in a local farm house while the distraction took place at Smyth's

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There used to be a set of bunkers overlooking the airport, with a tunnel connecting them. I presume for defending the airport from vikings / english, nazis, or perhaps martians. I think they buried them a good few years back.

Didn't Che Guevara visit Kilkee at some stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

MarkR wrote: »
    There used to be a set of bunkers overlooking the airport, with a tunnel connecting them. I presume for defending the airport from vikings / english, nazis, or perhaps martians. I think they buried them a good few years back.

Didn't Che Guevara visit Kilkee at some stage?

at least one of those bunkers is still there as i am looking out my office window at it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Howard Marks used Shannon Airport to bring through a lot of drugs! He also had a place in Newmarket.

at least one of those bunkers is still there as i am looking out my office window at it

Cool. Is it accessible? You could go urban caving during lunch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Carry wrote: »
    Smyth's Hotel (long derelict) in Feakle, .

Smyth's hotel also featured in a 1994 Irish language film starring Eamonn Kelly, the storyteller called An Gobán Saor based on the legend of the same name.

It also features indoor and outdoor scenes filmed at the Blacksticks pub O'Callaghan's Mills.

MarkR wrote: »
    Cool. Is it accessible? You could go urban caving during lunch :D

its usually full of kids when they have school holidays,i hear it goes to another bunker via a tunnel
    will get a photo up

IMAG0505.jpg

Its directly above ther pole on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

The Great Stage of Radio City in New York was designed by Peter Clark the grandson of a West Clare emigrant who settled in the deep south just after the great famine. The term jumping on the bandwagon came from there as all the equipment is operated by pumped water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Earnest Shackleton visited Kilkee and Kate Bush did holiday in and around there as well.

The top fact is, I just typed that in Clare, right now.

• Advertisement

The film The Boys and Girl from County Clare was not shot in County Clare.

But the following films had scenes shot at the Cliffs of Moher

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    The Princess Bride
    Ryan's Daughter (Storm scene filmed near Kilkee)
    Hear my song
    The Yank
    The Iguana with the Tongue of fire
    Morlang

There may be more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

For three weeks in June/July 1995, all Dunnes Stores in Ireland (except Ennis) were closed due a strike over zero hour contracts.

Approximately 20 staff passed the picket in Ennis and the store remained open but the store received little support from customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was that when the record shop in dunnes closed down?
    Was it owned by a clare fm dj or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Was that when the record shop in dunnes closed down?
    Was it owned by a clare fm dj or something?
    I remember that store, Woodfords had it, it closed in 1996 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

There are 64 windows in the Ennis Garda station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

maiden wrote: »

That's some vista!

But still no perspective or insight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Earnest Shackleton visited Kilkee.

I doubt that that is so. Shackleton was born in Kilkea Co. Kildare which may have given rise to some confusion. Visiting Kilkee as a kid, I think I recall being told that a local tourist brochure had once claimed that one of the local sights was the house where Shackleton was born. Utter bunkum, but then the bar in a local hotel had a notice claiming that it opened in 1792.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The French composer, Hector Berlioz (Symphonie Fantastique, etc.) married an Ennis girl, Harriet Smithson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Talking of films, in the 60's a film was shot around Ennistymon and Lahinch called "I Was Happy Here".

In 1943 a B-24 Liberator got lost heading for the UK and landed on the beach in Lahinch. The plane was looted by some locals and a bit of a standoff occured after some gas cannisters were nicked. The guards let it be known that no charges woud be made if the cannisters happened to wander back to the plane, which they then did :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Kurt Russell starred in a movie that was partially filmed around St. Flannan's in Ennis.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Kurt Russell starred in a movie that was partially filmed around St. Flannan's in Ennis.

Was it Stalag 17?

Was it Stalag 17?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Has the only inland Coast guard Station in Ireland!

For your viewing pleasure.

Go about a minute in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭squonk

The shots of the guys climbing the Cliffs of Insanity from The Princess Bride were filmed at the Cliffs of Moher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Possibly the largest hoard of gold artifacts ever discovered in Europe was found in 1854 by workmen in Mooghaun North, Newmarket on Fergus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

maiden wrote: »

The old Garda station in Shannon Industrial Estate used to have a window shaped like a swastika. Clear as day when driving towards it from the GECAS building, it was removed when they moved out. I used to sign on there back in the 80's and always smiled when walking up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

MrsD007 wrote: »
    For three weeks in June/July 1995, all Dunnes Stores in Ireland (except Ennis) were closed due a strike over zero hour contracts.

Approximately 20 staff passed the picket in Ennis and the store remained open but the store received little support from customers.

i was one of those 20, actually there was probably a lot more than 20. And after a few days a lot of customers crossed the picket.

Most of us were not members of a union and only working there as summer jobs from college.

• Advertisement

The old Garda station in Shannon Industrial Estate used to have a window shaped like a swastika. Clear as day when driving towards it from the GECAS building, it was removed when they moved out. I used to sign on there back in the 80's and always smiled when walking up to it.

Where was the old Garda station?

Advertisement