Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Na canúintí - A beginner's question.

• 04-05-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Dia daoibh, a chairde.

I'm essentially a complete beginner in the Irish language. After a few years of false starts I am making a serious attempt to learn Gaeilge. I am now able to string some sentences/concepts together and listening to Raidió na Gaeltachta is helping me get to grips with some of the sounds. I am going along to my first cíorcal comhrá meeting next week to go in at the deep end. I'm hoping that even with my rather halting Irish I'll be able to learn a lot through talking to more fluent speakers.

Yet I'm already coming up against the issue of na canúintí. The book I'm using to study notes quite a number of dialectical exceptions even in the first few chapters, and one member of the cíorcal I am chatting to via email has a clear Connacht dialect ('Tíocht', mar shampla, agus 'arist').

My question is, what is the best advice regarding the dialects that you would give to a beginner? Is it best to pick a dialect from the beginning and just try your best to imitate it (given you're likely not surrounded by people speaking that dialect), or should you just learn Caighdeán Irish first and then refine your dialect later once you can communicate. I guess a third option is to just try and pick up Irish organically from different places and end up speaking a mixture.

I know that as a second-language Irish speaker (let alone one living outside Ireland) I'll likely always have a slightly strange Irish, but I would like it to at least sound natural for me and not be completely unpleasant for another gaeilgeoir to listen to.

Míle buíochas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brigitimo

Dia dhuit!

Congrats on doing this under your own steam, many people let their Irish fall by the way side as they grow-up, and you should be commended for taking it up on your own.

As a person who went to an all-Irish speaking school I found that just picking it up organically is probably the best means of learning. We had teachers from all over the country so as students we were introduced to a number of dialects from the outset. As long as you can understand what's being said and others can understand you that's fine, a mixture of dialects will go largely unnoticed!

Go néírí leat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

In at the deep end, fair play to you, it's the only way!

I'd say focus on speaking the Caighdeán to begin with and aim to understand the different dialectical variations. A native speaker will usually understand someone speaking the Caighdeán. As you gain confidence you can tailor your speech to the person you're speaking to and repeat back to them the words/phrases they are using.

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    In at the deep end, fair play to you, it's the only way!

I'd say focus on speaking the Caighdeán to begin with and aim to understand the different dialectical variations. A native speaker will usually understand someone speaking the Caighdeán. As you gain confidence you can tailor your speech to the person you're speaking to and repeat back to them the words/phrases they are using.

Go n-éirí leat!

I'm in full agreement with Poll Dubh - even though many like to knock the Caighdeán - it's a great launch pad for learning the basics. You can concentrate on a particular dialect at a later stage if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blackpool123

Maith thu ExiledMike!

I am in a similar situation, done an evening course before christmas, 2 nights a week for 6 weeks. Trying to become comfortable to hold a conversation as gaeilge.

I have been going to Ciorcal Comhra's for the last 6 weeks and feel great after every one. Even if I only pick up one or two new words/phrases.
    Agree with Poll Dubh re the dialects, look after the basics first and build up your vocab from there!

Stick with the CC's, I think they are one of the best ways to learn and improve your Irish.

Gach rath ort! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

In general I would say dont worry too much about the dialects when you start off.

Most learners have an interest in a particular dialect, but its common enough for people to end up with a mix of dialects, with a bias towards one or another of them.

The main thing I would suggest is to focus on learning the language first, not one particular dialect, as it goes on you can bear the dialects in mind and focus on one more if you like.
    The more important thing is getting to recognise the different dialects when they are spoken. Tuneing into the dialect and working out the sound patterns and phrases with each makes it easier to understand people over time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement