Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact between China and Ireland

Options
  • 04-05-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I'm heading off to China in a month for 5 weeks as a volunteer and was wondering does anyone know the best way to stay in touch with family and friends back home?
    I'm aware of issues with facebook and twitter in China but was hoping I will be able to use viber or skype if I've wifi? Can anyone enlighten me on this?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Hi I use Skype most days to talk to our office in Shanghai so that is probably the best.

They don't like google so you cannot google hangout. Expect a few seconds delay here and there on the Skype call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've used Skype from China with no issues where I've had decent wifi. You can buy a subscription to call Ireland at very reasonable rates. (120 mins to landlines and mobiles for about €3.40 for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 summerj

Should i get the subscription before I leave do you think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

summerj wrote: »
    Should i get the subscription before I leave do you think? :)

Doesn't matter - you'll have no problem accessing the Skype website there. If you're a big talker there are unlimited packages but they don't cover calls to mobiles in Ireland.

The package I mentioned is €3.32 per month for 120 minutes. If you use up the minutes you can just buy another subscription. I use the Skype app on my mobile so it's just like making a normal phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 summerj

Okay perfect thank you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement