Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new lawnmower no engine oil?

• 04-05-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all got a new lawnmower in woodies today with briggs and Stratton engine, would this engine come with no oil in it? Looks like it's empty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

You'll have to buy the oil and the petrol :-D they don't come with the machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

You'll have to buy the oil and the petrol :-D they don't come with the machine :)

Cheers,
    Knew about the petrol alright, thought it would come with oil or at least a bottle of it in the box,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Make sure you get the proper "Lawnmower oil" - SAE 30 (IIRC)

Avns1s wrote: »
    Make sure you get the proper "Lawnmower oil" - SAE 30 (IIRC)

According to manual gives a list of oil I can use

Oil list in book
    sae 30
    10w30
    synthetic 5w30

• Advertisement

Oil list in book
    sae 30
    10w30
    synthetic 5w30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

i always use 10/30 in mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

kerb wrote: »
    Hi all got a new lawnmower in woodies today with briggs and Stratton engine, would this engine come with no oil in it? Looks like it's empty
    I'd be surprised they don't throw in a bottle or two when you buy it. It's worth asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

That's what you get for buying from essentially a supermarket, if you bought from a dealer it would have oil and a drain of petrol in it from the pdi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That's a pity.
    How was it tested as being good if it had no oil. ??
    We buy lawnmowers etc through work and they come with oil, and I like to see everything started before I take it away. They also do a free oil change after 10 hours use.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    That's a pity.
    How was it tested as being good if it had no oil. ??
    We buy lawnmowers etc through work and they come with oil, and I like to see everything started before I take it away. They also do a free oil change after 10 hours use.

What the supermarket does a free oil change?

The op has stated there is no oil in his/her machine.

Most supermarket mowers aren't even fully assembled let alone started in the shop.

Sorry it's not a supermarket.

So you would get oil in it, that's what I said......

Hard to beat a small Independant shop. Do people put no price on customer service or aftercare backup.
    Woodies is fine for small stuff but a lawnmower is a complicated item with many moving parts, OP has demonstrated why buyin a lawnmower in Woodies is risky.

Nothing like repeating what people have already put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I think they come without oil because the engine is not meant to be turned upside down with oil in it and this will happen when it's being transported from the factory in a box.

Advertisement