Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Network camera

Options
  • 04-05-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am trying to get my network camera wired into my home router but I'm having problems.
    The camera is an axia q6032-e power over ethernet camera.
    I have a crossover cable running from the router to the power section and a straight through cable from the poe slot to the camera.
    Is this correct or should both be crossover cables?
    The reason I'm asking is because now that everything is connected and I try to ping the camera I'm losing 50% minimum of the packets.
    There is no firewalls on the laptop or the router in the way and the cables are perfect as I have tested them.
    Thanks,
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Put a short cable between the Power Unit and the camera temporarily

( read the manual in case there is a minimun length or something daft )

Might be sensitive to power loss if its a long cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Usually they both would be straight through cables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Usually they both would be straight through cables
    Thats what I thought but the modem light would only blink slowly when wired that way. ie maybe once every second vs loads of times a second as I would expect to see.
    It blinks normally when wired as a crossover. Really can't understand it tbh.
    Works fine with a short crossover cable wired from my laptop to the power brick then to the camera as opposed to connecting through the router :/
    Tested the cable from the router to the power brick and its fine

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought but the modem light would only blink slowly when wired that way. ie maybe once every second vs loads of times a second as I would expect to see.
    It blinks normally when wired as a crossover. Really can't understand it tbh.
    Works fine with a short crossover cable wired from my laptop to the power brick then to the camera as opposed to connecting through the router :/
    Tested the cable from the router to the power brick and its fine

Can you do a better test than a flashing light, how about a ping?

Can you do a better test than a flashing light, how about a ping?

I've done ping tests with a minimum of 50% loss on a crossover and not reachable on straight through?

• Advertisement

I've done ping tests with a minimum of 50% loss on a crossover and not reachable on straight through?

It may be in a completely different subnet to your router. You may have to set your network card to a static ip and connect to it directly to configure it.

It may be in a completely different subnet to your router. You may have to set your network card to a static ip and connect to it directly to configure it.

Yes I'm starting to believe its the router alright.
    When connected directly to the sky router there are no lights whatsoever but when I connect it to an old eircom one it lights up fine. May have to reconfigure my network to work on the eircom modem :)
    I'll let ye know how I get on

Yes I'm starting to believe its the router alright.
    When connected directly to the sky router there are no lights whatsoever but when I connect it to an old eircom one it lights up fine. May have to reconfigure my network to work on the eircom modem :)
    I'll let ye know how I get on

It's very doubtful it's the router. It's most likely the camera is set to a static ip outside the subnet of your router and does not accept DHCP, therefore it's not connected to your lan.

What ip is the camera? What ip is the router?

Got it sorted in the end.
    It turned out that the camera doesnt like working off a second router and also doesnt like the sky router. Wired it straight into an old eircom router and its going grand now and ports forwarding correctly to work from outside the home network.
    Thanks for the help guys :)

I've no idea what you mean by second router, you do not want a second router on your lan, you want one subnet and a single hop to the internet

• Advertisement

I needed the second router for the ethernet ports. I am currently running 7 ethernet cables. It was just cheaper than buying a router with more ports :pac:

I needed the second router for the ethernet ports. I am currently running 7 ethernet cables. It was just cheaper than buying a router with more ports :pac:

Therein lies part of your problem, you need a switch to add extra ports, not a router. You should only have one router, if you add a second you must disable the wan port to stop it routing and disable DHCP to make it act like a 4 port switch

I had all that done. I assumed it was basically a switch after all that was done?

I had all that done. I assumed it was basically a switch after all that was done?

Yes, it should behave like a switch. It's a good idea to disable as many things as you can, as well as dhcp, disable Nat, the firewall and upnp as they can cause issues

had all that done. the camera just didnt like a secondary modem. everything else is grand though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

i see a 16 port switch with POE in your future .....

why do ya see that? :P

gctest50 wrote: »
    i see a 16 port switch with POE in your future .....

They're very expensive and then the camera needs to take 48V to suit the 802.3af POE standard. Most ip cameras take 12-24V
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're very expensive and then the camera needs to take 48V to suit the 802.3af POE standard. Most ip cameras take 12-24V
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet
    You can get external PoE splitters that can deliver a variety of different voltages (5,9,12,24 etc.). I have a TP-Link one that supplies 5V to a micro USB connector on a Raspberry Pi for example.

Advertisement