Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Shoe for Overpronator

Options
  • 05-05-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭

I currently run in Brooks Adrenalines for distance stuff but was wondering what might be a good shoe for overpronator for shorter stuff and that might be suitable for track races /speed sessions on track?

Any obvious candidate on the market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Brooks ST5 is a natural option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

AKW wrote: »
    Brooks ST5 is a natural option.

Cheers AKW. Have been doing some research in Google land too and was coming to that conclusion based on the research. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually worn both. I might just head out to AK anyway and try them out and see how they feel.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RedRunner wrote: »
    Cheers AKW. Have been doing some research in Google land too and was coming to that conclusion based on the research. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually worn both. I might just head out to AK anyway and try them out and see how they feel.
    Thanks.

The current one is a nice colour too ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    The current one is a nice colour too ;)

As long as it's not pink, I'm not too fussy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I used to wear the Adrenaline, ran a couple of marathons in them but found them a bit clunky and I was heel striking like mad in them. Last year I got a pair of Asics DS trainers as a lighter shoe for the faster stuff, but I ended up running more and more miles in them, culminating in DCM last year and London this year. They're my only training shoe now. I really like them and whilst I overpronate a fair bit on one foot they have just enough support for me. Funnily enough whilst version 18 and 19 are very similar, I find the 19 to have less support, I think that's down to a new upper material.
    I recently picked up a pair of Asics DS racer 10s and have about 20 miles on them including a 10k race, they feel great with a little bit of cushion, definitely less support but I think even at this point I would be able to race a half in them. When buying Racers I had tried on the ST5 and they felt similarish to the DS trainer in bulk so I went with the lighter shoe.

• Advertisement

I used to wear the Adrenaline, ran a couple of marathons in them but found them a bit clunky and I was heel striking like mad in them. Last year I got a pair of Asics DS trainers as a lighter shoe for the faster stuff, but I ended up running more and more miles in them, culminating in DCM last year and London this year. They're my only training shoe now. I really like them and whilst I overpronate a fair bit on one foot they have just enough support for me. Funnily enough whilst version 18 and 19 are very similar, I find the 19 to have less support, I think that's down to a new upper material.
    I recently picked up a pair of Asics DS racer 10s and have about 20 miles on them including a 10k race, they feel great with a little bit of cushion, definitely less support but I think even at this point I would be able to race a half in them. When buying Racers I had tried on the ST5 and they felt similarish to the DS trainer in bulk so I went with the lighter shoe.

Thanks OP . From my reading in other places it does seem to be a personal preference but with a few candidates.The Asics DS came up too as possibilities elsewhere. At least I've a shortlist now and thanks for sharing your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey RR

I have a pair of ST5's and have used them in a lot of races - weight wise, they are a good transition shoe to a lighter shoe.
    Definitely a lot of support in them.

Downsides:
    (1) Change the laces ASAP - they have opened on me in 3 races.
    (2) Tried them on long runs this year for Marathon training - feet got terrible blisters.

I'd go to AK and try on a few pairs - when they sold me ST5's I was looking specifically for a racer that was good for up to Marathons.
    If you're looking for something for just shorter faster stuff - they may have more options.

Best to be clear on what exactly you want them for. (or be like me and develop a running shoe buying addiction)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Hi RR.

I switched to the St5's in 2012 and now use them as my main training shoe. I'll echo what people have said about changing the laces as they are the only downside for me. I came from the Brooks Ravenna and was amazed at how light they were. I started using them just for sessions but quickly switched to using them for LSR's too. I've been fortunate enough not to have any problems with them.

Hi RR.

I switched to the St5's in 2012 and now use them as my main training shoe. I'll echo what people have said about changing the laces as they are the only downside for me. I came from the Brooks Ravenna and was amazed at how light they were. I started using them just for sessions but quickly switched to using them for LSR's too. I've been fortunate enough not to have any problems with them.
    Hey RR

I have a pair of ST5's and have used them in a lot of races - weight wise, they are a good transition shoe to a lighter shoe.
    Definitely a lot of support in them.

Downsides:
    (1) Change the laces ASAP - they have opened on me in 3 races.
    (2) Tried them on long runs this year for Marathon training - feet got terrible blisters.

I'd go to AK and try on a few pairs - when they sold me ST5's I was looking specifically for a racer that was good for up to Marathons.
    If you're looking for something for just shorter faster stuff - they may have more options.

Best to be clear on what exactly you want them for. (or be like me and develop a running shoe buying addiction)

Thanks lads. Just looking for something I could use up to 10k racing wise and also for doing sessions on track. I reckon I need more support any longer than that. I'm hoping the lighter shoe might help with improving the times over shorter distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

At what pace/time, say a 5K race, does a racing shoe become something to consider? Currently use Mizuno Wave Inspires for everything, 5K to Marathon training and racing.

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    At what pace/time, say a 5K race, does a racing shoe become something to consider? Currently use Mizuno Wave Inspires for everything, 5K to Marathon training and racing.

To be honest I haven't got a clue. I'm working on the assumption that I could probably get away with not having as much support as I have in the Adrenalines for distances up to 10k but others seem to be able to go longer in the lighter shoes. It's a learning curve for me on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I found this to be an interesting general read on the subject as I don't have much of a clue either!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056685118&page=1#post79450364

I found this to be an interesting general read on the subject as I don't have much of a clue either!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056685118&page=1#post79450364

Nice find!

I did a search before I opened this thread. Must have missed this one.

Thought I'd let you know after a trip to AK today I ended up with a pair of ne Brooks ST5s. Went to B2R first but didn't have anything in my size so ended up in Ashtown branch. Tried the Asics DS Trainer, Racer, a pair of Puma something or others and I think Mizuno sayonaras? The DS Trainers were too narrow and too much of a snug fit so they didn't feel right. Best fits were the ST5s and the DS Racers. If I'd had the money I would have bought both but opted for the ST5s as they just felt right. Brought them out for a spin this evening and I'm happy I made that choice. Still good cushioning and I could see how these might be good even up to HM distance.

Thanks for all the advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Thought I'd let you know after a trip to AK today I ended up with a pair of ne Brooks ST5s. Went to B2R first but didn't have anything in my size so ended up in Ashtown branch. Tried the Asics DS Trainer, Racer, a pair of Puma something or others and I think Mizuno sayonaras? The DS Trainers were too narrow and too much of a snug fit so they didn't feel right. Best fits were the ST5s and the DS Racers. If I'd had the money I would have bought both but opted for the ST5s as they just felt right. Brought them out for a spin this evening and I'm happy I made that choice. Still good cushioning and I could see how these might be good even up to HM distance.

Nice meeting you today,I don't think you will have any problem going up to the half marathon in the ST5s.

Nice meeting you today,I don't think you will have any problem going up to the half marathon in the ST5s.

Ha ha, nice one. Didn't realise I was in the presence of another Boardsie! Thanks a million. Great service as per usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with the ST5's, I'm on my 6th pair and use them for about 50% of my mileage, everything from a 30 min recovery run to the Marathon.
    They're a great all round shoe, good value, well made, light enough with just that little bit of support.
    They could do with a little bit of refresh at this stage, a 10 - 20 gm drop in weight and a couple of mm off the heel to toe drop if Brooks are taking requests :P, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen with the 'pure' project ongoing.

Advertisement