Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this sort of stuff..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Planning to get the scope out again this weekend, just read that the 10th is ment to be the best time to view Saturn, as it will be at its closest approach to Earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Haha was trying to figure out those features until I realised you're in the Southern hemisphere :o have to admit you probably have more spectacular skies, must get down there some day...

Yes, sky down here looks a bit different to home, I'm originally from Dundalk. 1st time I seen the moon it took a bit of getting used to.

The good thing about where I live at the minute, is the town is small with hardly any street lights, so 30mins drive and your far enough away to avoid the light pollution. As good as it is, its pretty hard to get a chance to look at the stars, here you have to contend with getting a spot that's not overrun with snakes, spiders, fruit bats or mosquitoes.

Thankfully as the weather is getting colder, the mozzies should start to die off, so at least that's one less thing to worry about!

Eventually the clouds cleared and the sky was twinkling with stars. We went out before saturn was up and managed to view the moon, mars and jupiter, then after much frustration we found saturn.

14151184414_70230fb438_s.jpgIMG_3920 by dotdesign1, on Flickr

14127836446_184941b570_s.jpgIMG_3925 by dotdesign1, on Flickr

14147701551_51a9535894_s.jpgIMG_3910 by dotdesign1, on Flickr

14151183394_9da359bfb9_s.jpgIMG_3929 by dotdesign1, on Flickr

Still not too sure what settings to use for planet photos....

Got a look at Saturn again last night. Managed to see several moons. It would have been a good evening to go to a dark site, as the moon didn't rise until 8.40pm, but we had to just make do with our front lawn. Next doors outside light was on and there was a slight bit of cloud cover.

Managed to see Omega Centauri / NGC 5139, but wasnt able to pick out any other galaxies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great pics, well done.....keep it up and keep sharing:)

Advertisement