Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pi/Arduino modding

Options
  • 05-05-2014 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know much about this?

I have basic C/C++ and MATLAB knowledge, and was considering a summer project.

I want to use a microcomputer as a controller for some sensors and servos I don't yet have. For my semester final I got to code a Lego mind storm robot to navigate a room which was near, but I have my mind set on a gardening project.

My family owns townhomes where the back gardens are great for growing things to the extreme - ie. In the high of summer, plants will start to burn. I want to build a mechanism that will extend a sunshade mesh during harsh weather conditions and retract it so plants can get full light when it won't damage them. That's phase 1. Phase 1.5, I plan out dedicated zones for different plants with various tolerances.

Phase 2, I want to design/build a suite that can monitor individual plants for moisture and pH. I know such sensors exist, but that's all I know about them, and then upload that information to the internet in a spreadsheet or something. That's way far ahead thinking though. If be happy with the deploying shade. Phase 3 would be finding servos to control irrigation to specific plants/water lines. Right now we just an off the shelf timing unit.

Where do I even get started??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks, but not really what I was looking to do. For one, installing anything on the exterior wall is an HOA violation. For another, it's boring; this is 40% about gardening and 60% about SCIENCE.

that was just to show whats out there - you could just order/use the motors

or head to the junkyard and get a few windscreen wiper motors or similar if you like a bit of fun

http://www.instructables.com/id/Garduino-Gardening-Arduino/?ALLSTEPS

Thats exactly what my dad said :mad: but I will probably still tinker with this :p you can build a wooden awning with string and wood for far less than a porch awning. This is more for a permeable mesh than a true shade.

One thing he was interested in, is if we build an accordian-lift table and attach a motor to it, we can raise our tomato plants up by a couple feet/a meter on command, giving them an extra 3 hours of daylight in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'd start with measuring. Get raspberry pi, cobbler board or gpio extension board and some sensors (rain, soil humidity, temperature, light, check ebay) and try to put it together. Learn how to measure and display the values. Develop some rules (temp over 20 and soil humidity below X --> pull the cover). Start with cover simulation, not the real thing. Do not forget to share the results! :-)

If you know c/c++ python should be easy

Something simple to start: https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/temperature/

Future idea: make a webpage showing all readings + remote control :-)

• Advertisement

neat concept, which just proves the possibilities. The growbox is an upcharge on buying the materials yourself though.

Advertisement